Monday, April 11, 2011
Other memorable moments in the evening included an impromptu performance of "Higher Ground" by music legend Stevie Wonder, famed singer Billy Vera singing "At This Moment," "Alex" and "Ellen's" (real life husband and wife Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan) "song" from Family Ties and the annual TV Land parody: a hilarious parody of the Oscar®-winning film The King's Speech starring Cindy Brady (actress Susan Olsen), which played on the memorable episode of The Brady Bunch in which Cindy deals with her lisp. The Real Housewives of New York City – Cindy Barshop, Kelly Bensimon, LuAnn De Lesseps, Alex McCord, Sonja Morgan, Ramona Singer and Jill Zarin – presented a tribute to television housewives throughout the years, which ended with a shot of Joyce Randolph (who played Trixie on The Honeymooners) in the audience.
The main awards recap: Emmy® Award-winner Jane Lynch, whose own hit show Glee takes place at a high school, presented the cast of Welcome Back, Kotter with the 35th Anniversary Award. Golden Globe®-winner and two-time Academy Award® nominee John Travolta reunited with co-stars Gabe Kaplan, Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs, Robert Hegyes, Ellen Travolta and Marcia Strassman to accept the award for the popular edgy sitcom which ran from 1975-1979.
Presented by musical prodigy Stevie Wonder, The Impact Award is given to a show that offered both entertainment and enlightenment, with comedy that reflected reality. The Cosby Show cast – Bill Cosby, Phylicia Rashad, Tempestt Bledsoe, Sabrina LeBeauf, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Raven Symone, Geoffrey Owens and Malcolm-Jamal Warner – accepted the award.
A legend herself, Barbara Walters presented this award to Regis Philbin (LIVE! with Regis and Kelly, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?), whose career in television has spanned over 50 years and two Emmy® Awards.
Popular television star Paul Reiser (Mad About You) presented this award to "Rock 'N Soul" pioneers and platinum recording artists Daryl Hall and John Oates. The duo received the award for their contribution to music, having sold over 60 million albums worldwide and eight number one singles throughout their long and successful careers. Daryl Hall and John Oates also performed three of their number one singles – "Rich Girl," "Kiss on My List" and "You Make My Dreams."
Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves and Wendie Malick – the stars of TV Land's Hot in Cleveland – presented The Facts of Life cast, including Charlotte Rae, Mindy Cohn, Kim Fields, Nancy McKeon, Lisa Whelchel, Cloris Leachman and Geri Jewell, with The Pop Culture Award. Their memorable characters along with that catchy theme song made The Facts of Life soar to pop culture status in the 1980s.
And finally, the Fan Favorite Award was presented to the Family Ties cast by comedian extraordinaire Ben Stiller. The show won the hearts of viewers everywhere as the fictional Keaton family humorously struggled to deal with a new generation gap and political differences in the 1980s. Cast members Michael J. Fox, Michael Gross, Meredith Baxter, Justine Bateman, Tina Yothers, Tracy Pollan and Marc Price accepted, and singer Billy Vera gave a moving performance of "At This Moment."
Don't forget to tune in to watch the entire 2011 TV Land Awards on Sunday (April 17) at 9pm only on TV Land! You can also watch reunions of some of these recipients this week! Welcome Back, Kotter cast reunited this morning on ABC's Good Morning America. Watch it on the GMA webpage, if you missed it. Tomorrow, the cast of The Facts of Life will reunite on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and the cast of Family Ties will reunite on The Joy Behar Show on Tuesday at 10 on HLN. No word yet if the cast of The Cosby Show will be reuniting anywhere else.
Fox Animation Domination newcomer Bob's Burgers has been renewed for a second season, for the 2011-2012 season. The series is almost near the end of its first season, with episode ten airing last night on Fox. The series will return in May for the final three episodes of the season starting May 8.
The animated comedy follows a third-generation restaurateur as he runs his own burger joint with the help of his wife and their three kids. Bob has big ideas about burgers, condiments and sides, but only a few thoughts on customer service and business management. Despite his greasy counters, lousy location and occasionally spotty service, Bob is convinced his burgers speak for themselves. The animated series features the voice talents of H. Jon Benjamin, John Roberts, Dan Mintz, Eugene Mirman and Kristen Schaal.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.