Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Comedy Central Moves One 'Married' in April, New Sitcom News; NBC Additional Summer Series; Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Comedy Central has cast Chris Parnell and Horatio Sanz in the untitled sitcom starring Jon Heder from Gary Sanchez Productions and Debmar-Mercury. In this sitcom, produced by Gary Sanchez Productions with the production company led by Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, and distributed by Debmar-Mercury, the untitled, multi-camera sitcom for Comedy Central stars Heder (Napoleon Dynamite, Blades of Glory) as a young man who won't let anything get in the way of his big dreams, even if it means losing his job and having to move back in with his parents and sleep on their couch. Heder enlists the help of his friends, an ex-convict, played by Horatio Sanz (Saturday Night Live), and a burned-out high-school teacher, played by Chris Parnell (SNL, 30 Rock), in planning a myriad of well-intentioned schemes to save their hometown, Big Lake. Invariably these plans don't come to fruition and the gang is forced to go back to the drawing board.
Modeled after previous successful groundbreaking Tyler Perry sitcom ventures (for TBS) from Debmar-Mercury co-presidents Mort Marcus and Ira Bernstein, Comedy Central has initially ordered 10 episodes of the Heder sitcom and will then have the option to order an additional 90 episodes upon a successful first season run. Debmar-Mercury would retain the rights to take the series into syndication after its run on Comedy Central. The series is set to commence production on March 31 in New York City with a premiere scheduled for 3Q 2010 (between July-Sept).
Two weeks or so ago we announced the NBC summer 2010 plans, now NBC has announced one of the slots that was empty. NBC announced the premiere date of an additional alternative series joining its previously announced summer 2010 schedule as Losing It with Jillian will debut on Tuesday, June 1 at a special time of 10:00 p.m. ET, starring Jillian Michaels from NBC's The Biggest Loser.
The premiere will follow the debut of America's Got Talent and then move into its regular time slot, Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. ET (before Talent), on June 8 for seven additional weeks. In the hour-long series, Michaels -- in her distinctive, tough love style -- will tackle the obesity epidemic of American families head on as she travels across the country to transform one family at a time. Michaels will be moving in with a different family each week to help change their diet and exercise habits. She will focus on getting to the bottom of the issues each family member faces -- ones that affect their health and happiness -- and will arm them with the tools necessary to make life-altering changes. The families are in for a huge wake up call as Michaels -- tired of hearing all the excuses -- will show America that anyone can make a change.
With the Tuesday at 8PM now set, NBC has only Thursdays at 10PM to announce. They only have one other series that could fit there and that is the unscripted Breakthrough with Tony Robbins. So stay with us for an update.
View the updated NBC summer 2010 schedule.
Finally, Happy St. Patrick's Day! St. Patrick's Day -- a day for Guinness, parades, and little men in green suits. In honor of this annual bash, our friends at TV Tango kissed the Blarney Stone and found the 10 best St. Patrick's Day episodes in TV history. Some of the most memorable St. Patrick's Day episodes include the classic All in the Family episode "Too Good Edith," which was the very last episode of that series before turning into Archie Bunker's Place. In the episode, Archie was throwing his annual St. Patrick's Day bash at the bar, and Edith spent the day in the kitchen making food even though she was ill. So what else made it? You'll have to see yourself! I'm sure the classic Bewitched episode made it, though. But just make sure and see what else made the cut at TV Tango!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.