Saturday, June 25, 2011
"our two releases of MAD ABOUT YOU didn't sell enough to warrant the expensive of acquiring the last two seasons."
"Yes it will continue."
Not since NYPD Blue has there been a cop drama like this. It has a twist of danger, sex and high-stakes drama. Each episode follows the lives of five inexperienced rookies plunged into the world of big city policing, where even the smallest mistake can have life or death consequences. This group of twenty-somethings is about to learn the hard way that no amount of training can prepare them for the job...or for real life. The series stars Missy Peregrym as Andy McNally, Enuka Okuma as Traci Nash, Gregory Smith as Dov Epstein, Travis Milne as Chris Diaz, Charlotte Sullivan as Gail Peck, Eric Johnson as Luke Callaghan, Matt Gordon as Oliver Shaw, Noam Jenkins as Jerry Barber, Melanie Nicholls-King as Noelle Williams, and Ben Bass as Sam Swarek.
The first season has 13 episodes. We get all 13 of them on this DVD! Among the memorable episodes are the premiere episode "Fresh Paint," where a roup of rookie police officers start their first day, however their first call is to a domestic disturbance, which turns out to be a murder and in an attempt to catch the shooter, Andy McNally unknowingly arrests an undercover cop, ruining eight months of work. In "Signals Crossed," McNally, Peck and Diaz are tasked as prostitutes in a sting operation, Nash however has been sent to work with Callaghan on a murdered John Doe, as McNally is unable to perform and she is pulled. In "Hot and Bothered," McNally and Swarek arrest a minor for stealing an ice-cream truck and Swarek believes that the theft was an act of rebellion, but McNally who believes otherwise is sent out with Shaw to pursue leads. In "In Blue," during her evaluation, McNally confides in Best about her fears of ruining her life because of the job. And on the season finale, "Takedown," McNally and Diaz make an untimely arrest, which compromises a major heroin bust, while Swarek goes undercover posing as the buyer with McNally as his girlfriend, to try and salvage the operation. We get all 13 unedited episodes on this DVD. Runtimes for each episode follow:
1. Fresh Paint (41:48)
2. Mercury Retrograde (42:42)
3. Fite Nite (41:56)
4. Signals Crossed (42:12)
5. Broad Daylight (41:30)
6. Bullet Proof (42:07)
7. Hot and Bothered (43:01)
8. Honor Roll (42:01)
9. Girlfriend of the Year (42:50)
10. Big Nickel (41:39)
11. To Serve or Protect (42:07)
12. In Blue (42:57)
13. Takedown (43:02)
The DVD comes in a case held by an outer thin box. The thin outer box is in blue (with "Police Line, Do Not Cross" ribbons in the background) and as the series logo and the complete first season mention. In the middle of the cover, we have a square hole that peaks into the case, so wee see artwork of the five rookie cops! The back of the thin outer box has info on the set and series, with a nice quote from the L.A. Times. We have a nice cast photo of the rookies as well, along with five episodic images. There is a little box showcasing the bonus features as well. When we remove the outer box, we get to the case. The case has a grey-ish color scheme. The cover art has that artwork of the five rookies. The back of the case is similar to the back of the thin outer box, but different episodic images. Inside the case we have nice artwork of the five rookies on the panels itself with a nice city style background. There is also a disc-by-disc breakdown on the panels listing episode episode title per disc and bonus features. The discs themselves are on two little plastic holders that you can flip like a page in a book. Each disc is in the grey-ish/blue design with the series logo and the serve and protect seal in the background. Disc one holds episodes 1-4, disc two holds episodes 5-8, disc three holds episodes 9-12 and disc four has episode 13 and all the bonus features. There is also an Entertainment One booklet showcasing other DVDs, and it is placed on the left panel.
The menu design is great and has moving video clips playing in the background while we listen to music from the show. The series logo is also placed on the main menu, with episode numbers/titles listed right on the main menu. The only sub-menu is for Set-up, where we can choose either English 5.1 audio or 2.0. English SDH subtitles can also be turned on. Special Features option is on disc four only. Auto trailer appear on disc one before the main menu with a sneak peek scene from the season two premiere, movie trailers and a trailer for the series Haven.
Video and audio quality are both outstanding. This is a DVD, so I'm sure the Blu-ray version looks even better. It is superb. You can turn on the 5.1 surround sound and watch the series in great audio quality. Each episode has 7 chapter stops, so it is easy to jump through an episode if you are looking for something in particular like McNally in that green outfit from "Signals Crossed" or the hot scene from "Hot and Bothered."
There are some special features on this set as well! They are all on disc four and are decently produced. First up, we have "Making of Featurettes." There are three different ones for these on this set. The first one is "A New Breed of Life" (3:10) and it has interviews with Missy Peregrym, Tassie Cameron (Showrunner), Travis Milne and Enuka Okuma. The next one is "Meet the Rookies of 15 Division" (3:59) and all five rookies are featured: Missy Peregrym, Enuka Okuma, Gregory smith, Travis Milne and Charlotte Sullivan. And the final featurette here is "Rookie Training" (2:53) with Missy Peregrym, Gregory Smith, Travis Milne, Charlotte Sullivan and showrunner Cassie Cameron. The next series of bonus features are called "The Skylar Report: Behind the Scenes on Rookie Blue." There are eight different "episodes" along with a teaser preview. These were made by a Global TV reporter ans he even appears on an episode as an extra cop named Skylar. Featured on these eight episodes that run a total of 23:25 are Anne Dixon (costume designer), Enuka Okuma, Melanie Nicholls-King, Gregory Smith, Charlotte Sullivan, Travis Milne, Matt Gordon, Eric Johnson, Ellen Vanstone & Morwyn Brebner (co-creators/writers), Matthew Davies (production designer) and Rob Gardner (assistant director).
The final two extras are trailers and teasers. "Season 1 Trailer" recaps season one and runs 1:58, while we also get a "Season 2 On-Set Teaser" running 3:06. Interviewed on the latter are Missy Peregrym, Gregory Smith, Charlotte Sullivan, Travis Milne, Enuka Okuma, and Eric Johnson.
I think Entertainment One did a good job with this set. This is a good show so it deserves a quality DVD set. The Blu-ray set is only $5 more, so if you have a Blu-ray player, then by all means get that! The DVD version is the one we got for review and it has great audio/video too, if you don't have Blu-ray. The menus, packaging and bonus features are all good as well. I wish the show has more than 13 episodes, but that will be the case since it is a summer series. ABC/Global will air 13 more this summer, as the second season premiere was this past Thursday at 10/9 central. Watch every Thursday all summer-long! We recently did an interview with Enuka Okuma and we will bring that for you to read very soon. So check back this week right here on the blog. For now, you won't get arrested for buying this DVD and you don't need to be a rookie either, so buy the set below because you'll be sucked in right away!
To purchase the DVD release, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
To purchase the Blu-ray release, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Main DVD Reviews Page
We'll be back next week with more Digital Digest, and we hope to make some adjustments in the upcoming weeks to make up for these slow news weeks that we've been having lately! We have plenty of reviews coming up in the upcoming months, so we'll have a lot of those for you, and we are hoping to do some retooling to Digital Digest to bring you some more creative content. But don't worry, when we say retooling, we aren't going to get rid of any of our current features! Until next time, keep it digital!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.