Wednesday, March 23, 2011
The final Thursday of the season (May 19) will feature three finales. At 8:00pm it is the season finale of Wipeout (Spring Edition). ABC has ordered three more Spring Wipeout episodes so it can fill the Thursday 8pm slot for the rest of the season. Previously, it was going to be a repeat on March 31 after new episodes (March 17/24) because it only had 4 episodes, but now ABC will air an all-new episode on March 31 with Grey's/Private being new. Repeats will air on April 7, 14 and 21, just like Grey's/Private. Then it will be back for sweeps for the remaining four Spring episodes (April 28, May 5, 12 and 19). The regular summer edition will start over a month later after the NBA Finals are over with and 16 all-new episodes will air, as previously planned. This means Wipeout will produce 31 total episodes this season (8 for winter, 7 for spring and 16 for summer). Airdates for the summer edition will be announced soon. So stay tuned. Anyway, back to Thursday May 19, following the Spring Wipeout finale are the season finales of Greyis Anatomy and Private Practice from 9-11pm. On Friday, May 20 at 8pm, Shark Tank closes its second season. The final Sunday of the season will have the season finale of America's Funniest Home Videos on Sunday, May 22 at 7pm leading into the Billboard Music Awards from 8-11pm. As we knew, Monday, May 23 will have the final Dancing with the Stars performance show at 8pm leading into the summer staple The Bachelorette from 9-11pm. On Tuesday, May 24 from 9:00-11:00pm it is the grand finale for season 12 of Dancing with the Stars. And finally on the last day of the TV season, Wednesday, May 25, the ABC comedies get their finales. At 8:00pm it is The Middle, followed by a repeat then at 9:00pm the megahit Modern Family has its season finale leading into the one-hour Hawaiian season finale of Cougar Town from 9:31-10:30pm.
ABC has not announced season finale dates for Mr. Sunshine, Happy Endings or Body of Proof since all three will have leftover episodes. Depending on their plans for them, they could air in summer or be held for next season. Everything else is pretty much set except ABC News series Primetime What Would You Do? and 20/20, which are likely to continue into summer.
Moving on to NBC, they have pulled Perfect Couples starting April 14. NBC announced that The Paul Reiser Show, a new comedy series starring Paul Reiser (Mad About You), will premiere on Thursday, April 14 at 8:30pm ET.
NBC's The Paul Reiser Show is a new single-camera comedy from Emmy and Golden Globe Award-nominated actor/writer/producer Reiser and writer/producer Jonathan Shapiro. The show stars Reiser as -- Paul Reiser. It's been a few years since his hit TV series went off the air. Since then, he's been enjoying the quiet life at home with his lovely wife, Claire (Amy Landecker), and kids and generally minding his own business, writing and producing television but enjoying life out of the spotlight. Getting him into trouble -- and into adventures -- are a group of new "friends," most of which he didn't choose since they're the husbands of his wife's friends and the dads of his kids' classmates. Thrown together by circumstance, Reiser and his cohorts, including Jonathan (Ben Shenkman), Habib (Omid Djalili), Fernando (Duane Martin, All of Us) and Brad (Andrew Daly, MADtv), form an unlikely comradeship -- and a pretty lame basketball team.
The new comedy will air Thursdays at 8:30pm through Thursday, May 19. It will also air at a special time of 8pm leading into the finale on May 19. As a result of the premiere of the new sitcom, Community will now be all-new on April 14, thus its season finale on Thursday, May 12 is no longer two episodes. The Community season finale is now a half-hour on Thursday, May 12 at 8pm. As for Perfect Couples, as of this writing it would have 4 episodes still to air after April 14, though it could be as low as only 2 because on March 31 and April 7, currently repeats are listed, so NBC could change those to new episodes--then only two would remain. It is almost 100% certain this series is all but done though.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, May 22
Angie Tribeca - "License to Drill" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Geils lands in trouble when he helps a woman investigate whether her husband is having an affair.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Amnesia" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi attempts to cure Josh's amnesia by re-creating the first time they met.
Baby Daddy - "Daddy's Girl" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley is confined to the couch; Ben struggles to answer Emma's questions about her mother.
Monday, May 22
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Bloodline on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Seaton Smith (Mulaney) - Seaton stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nicole Richie (Great News) - Nicole visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/The Parkers) - Kym guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Survivor's Remorse/Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Brenda Strong (The Help/Scorch) - Brenda talks about Supergirl on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss joins Clinton Kelly to whip up a delicious delight on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti performs a jazz song from her new album on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine and Lil Rel Howery (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta and Lil are guests on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Ellie Reed (Girlboss) - Ellie talks about Girlboss on the AOL Build Show at 5pm.