Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Comedy Central Moves One 'Married' in April, New Sitcom News; NBC Additional Summer Series; Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Comedy Central has cast Chris Parnell and Horatio Sanz in the untitled sitcom starring Jon Heder from Gary Sanchez Productions and Debmar-Mercury. In this sitcom, produced by Gary Sanchez Productions with the production company led by Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, and distributed by Debmar-Mercury, the untitled, multi-camera sitcom for Comedy Central stars Heder (Napoleon Dynamite, Blades of Glory) as a young man who won't let anything get in the way of his big dreams, even if it means losing his job and having to move back in with his parents and sleep on their couch. Heder enlists the help of his friends, an ex-convict, played by Horatio Sanz (Saturday Night Live), and a burned-out high-school teacher, played by Chris Parnell (SNL, 30 Rock), in planning a myriad of well-intentioned schemes to save their hometown, Big Lake. Invariably these plans don't come to fruition and the gang is forced to go back to the drawing board.
Modeled after previous successful groundbreaking Tyler Perry sitcom ventures (for TBS) from Debmar-Mercury co-presidents Mort Marcus and Ira Bernstein, Comedy Central has initially ordered 10 episodes of the Heder sitcom and will then have the option to order an additional 90 episodes upon a successful first season run. Debmar-Mercury would retain the rights to take the series into syndication after its run on Comedy Central. The series is set to commence production on March 31 in New York City with a premiere scheduled for 3Q 2010 (between July-Sept).
Two weeks or so ago we announced the NBC summer 2010 plans, now NBC has announced one of the slots that was empty. NBC announced the premiere date of an additional alternative series joining its previously announced summer 2010 schedule as Losing It with Jillian will debut on Tuesday, June 1 at a special time of 10:00 p.m. ET, starring Jillian Michaels from NBC's The Biggest Loser.
The premiere will follow the debut of America's Got Talent and then move into its regular time slot, Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. ET (before Talent), on June 8 for seven additional weeks. In the hour-long series, Michaels -- in her distinctive, tough love style -- will tackle the obesity epidemic of American families head on as she travels across the country to transform one family at a time. Michaels will be moving in with a different family each week to help change their diet and exercise habits. She will focus on getting to the bottom of the issues each family member faces -- ones that affect their health and happiness -- and will arm them with the tools necessary to make life-altering changes. The families are in for a huge wake up call as Michaels -- tired of hearing all the excuses -- will show America that anyone can make a change.
With the Tuesday at 8PM now set, NBC has only Thursdays at 10PM to announce. They only have one other series that could fit there and that is the unscripted Breakthrough with Tony Robbins. So stay with us for an update.
View the updated NBC summer 2010 schedule.
Finally, Happy St. Patrick's Day! St. Patrick's Day -- a day for Guinness, parades, and little men in green suits. In honor of this annual bash, our friends at TV Tango kissed the Blarney Stone and found the 10 best St. Patrick's Day episodes in TV history. Some of the most memorable St. Patrick's Day episodes include the classic All in the Family episode "Too Good Edith," which was the very last episode of that series before turning into Archie Bunker's Place. In the episode, Archie was throwing his annual St. Patrick's Day bash at the bar, and Edith spent the day in the kitchen making food even though she was ill. So what else made it? You'll have to see yourself! I'm sure the classic Bewitched episode made it, though. But just make sure and see what else made the cut at TV Tango!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.