Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Comedy Central Moves One 'Married' in April, New Sitcom News; NBC Additional Summer Series; Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Comedy Central has cast Chris Parnell and Horatio Sanz in the untitled sitcom starring Jon Heder from Gary Sanchez Productions and Debmar-Mercury. In this sitcom, produced by Gary Sanchez Productions with the production company led by Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, and distributed by Debmar-Mercury, the untitled, multi-camera sitcom for Comedy Central stars Heder (Napoleon Dynamite, Blades of Glory) as a young man who won't let anything get in the way of his big dreams, even if it means losing his job and having to move back in with his parents and sleep on their couch. Heder enlists the help of his friends, an ex-convict, played by Horatio Sanz (Saturday Night Live), and a burned-out high-school teacher, played by Chris Parnell (SNL, 30 Rock), in planning a myriad of well-intentioned schemes to save their hometown, Big Lake. Invariably these plans don't come to fruition and the gang is forced to go back to the drawing board.
Modeled after previous successful groundbreaking Tyler Perry sitcom ventures (for TBS) from Debmar-Mercury co-presidents Mort Marcus and Ira Bernstein, Comedy Central has initially ordered 10 episodes of the Heder sitcom and will then have the option to order an additional 90 episodes upon a successful first season run. Debmar-Mercury would retain the rights to take the series into syndication after its run on Comedy Central. The series is set to commence production on March 31 in New York City with a premiere scheduled for 3Q 2010 (between July-Sept).
Two weeks or so ago we announced the NBC summer 2010 plans, now NBC has announced one of the slots that was empty. NBC announced the premiere date of an additional alternative series joining its previously announced summer 2010 schedule as Losing It with Jillian will debut on Tuesday, June 1 at a special time of 10:00 p.m. ET, starring Jillian Michaels from NBC's The Biggest Loser.
The premiere will follow the debut of America's Got Talent and then move into its regular time slot, Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. ET (before Talent), on June 8 for seven additional weeks. In the hour-long series, Michaels -- in her distinctive, tough love style -- will tackle the obesity epidemic of American families head on as she travels across the country to transform one family at a time. Michaels will be moving in with a different family each week to help change their diet and exercise habits. She will focus on getting to the bottom of the issues each family member faces -- ones that affect their health and happiness -- and will arm them with the tools necessary to make life-altering changes. The families are in for a huge wake up call as Michaels -- tired of hearing all the excuses -- will show America that anyone can make a change.
With the Tuesday at 8PM now set, NBC has only Thursdays at 10PM to announce. They only have one other series that could fit there and that is the unscripted Breakthrough with Tony Robbins. So stay with us for an update.
View the updated NBC summer 2010 schedule.
Finally, Happy St. Patrick's Day! St. Patrick's Day -- a day for Guinness, parades, and little men in green suits. In honor of this annual bash, our friends at TV Tango kissed the Blarney Stone and found the 10 best St. Patrick's Day episodes in TV history. Some of the most memorable St. Patrick's Day episodes include the classic All in the Family episode "Too Good Edith," which was the very last episode of that series before turning into Archie Bunker's Place. In the episode, Archie was throwing his annual St. Patrick's Day bash at the bar, and Edith spent the day in the kitchen making food even though she was ill. So what else made it? You'll have to see yourself! I'm sure the classic Bewitched episode made it, though. But just make sure and see what else made the cut at TV Tango!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, October 26
The Goldbergs - "Stefan King" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Adam’s love of Stephen King inspires him to try his hand at horror writing. After learning the monster in Adam’s story is based off Beverly, she forces Adam to stay in on Halloween and rewrite it, hoping he depicts her as a better mother. Meanwhile, Erica is desperate to find a date to the costume dance and forces Barry go with her.
Speechless - "H-A-L-- HALLOWEEN" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jimmy is upset the kids no longer want to participate in the family tradition of dressing up for Halloween. Maya tries to cheer up Jimmy by allowing him to do things he loves by taking things off the family “Dead to Me” list. Meanwhile, Ray recruits Dylan to help work the school’s haunted mansion while Kenneth is scared of losing his job when JJ gets drunk at a party. Even though Maya is furious, she is thrilled to see JJ having a “normal” life.
Modern Family - "Halloween 4: The Revenge of Rod Skyhook" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Luke’s Halloween party isn’t the monster bash he dreamed of and is at risk of having the worst party of the year. Sensing trouble, the rest of the Dunphy’s realize all his party needs is a visit from Rod Skyhook, a little promotion and some adult supervision to get it started. Meanwhile at the Tucker-Pritchett home, Cam faces off with his Halloween nemesis while Lily and Mitchell try to save the day and work to keep him from going to the darkside. Finally, when Jay finds out that Manny is going to a party at the home of an old enemy, he enlists him to deliver a trick he will never forget.
black-ish - "The Purge" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Junior embarrasses Dre during a basketball game, Dre decides to remind Junior of his master pranking skills so he’ll never challenge him again. Meanwhile, the neighborhood participates in a “mischief night” during Halloween where petty crimes become legal, and Ruby takes it too far with the kids.
Younger - "P Is for Pancake" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Kelsey dates a seemingly perfect guy, but Liza and Lauren think it’s too soon. At a party of doctors, Josh puts his relationship with Liza under the microscope.
Impastor - "Sins of the Past-or Part 2" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Dora’s and Alexa’s lives are both in jeopardy and Buddy must choose which one to save. Russell and Dora have a falling out. Schmidt is robbed.
You're the Worst - "The Seventh Layer" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Vernon and Paul take a road trip.
Wednesday, October 26
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Watch Joel on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Colton Dunn (Superstore), Lauren Ash (Superstore/Super Fun Night and Nico Santos (Superstore) - Colton, Lauren and Nico are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Donald Glover (Atlanta/Community) - Donald appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - See what happens when Dr. Oz visits the set of Dr. Ken on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John talks about The Crown on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Boris Kodjoe (The Last Man on Earth/Second Time Around) - Boris joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Issa Rae (Insecure) - Issa is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin talks about Life in Pieces on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Betsy Brandt (Life in Pieces/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Betsy talks about Life in PieceS on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.