Monday, April 11, 2011
Other memorable moments in the evening included an impromptu performance of "Higher Ground" by music legend Stevie Wonder, famed singer Billy Vera singing "At This Moment," "Alex" and "Ellen's" (real life husband and wife Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan) "song" from Family Ties and the annual TV Land parody: a hilarious parody of the Oscar®-winning film The King's Speech starring Cindy Brady (actress Susan Olsen), which played on the memorable episode of The Brady Bunch in which Cindy deals with her lisp. The Real Housewives of New York City – Cindy Barshop, Kelly Bensimon, LuAnn De Lesseps, Alex McCord, Sonja Morgan, Ramona Singer and Jill Zarin – presented a tribute to television housewives throughout the years, which ended with a shot of Joyce Randolph (who played Trixie on The Honeymooners) in the audience.
The main awards recap: Emmy® Award-winner Jane Lynch, whose own hit show Glee takes place at a high school, presented the cast of Welcome Back, Kotter with the 35th Anniversary Award. Golden Globe®-winner and two-time Academy Award® nominee John Travolta reunited with co-stars Gabe Kaplan, Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs, Robert Hegyes, Ellen Travolta and Marcia Strassman to accept the award for the popular edgy sitcom which ran from 1975-1979.
Presented by musical prodigy Stevie Wonder, The Impact Award is given to a show that offered both entertainment and enlightenment, with comedy that reflected reality. The Cosby Show cast – Bill Cosby, Phylicia Rashad, Tempestt Bledsoe, Sabrina LeBeauf, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Raven Symone, Geoffrey Owens and Malcolm-Jamal Warner – accepted the award.
A legend herself, Barbara Walters presented this award to Regis Philbin (LIVE! with Regis and Kelly, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?), whose career in television has spanned over 50 years and two Emmy® Awards.
Popular television star Paul Reiser (Mad About You) presented this award to "Rock 'N Soul" pioneers and platinum recording artists Daryl Hall and John Oates. The duo received the award for their contribution to music, having sold over 60 million albums worldwide and eight number one singles throughout their long and successful careers. Daryl Hall and John Oates also performed three of their number one singles – "Rich Girl," "Kiss on My List" and "You Make My Dreams."
Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves and Wendie Malick – the stars of TV Land's Hot in Cleveland – presented The Facts of Life cast, including Charlotte Rae, Mindy Cohn, Kim Fields, Nancy McKeon, Lisa Whelchel, Cloris Leachman and Geri Jewell, with The Pop Culture Award. Their memorable characters along with that catchy theme song made The Facts of Life soar to pop culture status in the 1980s.
And finally, the Fan Favorite Award was presented to the Family Ties cast by comedian extraordinaire Ben Stiller. The show won the hearts of viewers everywhere as the fictional Keaton family humorously struggled to deal with a new generation gap and political differences in the 1980s. Cast members Michael J. Fox, Michael Gross, Meredith Baxter, Justine Bateman, Tina Yothers, Tracy Pollan and Marc Price accepted, and singer Billy Vera gave a moving performance of "At This Moment."
Don't forget to tune in to watch the entire 2011 TV Land Awards on Sunday (April 17) at 9pm only on TV Land! You can also watch reunions of some of these recipients this week! Welcome Back, Kotter cast reunited this morning on ABC's Good Morning America. Watch it on the GMA webpage, if you missed it. Tomorrow, the cast of The Facts of Life will reunite on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and the cast of Family Ties will reunite on The Joy Behar Show on Tuesday at 10 on HLN. No word yet if the cast of The Cosby Show will be reuniting anywhere else.
Fox Animation Domination newcomer Bob's Burgers has been renewed for a second season, for the 2011-2012 season. The series is almost near the end of its first season, with episode ten airing last night on Fox. The series will return in May for the final three episodes of the season starting May 8.
The animated comedy follows a third-generation restaurateur as he runs his own burger joint with the help of his wife and their three kids. Bob has big ideas about burgers, condiments and sides, but only a few thoughts on customer service and business management. Despite his greasy counters, lousy location and occasionally spotty service, Bob is convinced his burgers speak for themselves. The animated series features the voice talents of H. Jon Benjamin, John Roberts, Dan Mintz, Eugene Mirman and Kristen Schaal.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.