Thursday, March 11, 2010
There will be a few other changes as well, so this is an update to our earlier story on TV Land April 2010. Effective Friday, April 2, the 9am hour will now be Gunsmoke on Friday mornings instead of Leave it to Beaver, but not to worry The Beav and family will still be on Mondays from 9am-1pm. Bewitched will officially replace Boston Legal on Sunday afternoons from 12pm-4pm. Bonanza was airing in that block as a last minute replacement since a few weeks ago as Legal hasn't performed in the ratings.
Then the major changes will happen on Monday, April 5, and they will all be in primetime and late night on weeknights. The 8pm hour (Mon, Tues, and Thurs) will now be The Cosby Show, replacing Home Improvement (Raymond will remain in the hour on Wed/Fri). Not good news for Tim Allen and the gang, as Improvement will be moving to the Mon-Thurs 1am hour, replacing an hour of Roseanne, but Roseanne will gain the 11pm hour, so its two-hour block will remain (but just an hour earlier from 11pm-1am instead of 12-2am). This means Boston Legal will not return to the 11pm hour, in fact Denny Crane and company will be moving to weekday mornings at 5am, ouch. Due to that change, Cosby Show, Three's Company, and M*A*S*H during the late nights will be reduced (and moved) a bit and air from 2am-5am instead of 2-6am (and Cosby Show/Three's Company won't get 3 episodes now).
View the UPDATED TV Land April 2010 schedule, and I urge you to view the full schedule and also the one-time-only adjustments so you're not confused...because it gets confusing with TV Land.
It looks like the campaign worked, because SNL has announced that Betty White will indeed co-host the SNL episode airing Saturday, May 8, 2010 on NBC late night. USA Today reports that the 88-year-old actress, beloved by generations of TV fans, will host the Mother's Day episode that also will feature a reunion of six former female cast members, most of them moms: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch. SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels says he has "always wanted" White to host. "Years ago, I turned it down three times," White says. "It's so New York, and I'm not New York at all. "But my agent said he'd divorce me if I didn't do it, and I love my agent."
So why are fans campaigning now for her to host SNL though? It's not because of her legendary sitcoms Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Golden Girls, her memorable game show appearances, or the recent movie The Proposal, it's because of a Super Bowl commercial! It was her appearance in a Super Bowl Snickers commercial in which she's tackled in the mud by a football player (Abe Vigoda also appears). The commercial topped USA Today's Ad Meter poll and lit a fuse on a Facebook campaign, where a "Betty White to Host SNL (please?)!" group -- started in late December -- has attracted nearly half a million members (and still growing!).
Betty will be the oldest host ever on the show. She's flattered and flabbergasted by the attention: "It's lovely, and at my age it's certainly unexpected." And she's not worried about the workload: "I've got so much energy, it's ridiculous. I love working. My schedule is a feverish one, and I'm used to that."
White has no children of her own, though she counts her golden retriever, Pontiac, as one. But, Michaels says, "she's the mother of us all in comedy, so it will be a celebration of Betty White."
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, January 17
The Middle - "Pitch Imperfect" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Axl begins to panic when he realizes that he only has four months of college left before he graduates, and he hasn’t sent out any job resumes – something he should have started when he was a junior. Meanwhile, Brad agrees to lead Sue’s no-cut a cappella group as they enter a music competition, and Brick desperately asks for Frankie and Mike’s advice when girlfriend Cindy tells him that he reads too much, and if he doesn’t stop, she’ll break up with him.
American Housewife - "Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Oliver tells his parents that he’s so embarrassed by their modest house that he’d rather not have a birthday party at all. Katie decides to teach him a lesson by ambushing him with a surprise party at home with all his wealthy friends.
Fresh Off the Boat - "The Best of Orlando" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Louis is named “Small Businessman of the Year,” Jessica is overflowing with pride and invites everyone they know to join them at the awards ceremony. But when Louis forgets to thank Jessica during his acceptance speech, he suffers the repercussions at home. Meanwhile, Eddie, Emery and Grandma start their own clothing line and quickly discover the challenges of running their own small business.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Acceptance" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Kenny and Brett officially become a couple, Kenny starts to think of plan on how he should break the news to his parents. Meanwhile, Jimmy surprises everyone when he scores a high SAT score, forcing Eileen to hold up her end of a deal that she had previously made and takes Jimmy car shopping.
New Girl - "Cece's Boys" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jess tries to find a new vice principal, she discovers that she has a real problem when it comes to making decisions. Meanwhile, Cece enlists Jess and Reagan to help her recruit new models, and the guys are in for a surprise when they enjoy a day at the spa.
The Mick - "The Fire" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Mickey tries to quit smoking. Meanwhile, Ben meets a new friend.
Teachers - "First Day Back" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
As the teachers return from summer break, Ms. Watson tries an ultra premium online dating service and Ms. Snap learns that she’s been given the worst group of kids in school. Mrs. Adler is assigned to a mobile classroom.
Tuesday, January 17
- Katy Mixon (American Housewife/Mike & Molly) - Catch Katy on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Billy Eichner (Difficult People) - Billy is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Patrick Warburton (Crowded/Rules of Engagement/Less Than Perfect) - Patrick stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York.
- Anders Holm (Workaholics) - Anders is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rory Scovel (Ground Floor) - Rory appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Louie Anderson (Baskets/Life with Louie/The Louie Show) - Louie drops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/Sparks) - Kym visits Cleveland on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.