Friday, March 05, 2010
NBC Summer 2010 Plans; BET Re-Acquires In Living Color; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 8, 2010)
NBC announced the Emmy change along with premiere dates for the returning series America's Got Talent and Last Comic Standing, and two new scripted shows - the multi-camera comedy 100 Questions and the mystery Persons Unknown.
America's Got Talent will return featuring new judge Howie Mandel with a two-hour debut Tuesday, June 1 from 8-10pm, and a Wednesday edition premiering the following night (June 2) at 9pm. Talent then would be reduced to 9pm on Tuesdays starting June 8. It is unclear what will air at 8pm, but Law & Order repeats will air in the Tuesday 10pm hour. As for Wednesdays, Talent repeats will air at 8pm and Law & Order: SVU repeats at 10pm starting June 9.
Last Comic Standing, with new host Craig Robinson (The Office) also will return with a two-hour premiere Monday, June 7 from 8-10pm, then transition to its usual time slot at 9 pm Mondays. Repeats of Comic will air at 8pm starting the following week and new drama Persons Unknown will air at 10pm. Read more on that below.
Sitcom 100 Questions stars Charlotte Payne as a woman taking a 100-question dating-compatibility test, with each question causing her to recall a humorous story from her past. The show debuts at 8:30 pm Thursday, May 27 but will be airing alongside comedy repeats on Thursdays. Smells like a burn-off as it was originally slated for the regular season.
Drama Persons Unknown stars Alan Ruck and Jason Wiles and is about a group of strangers who come together to solve a puzzle. The drama debuts at 10 pm Monday, June 7 right after Last Comic Standing.
Encore episodes from Season 9 of Law & Order: Criminal Intent (which will premiere in the spring on USA Network,) will run on NBC starting at 10 pm Sunday, June 20 following repeats of Law & Order at 9pm. Dateline will usually air Sundays 7-9pm. Other Sunday programming has the half-hour special The Making of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which gives viewers a sneak peak of the Universal Orlando Resort's new theme park attraction, runs Sunday, June 6 at 7pm and the annual The Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular, which is set for Sunday, July 4 in the 9pm hour.
The two-hour adventure movie The Jensen Project, will air Friday, July 16 from 8-10pm. The usual Friday summer schedule will have Friday Night Lights at 8pm and Dateline from 9-11pm.
View the FULL NBC summer schedule in a list form.
Last night NBC had the birth of Jim and Pam's baby on The Office. It probably didn't match-up no where near the top TV sitcom births of all-time. Our friends at TVTango.com has a cool list of the top 10 TV births of all-time! See who made the cut at TVTango.com!
Also, while we're talking about NBC Thursday, their comedies are not as good now as they have been in the past and our friend Eric of JustMyShow.com has started a Facebook page to rally NBC to air its classic Thursday night lineup for one night! Yes, that means The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court and Hill Street Blues. WGN America aired that line-up (minus Night Court) for one night in September and it brought back such good memories! Be a fan of this Facebook page and maybe NBC will do it (yeah right, they are making terrible decisions so of course not).
In other news, BET has re-acquired the '90s sketch comedy series In Living Color. Actually, they quietly added the show last Saturday (Feb. 27) and are airing it every Saturday morning. The series will usually air on BET from 9am-12pm on Saturdays.
We did a special preview of a new blog feature here at SitcomsOnline called "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" last Saturday, now every Friday we will bring you the listings of Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows for the coming week starting today. To recap, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 8-12, 2010, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 8, 2010
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends) - Lisa stops by The Martha Stewart Show continuing her rounds for her NBC reality series that she is producing. Check local listings for time and channel.
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
- Josh Hopkins (Cougar Town) - He will be on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12:05am ET on ABC discussing his ABC sitcom.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends) - She will be promoting her NBC produced series on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am ET on CBS. ALSO, she will be on The Oprah Winfrey Show. Check local listings for time and channe.
- Adhir Kaylan (Rules of Engagement) - Adhir will be on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am ET on CBS.
- Andy Richter (various sitcoms) - Andy guest co-hosts with Kelly Ripa on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly. Check local listings for time and channel.
- Betty White (Mary Tyler Moore Show/Golden Girls) - This is a repeat of her appearance on The Bonnie Hunt Show from February. Check local listings.
- Pat Harrington, Jr. (One Day at a Time) - He stops by The Florence Henderson Show on RLTV (Retirement Living TV) at 2pm ET.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
- Bill Engvall (The Bill Engvall Show) - Bill stops by The Bonnie Hunt Show. Check local listings for time and channel.
- Jack Klugman (The Odd Couple) - Jack stops to chat on The Florence Henderson Show on RLTV at 10pm ET.
- Conchata Ferrell (Two and a Half Men) - She also is a guest on The Florence Henderson Show on RLTV at 10pm ET.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
- Valerie Harper (Rhoda/Valerie) - She will be on ABC's Good Morning America this morning at 7am ET.
- Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) - He drops by to see the ladies of The View at 11am ET/10am PT on ABC
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry guest co-hosts with Kelly Ripa on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly. Check your local listings for time and channel. He will also appear on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11pm on Comedy Central.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock) - This is a repeat appearance of him on The Bonnie Hunt Show from February. Check local listings.
- Mackenzie Phillips (One Day at a Time) - She will be on Larry King Live on CNN at 9pm ET to discuss addiction.
- Nancy Dussault (Too Close for Comfort) - She stops by The Florence Henderson Show at 2pm on RLTV.
- James Avery (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - The sitcom star stops by The Florence Henderson Show at 2pm on RLTV.
- Marla Gibbs (The Jeffersons/227) - The legendary Marla Gibbs stops by the 10pm edition (encores at 1am ET) of The Florence Henderson Show on RLTV! There's no place this show, child!
Friday, March 12, 2010
- Jason Sudekis (The Cleveland Show/SNL) - He will be on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on NBC at 12:35am ET.
- Ted Danson (Cheers/Becker/Bored to Death)- He will be on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, but probably talking about Damages. Check local listings for time and channel.
Leave us comments on our message board or Tweet/Facebook us to let us know what you think of this new feature! We do listen!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, December 2
Last Man Standing - "Precious Snowflakes" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mandy chooses local-celebrity Mike as the speaker for her business school’s graduation. After learning that the school requires his speech to be PC and micro-agression free, Mike decides whether or not to play by the rules. Meanwhile, Eve’s friend Cammy (Sarah Gilman) is home from college, bragging about how fantastic her new life has been, leaving Eve feeling slightly fruitless and discouraged.
Dr. Ken - "D.K's New Girlfriend" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When D.K. overhears Allison complain about him overstaying his welcome, he decides to move in with his girlfriend of three weeks. Meanwhile, Pat wants Dave to pretend he’s his adopted son; and Allison is convinced Molly wants to talk about something when she suggests they do a spa day, but the tables turn when Molly is the one doling out the advice.
I Love Lucy - "I Love Lucy Christmas Special" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL features “The Christmas Episode” and the newly colorized “Lucy Gets in Pictures.” Both were colorized with a vintage look, a nod to the 1950s period in which the shows were filmed. The main titles and end credits of the two episodes are seamlessly combined into one set at the beginning and end of the hour, with no interruption between the episodes.
“The Christmas Episode” finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky’s Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardos’ son, Little Ricky (Keith Thibodeaux). Flashbacks recall the night Lucy tells Ricky she is pregnant, the time Lucy shows up unexpectedly as part of a barbershop quartet and the day Ricky and the Mertzes rehearse taking Lucy to the maternity ward.
“The Christmas Episode” was first broadcast on CBS in December 1956. The episode was not included in the series’ long history of rebroadcasts, first on CBS Daytime and later in syndication. Thought to be lost, CBS rediscovered the episode in 1989.
In the newly colorized “Lucy Gets in Pictures,” Lucy’s lifelong dream of appearing in a motion picture seems to have come true when Ricky arranges for her to play a showgirl in a new musical. Unfortunately, the enormous feathered headdress she is expected to wear as she descends a staircase proves to be too cumbersome. After numerous mishaps on the stairs, the musical’s frustrated director (Lou Krugman) decides to make a change.
“Lucy Gets in Pictures” was originally broadcast Feb. 21, 1955, and was an immediate favorite not only of viewers, but of Lucille Ball herself. She restaged the famous headdress scene, again with Krugman, in the 1962 CBS special, “Opening Night,” and in 1965 in a slightly modified form, this time with actor Danny Thomas, in her second CBS series, “The Lucy Show.”
Liv and Maddie: Cali Style - "Cali Christmas-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Maddie gets upset that she can't be in Wisconsin for Christmas, so Liv helps cheer her up.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets a Christmas Maya" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
As Christmas approaches, Riley gets excited to celebrate her favorite holiday, but for Maya, the holidays only bring back unhappy memories from her childhood.
Bunk'd - "How the Griff Stole Christmas" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The holidays arrive at Camp Kikiwaka with everyone in good spirits -- except for Griff.
Friday, December 2
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Andrew Rannells (Girls/The New Normal) - Andrew is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be/Bosom Buddies) - Holland chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Busy Philipps (Vice Principals/Cougar Town) - Busy guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat) - Randall stops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Quinn (Bunk'd) - Kevin appears on People Now at 8:30am.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - NBC's Today catches up with Miss Piggy in the 10am hour.
- Gaby Hoffmann (Transparent/Someone Like Me) - Gaby appears on Chelsea on Netflix.