Thursday, March 11, 2010
There will be a few other changes as well, so this is an update to our earlier story on TV Land April 2010. Effective Friday, April 2, the 9am hour will now be Gunsmoke on Friday mornings instead of Leave it to Beaver, but not to worry The Beav and family will still be on Mondays from 9am-1pm. Bewitched will officially replace Boston Legal on Sunday afternoons from 12pm-4pm. Bonanza was airing in that block as a last minute replacement since a few weeks ago as Legal hasn't performed in the ratings.
Then the major changes will happen on Monday, April 5, and they will all be in primetime and late night on weeknights. The 8pm hour (Mon, Tues, and Thurs) will now be The Cosby Show, replacing Home Improvement (Raymond will remain in the hour on Wed/Fri). Not good news for Tim Allen and the gang, as Improvement will be moving to the Mon-Thurs 1am hour, replacing an hour of Roseanne, but Roseanne will gain the 11pm hour, so its two-hour block will remain (but just an hour earlier from 11pm-1am instead of 12-2am). This means Boston Legal will not return to the 11pm hour, in fact Denny Crane and company will be moving to weekday mornings at 5am, ouch. Due to that change, Cosby Show, Three's Company, and M*A*S*H during the late nights will be reduced (and moved) a bit and air from 2am-5am instead of 2-6am (and Cosby Show/Three's Company won't get 3 episodes now).
View the UPDATED TV Land April 2010 schedule, and I urge you to view the full schedule and also the one-time-only adjustments so you're not confused...because it gets confusing with TV Land.
It looks like the campaign worked, because SNL has announced that Betty White will indeed co-host the SNL episode airing Saturday, May 8, 2010 on NBC late night. USA Today reports that the 88-year-old actress, beloved by generations of TV fans, will host the Mother's Day episode that also will feature a reunion of six former female cast members, most of them moms: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch. SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels says he has "always wanted" White to host. "Years ago, I turned it down three times," White says. "It's so New York, and I'm not New York at all. "But my agent said he'd divorce me if I didn't do it, and I love my agent."
So why are fans campaigning now for her to host SNL though? It's not because of her legendary sitcoms Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Golden Girls, her memorable game show appearances, or the recent movie The Proposal, it's because of a Super Bowl commercial! It was her appearance in a Super Bowl Snickers commercial in which she's tackled in the mud by a football player (Abe Vigoda also appears). The commercial topped USA Today's Ad Meter poll and lit a fuse on a Facebook campaign, where a "Betty White to Host SNL (please?)!" group -- started in late December -- has attracted nearly half a million members (and still growing!).
Betty will be the oldest host ever on the show. She's flattered and flabbergasted by the attention: "It's lovely, and at my age it's certainly unexpected." And she's not worried about the workload: "I've got so much energy, it's ridiculous. I love working. My schedule is a feverish one, and I'm used to that."
White has no children of her own, though she counts her golden retriever, Pontiac, as one. But, Michaels says, "she's the mother of us all in comedy, so it will be a celebration of Betty White."
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.