Monday, November 29, 2010
Christmas-themed episodes from their regular series such as Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman, Amen, Highway to Heaven, Doc, Sister Sister and 227 beging to air starting tonight. The Amen two-part episode "Miracle On 134th Street" airs tonight at 1am. On Tuesday, the Amen holiday episode "Your Christmas Show of Shows" airs at 1am. On Sunday, Dec. 5, there will be a marathon of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman Christmas episodes from 3pm-7pm, and again on Monday, Dec. 6 from 5pm-9pm. Highway to Heaven Christmas episodes first air Tuesday, Dec. 7 and Wednesday, Dec. 8 at 1pm. 227 first airs their Christmas episodes on Saturday, Dec. 11 from 5:30pm-7pm, with encore airings in the 11pm hour on Saturday, Dec. 11, Monday, Dec. 13, and Tuesday, Dec. 14. The Christmas episodes air again on Friday, Dec. 17 from 2:30pm-4pm in a special 227 Friday marathon from 2:30pm-7pm. A Sister, Sister "Christmas" airs Friday, Dec. 17 at 2pm, following a special Friday marathon of that show from 10am-2pm.
Christmas with a Capital C, their first GMC World Premiere Christmas movie, premieres on Sunday, December 5 at 7 p.m. ET. The movie will encore at 9 p.m. ET and 11 p.m. ET. 'Tis the season to be jolly, but holiday traditions are under attack when lawyer Mitch Bright returns to his hometown of Trapper Falls, Alaska. Residents of the small town who once looked forward to each year with enthusiasm and taking great care to drape the town with Christmas cheer every season, find themselves in the heat of a legal battle with a former member of their community. Christmas with a Capital C stars Daniel Baldwin (Cold Case) as Mitch Bright and Ted McGinley (Married... with Children) as Mayor Dan Reed.
Other Christmas features include The Perfect Gift on Sunday, December 5; Fred Hammond's Christmas Who Needs It? on Saturday, Dec. 11; the Arnold Schwarzenegger-directed Christmas in Connecticut (starring Dyan Cannon, Kris Kristofferson, Tony Curtis) on Saturday, Dec. 18; Miracle of the Cards (starring Kirk Cameron) on Saturday, Dec. 18; The Christmas Box (starring Richard Thomas, Annette O'Toole, Maureen O'Hara) on Saturday, Dec. 18; Miracle at Christmas: Ebbie's Story (starring Susan Lucci) on Sunday, Dec. 5; The Secret of Giving (starring Reba McIntire) on Sunday, Dec. 12; The Joyriders (starring Martin Landau, Elizabeth Moss, Kris Kristofferson) on Wednesday, Dec. 8; and Papa's Angels (starring Cynthia Nixon, Scott Bakula) on Tuesday, Dec. 14.
Also running throughout the month, GMC will serve up Top Spin: Top 12 Songs of Christmas, hosted by Tiffany Thorpe (premiering Friday, Dec. 3 at 8am), while Christmas Voices, presenting the festive sounds of Christmas music by the world's most popular inspirational singers, will sound every Monday to Saturday through Christmas Day at 7am (and other times, too). Throughout the month, the GMC Presents franchise will focus on original Christmas concert specials featuring performances from the likes of Natalie Grant, Jars of Clay, Mary Mary, Mercy Me, Mandisa, Take 6, George Huff, among others. The specials are also available on GMC onDemand. Scheduled for all dayparts during the month, GMC will offer exclusive interstitials in which stars including Jane Seymour, Joe Lando, Tia and Tamera Mowry, Kim Fields, Amy Grant, Mary Mary, Brian McKnight, Ledisi share their fondest holiday moments and memories.
Finally, on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, GMC will burn brightly with its Christmas Yule Log Gospel Music Video Marathon" starting at 8 p.m. (ET) on Dec. 24.
Finally, we pay tribute to Leslie Nielsen, who passed away yesterday. Leslie Nielsen, who traded in his dramatic persona for inspired bumbling as a hapless doctor in the 1980 movie Airplane! and the accident-prone detective Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun trilogy (1988, 1991, 1994), died on Sunday (November 28, 2010) in Fort Lauderdale, FL in his sleep in a hospital after complications from pneumonia.
While Nielsen was know for movies and TV dramas, he appeared on sitcoms as well. He played Detective Frank Drebin first in the 1982 TV comedy series, Police Squad, which trashed the cliches of Dragnet and other cop shows. Despite good reviews, ABC canceled it after only four episodes to low ratings. The series aired Thursdays at 8pm and was paired with Bosom Buddies. The remaining two episodes were aired in the summer of 1982. Years later, CBS aired reruns of the short-lived comedy in the summer of 1991 when the film The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear came out in theatres. Nielsen was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series in 1982 for the role. Of course 6 years later the series turned into The Naked Gun film trilogy. Police Squad has been available on DVD since 2006. After Police Squad, he had another sitcom on ABC titled Shaping Up in mid-season 1984 lasting only 5 episodes despite being paired with Three's Company on Tuesdays at 9:30pm.
Earlier in his career he was a regular on dramas. The Swamp Fox on ABC in 1959, The New Breed on ABC in 1961, Peyton Place on ABC in 1964, Bracken's World on NBC in 1969, The Protectors on NBC in 1969, and the mini-series Backstairs at the White House on NBC in 1979.
He has also guest starred on many sitcoms such as The Farmer's Daughter, M*A*S*H, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, 227, Who's the Boss?, The Golden Girls, Evening Shade, Herman's Head, Day by Day, and Flesh 'n' Blood. He was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series for Day by Day. He also guest starred on many dramas like Lights Out, Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Route 66, The Fugitive, Daniel Boone, Wagon Train, The Defenders, The Virginian, Ben Casey, The Wild Wild West, Dr. Kildare, Bonanza, It Takes a Thief, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Gunsmoke, The Big Valley, Night Gallery, Medical Center, The Mod Squad, The FBI, Barnaby Jones, The Streets of San Francisco, Hawaii Five-0, Ironside, Kojak, The Rookies, Lucas Tanner, Kung Fu, Cannon, Columbo, SWAT, Vega$, Hotel, Finders of Lost Love, Murder She Wrote, Highway to Heaven, Father Dowling Mysteries, Due South, and many more! Wow! I bet nobody knew he was on that much TV!
He has appeared in many TV movies as well such as Chance of a Lifetime in 1981 on NBC opposite Betty White, Cave-In! on NBC in 1983, The Wonderful World of Disney: Safety Patrol in 1998 for ABC and The Wonderful World of Disney: Santa Who? in 2000 for ABC.
Mr. Nielsen will be DEEPLY missed by his many fans. He was on TV dramas, films, and comedies. AMC is airing Airplane! tomorrow (Tuesday) at 6pm & 12am, while GMC is airing his episode of 227 on Tuesday at 11:30pm. These were already scheduled before his death, though. If there are any tributes, we will let you know. Let's hope someone airs Police Squad! Mr. Nielsen was 84.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.