Saturday, May 21, 2011
The only news that we have this week is news regarding Mister Ed. Mister Ed - The Complete Fifth Season is coming to DVD very soon. In fact, it'll be out June 21 as a Shout! Select title, at a $34.99 MSRP. There is no word on what (if any) special features will be included, but our guess is that there will not be any, if the past two sets are any indication.
Speaking of Shout! Select, Ironside - Season Five was projected to be released a few days ago, but it hasn't been. In fact, there is no indication that Shout! Factory has any intention of releasing this anytime in the near future. That doesn't mean that the set won't be coming to DVD at all, but it just isn't scheduled... yet. But if anything changes, we'll tell you about it!
UPCOMING WEEK PREVIEW
Tuesday (May 24) has many releases, but only one to note for sitcom fans, that being Melissa & Joey - Season 1, Part 1. The set comes at a $29.97 MSRP from Shout! Factory. We hope to have a review for this set soon, assuming that we receive a review copy.
BLOG DVD REVIEW
Get ready to head back to the Possum Lodge for more mayhem, half-baked ideas, and crazy contraptions. In the popular Canadian series, Red Green (Steve Smith) and his friends worked together on a series about home improvement and the outdoors, in a world where the crazy ideas somehow managed to work out every single time. The popular Canadian comedy series (seen on PBS in the United States), The Red Green Show, is back on DVD for three more seasons (seasons 10-12) of fun in The Red Green Show - The Midlife Crisis Years.
DVD Review - The Red Green Show - The Midlife Crisis Years
The Red Green Show - The Midlife Crisis Years (Acorn Media, $79.99) brings fans 54 more episodes (seasons 10-12) of the hit Canadian comedy series to DVD in a nine disc set. It's a little bit like the American series Home Improvement combined with PBS style comedy, except in this series, the crazy ideas somehow manage to work. In this set, the guys are all facing their midlife years the best that they possibly can--by coming up with more crazy ideas to make life more manageable. This set also marks the debut of the twelfth season of the series on DVD in the United States (it is also available separately).
In the tenth season, Red hosts a foster child in the episode "Foster Child," but how good of a father can he be? The lodge offers a proposal for Toronto in "What a Dump," and that is to take their trash! Red and Mike try to declare the lodge a historical site in "Historic Site." Dalton appears on a trivia game show in "Who Wants to Be a Smart Guy." In "The Dandruff Foundation," the guys want to avoid taxes, and try to do so by aligning with a charity. The guys run out of their magic stuff--duct tape--in "No Duct Tape."
Onto the eleventh season, you can "barely deny" Harold's shock when he accidentally rents the lodge to nudists in "Back to Nature." In "Dalton's Hot Gift," Red begins to believe that Mike stole Dalton's birthday gift. The guys sell leftover cans from the Y2K scare in "Y2 Cans." Mike has to hide from an ex-con at a masked picnic in "Masquerade Marathon." In "Harold's Dilemma," Harold plans renovations at the lodge, but finds resistance from Red.
Finally, in the twelfth season, Red develops a unique pizza-delivery method in "The Possum Ponderosa." But that is nothing compared to Harold's new airline in "Possum Air." Harold wants to start a MENSA chapter in "The IQ Test." Red builds an outdoor escalator (why?) in "The Missile Crisis." In "Power Struggle," the guys decide to stick it to the power company and generate their own power. Harold enters a beauty pageant in "Mr. Possum Lake." The season ends with "Stupid Cupid," where Harold submits a tape to a video dating service.
The episode runtimes run in the 22:14-22:36 range (with a few double length episodes), with runtimes remaining fairly consistent for each individual season. Exact runtimes are as follows:
1. "A Very Merry Red Green Christmas" (44:49)
2. "Sausage Envy" (22:36)
3. "Foster Child" (22:35)
4. "What a Dump" (22:36)
5. "Winston's Wedding" (22:36)
6. "Man of the Year" (22:37)
7. "Survivor" (22:37)
8. "Historic Site" (22:36)
9. "Twinning" (22:36)
10. "Lunar Eclipse" (22:37)
11. "Barter Starter" (22:37)
12. "Out of the Woods" (22:36)
13. "Cheap Jeep" (22:36)
14. "DNA All the Way" (22:37)
15. "Who Wants to be a Smart Guy" (22:36)
16. "The Beaver Dam" (22:36)
17. "The Dandruff Foundation" (22:36)
18. "Damn You Emu" (22:36)
19. "No Duct Tape" (22:37)
1. "New Job in Town" (22:34)
2. "Gladiator" (22:34)
3. "The Whooping Crane" (22:34)
4. "Back to Nature" (22:34)
5. "Dalton's Hot Gift" (22:34)
6. "Viva Las Possums" (22:34)
7. "Y2 Cans" (22:34)
8. "The Ghost of Possum Lodge" (22:33)
9. "The Chainsaw Races" (22:34)
10. "Something in the Heir" (22:34)
11. "Daredevil" (22:34)
12. "Mike Goes Straight" (22:34)
13. "Xmas in July" (22:34)
14. "Fishing Derby" (22:34)
15. "Masquerade Marathon" (22:34)
16. "Harold's Dilemma" (22:34)
17. "Red Green Does New Year's" (45:31)
1. "Go Fish" (22:14)
2. "The Possum Ponderosa" (22:14)
3. "Possum Air" (22:14)
4. "The IQ Test" (22:14)
5. "The Day of the Sunflowers" (22:14)
6. "Reality Television" (22:14)
7. "Possum Lodge Provincial Park" (22:14)
8. "The Silver Wasp" (22:14)
9. "A Lot Like Christmas" (22:19)
10. "Snowed In" (22:14)
11. "The Go Go Bars" (22:14)
12. "The Missile Crisis" (22:13)
13. "Never Send a Man" (22:14)
14. "Power Struggle" (22:14)
15. "Mr. Possum Lake" (22:14)
16. "Red and Breakfast" (22:14)
17. "The Moosetrap" (22:14)
18. "Stupid Cupid" (22:14)
The set is packaged in three Viva-packs that are inside of a cardboard outer box. The cover art this time features Red inside of one of the many kludges that he invented, with a red and yellow background. Inside, each individual season set has the same artwork, and in fact, each disc contains the same artwork. Inside each of the season sets, there is a list of episodes, along with descriptions for the episodes.
The menus on this set are just like the previous set, and very basic (but functional). The main menu of each disc has a photo of Red Green on it with the theme song playing in the background, with options of Play All, Episode Selection (Disc 1 of each season), and an option for the bonus feature in the particular season (Disc 1 of each season). On Discs 2 and 3 of each season, all of the episodes are simply listed on the main menu. Chapters are placed in each episode at all of the appropriate places.
The video and audio quality of the set is on par with the previous sets, meaning that it looks OK, but not perfect. Again, as I mentioned in the review of the previous set, the series was supposed to be a parody of a really bad outdoor/home improvement series, so some of it is probably intentional (and for the best). The audio on each of the episodes is presented in stereo, and all of the episodes are closed-captioned.
The set doesn't contain a whole lot of special features, but there are a few. As was the case with the previous seasons, both seasons 10 and 11 contain production notes and character profiles written by the series star and creator, Steve Smith. These are fairly detailed, and interesting to read. However, when I first got this set, I notice that season 12 contained a different special feature: an introduction by Steve Smith. Unfortunately, this was very disappointing, as it is only 49 seconds long. He mostly just talks about Patrick McKenna's character leaving in season 10 and coming back in season 12. It is unfortunate, because I feel like there is so much more that they could have done with this segment.
Before I conclude this review, there is one problem that I noticed with this set, and I don't know if it is just my copy or if it is a widespread problem, but for the season eleven episodes, Discs 1 and Discs 2 are mislabeled. On my set, I found all of the contents of Disc 1 on Disc 2, and the contents of Disc 2 on Disc 1. Hopefully, this isn't a widespread problem, and if it is, hopefully Acorn will come up with some fix (maybe even a "kludge") for it. In any event, all of the episodes are still included, even with the mislabeled disc.
This series is one of those really humorous series that you have to actually watch to understand it. It is difficult to describe what the series is to anybody, but if you watch it, you'll understand what it is all about--a home improvement and outdoors show parody (and that is oversimplifying it). It is a unique style of intellectual comedy that just about anybody can get into if they watch the series enough. I'd suggest checking out the series on a PBS affiliate (many of them air it) first, and if you like it, then checking out these DVDs. Of course, if you already know and love the series, then you can head straight for this set. It's great comedy that must be seen to be fully appreciated.
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews Page
The Red Green Show on TV.com
That's it for this week, we'll be back next week for more news and reviews in Digital Digest! Until then, keep it digital!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 23
Superstore - "Mateo's Last Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mateo (Nico Santos) faces complications with his transfer to a Cloud 9 Signature store, he becomes desperate to resolve his undocumented status. Meanwhile, Amy (America Ferrera) helps Glenn (Mark McKinney) battle an Internet troll, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) try to give Mateo legal counsel, and Dina (Lauren Ash) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) take issue with corporate.
Powerless - "I'm a Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Baskets - "Circus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Christine turns to Arby's after Chip joins the Russians.
Thursday, March 23
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Stephanie is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nick D'Agosto (Trial & Error) - Nick is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody talks about Wilson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Woody and Laura Dern will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.