Friday, May 21, 2010
Remembering Creator of Silver Spoons, Who's the Boss; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of May 24, 2010)
Mr. Cohan started his career as a stage manager/assistant director at ABC after graduating from Stanford University. He worked under Mike Nicholls on Catch-22. During the 1970's Cohan moved over to sitcoms and wrote for shows such as All in the Family, The Odd Couple, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The Partridge Family, Flying High, Diff'rent Strokes, Hello Larry, and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, for which he won a Writers Guild Award. He also wrote, produced and directed episodes of The Bob Newhart Show.
In the '80s, Mr. Cohan created Tony Danza-Judith Light sitcom Who's the Boss with his partner Blake Hunter in 1984. The show would run for eight seasons on ABC and introduced us to Alyssa Milano. He also composed the theme song for the sitcom. He also created Silver Spoons in the early 80s, which introduced a young Ricky Schroder.
Mr. Cohan will deeply be missed by sitcom fans. Services will be at 2 p.m. on Thursday, May 27 at Mt. Sinai's Chapel Tenach in Forest Lawn, go to memorialwebsites.legacy.com/martycohan for more information. You can catch Who's the Boss? on television every weekday afternoon from 1-3pm on The Hallmark Channel. Mr. Cohan was 77.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of May 24-28, 2010, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, May 24, 2010
- Rosemarie DeWitt (United States of Tara) - DeWitt stops by Late Night with Jimmy Falon at 12:35am on NBC.
- Damon Wayans (My Wife & Kids) - Damon heads to Chelsea Lately, at 11pm on E!
- T.J. Miller (Carpoolers) - Comedian T.J. Miller stops by E! TV's Chelsea Lately at 11pm.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
- Jane Krakowski (30 Rock) - Krakow stops to chat on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Thursday, May 27, 2010
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan will be on Last Call with Carson Daly on NBC at 1:05am.
- Joey Lawrence (Melissa & Joey/Gimme a Break/Blossom) - Joey stops by NBC's Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:05am.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Everybody Loves Raymond) - This is a repeat from October, but catch Patty on The Bonnie Hunt Show, check local listings for showtime!
Friday, May 28, 2010
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends) - Lisa stops by NBC's Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:05am.
- Dominic Fumusa (Nurse Jackie) - Dominic stops by The Martha Stewart Show, so check your listings.
- Joel McHale (Community) - This is a repeat from October, but catch Joel on The Bonnie Hunt Show again. Check your listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.