Thursday, March 11, 2010
There will be a few other changes as well, so this is an update to our earlier story on TV Land April 2010. Effective Friday, April 2, the 9am hour will now be Gunsmoke on Friday mornings instead of Leave it to Beaver, but not to worry The Beav and family will still be on Mondays from 9am-1pm. Bewitched will officially replace Boston Legal on Sunday afternoons from 12pm-4pm. Bonanza was airing in that block as a last minute replacement since a few weeks ago as Legal hasn't performed in the ratings.
Then the major changes will happen on Monday, April 5, and they will all be in primetime and late night on weeknights. The 8pm hour (Mon, Tues, and Thurs) will now be The Cosby Show, replacing Home Improvement (Raymond will remain in the hour on Wed/Fri). Not good news for Tim Allen and the gang, as Improvement will be moving to the Mon-Thurs 1am hour, replacing an hour of Roseanne, but Roseanne will gain the 11pm hour, so its two-hour block will remain (but just an hour earlier from 11pm-1am instead of 12-2am). This means Boston Legal will not return to the 11pm hour, in fact Denny Crane and company will be moving to weekday mornings at 5am, ouch. Due to that change, Cosby Show, Three's Company, and M*A*S*H during the late nights will be reduced (and moved) a bit and air from 2am-5am instead of 2-6am (and Cosby Show/Three's Company won't get 3 episodes now).
View the UPDATED TV Land April 2010 schedule, and I urge you to view the full schedule and also the one-time-only adjustments so you're not confused...because it gets confusing with TV Land.
It looks like the campaign worked, because SNL has announced that Betty White will indeed co-host the SNL episode airing Saturday, May 8, 2010 on NBC late night. USA Today reports that the 88-year-old actress, beloved by generations of TV fans, will host the Mother's Day episode that also will feature a reunion of six former female cast members, most of them moms: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch. SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels says he has "always wanted" White to host. "Years ago, I turned it down three times," White says. "It's so New York, and I'm not New York at all. "But my agent said he'd divorce me if I didn't do it, and I love my agent."
So why are fans campaigning now for her to host SNL though? It's not because of her legendary sitcoms Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Golden Girls, her memorable game show appearances, or the recent movie The Proposal, it's because of a Super Bowl commercial! It was her appearance in a Super Bowl Snickers commercial in which she's tackled in the mud by a football player (Abe Vigoda also appears). The commercial topped USA Today's Ad Meter poll and lit a fuse on a Facebook campaign, where a "Betty White to Host SNL (please?)!" group -- started in late December -- has attracted nearly half a million members (and still growing!).
Betty will be the oldest host ever on the show. She's flattered and flabbergasted by the attention: "It's lovely, and at my age it's certainly unexpected." And she's not worried about the workload: "I've got so much energy, it's ridiculous. I love working. My schedule is a feverish one, and I'm used to that."
White has no children of her own, though she counts her golden retriever, Pontiac, as one. But, Michaels says, "she's the mother of us all in comedy, so it will be a celebration of Betty White."
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.