Saturday, February 27, 2010
Blog DVD Review: Matlock - The Fourth Season (3/2); Special Preview: Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 1, 2010)
Matlock - The Fourth Season (CBS DVD, $49.99) brings order to the courtroom with 23 more episodes of the man in the gray suit that proves that the elderly really can fight to defend criminal defendants accused of the most heinous crimes. Andy Griffith is, of course, Ben Matlock, who appears to be a kind older gentleman, but is in fact a powerful defense attorney who can defend virtually anybody. Michelle Thomas (Nancy Stafford) is his partner in his law firm, and joining Ben for this season is his newest private investigator, Conrad McMasters (Clarence Gilyard, Jr.). The Fourth Season contains all 23 unedited episodes of the 1989-1990 season on six discs.
In the two hour season premiere, "The Hunting Party," Ben has to travel to Roanoke Island to defend a man guilty of murdering a wealthy duck hunter, but while there, he meets Conrad, who would become his private investigator. In "The Good Boy," a woman is accused of murdering her husband, but could the real murderer be the stepson whom he threatened to send to military school? Murder is no laughing matter when a circus clown is dead (and his partner is accused of the murder) in "The Clown." A prison guard is suspected of killing a snitch in the two-part episode "The Prisoner," and Ben and Conrad do some undercover work to get to the bottom of it. One of Ben's clients decides to escape from his own murder trial in "The Fugitive."
Ben thinks one of his friends may be behind a 35 year old murder in "The Buddies." Murder doesn't take a holiday, as is proven in "The Scrooge." An obnoxious talk show host is murdered in "The Talk Show." Ben has been kidnapped in "The Kidnapper." In "The Informer," one of Ben's own colleagues is accused of murdering a client. Ben and Conrad step up to help the district attorney, Julie, in "The D.A." Who would kill the cookie lady? Find out in the appropriately titled episode, "The Cookie Monster."
There isn't much to say about the packaging for this set, as it is just a standard CBS DVD release with a standard DVD case. The cover art has Ben, Julie, and Michelle on it (why did they exclude Conrad?) and the back of the case has all of the season information as well as snapshots of all four main cast members. Inside, there are descriptions for each of the episodes, along with original airdates. Each disc is gray, with no artwork, and each disc contains four episodes, except for Disc 1, which contains the two-hour season premiere and two regular episodes.
The menus on the set are pretty standard as well, with nothing particularly special about them. They each have snapshots from the episodes on the discs and different pictures of Ben and Julie, with one of them containing the exact same photo on the cover art (except flipped). The main menu has no audio, and has basic options of Play All, then a listing of all of the episodes. Chapters are placed throughout each episode.
The video quality is mostly fine, but it does leave something to be desired. The episodes look like they could have been cleaned up a little bit better than they were. The audio, presented in stereo, is pretty loud and clear. The episodes are all closed-captioned. The set has the standard CBS DVD disclaimers about edited episodes, but there really doesn't appear to be an issue, aside from the missing opening teasers for each episode. The only slight area of concern that I have is the final episode of the season, "The Cookie Monster," which runs at just under 46 minutes, but I don't know for certain that anything is missing there. Runtimes for each episode are as follows:
1. The Hunting Party (1:33:25)
2. The Good Boy (47:55)
3. The Best Seller (47:56)
4. The Ex (47:56)
5. The Clown (47:58)
6. The Star (47:28)
7. The Con Man (47:54)
8. The Prisoner, Part 1 (47:55)
9. The Prisoner, Part 2 (46:24)
10. The Fugitive (47:55)
11. The Witness (47:54)
12. The Buddies (47:55)
13. The Scrooge (47:55)
14. The Student (46:56)
15. The Talk Show (46:55)
16. The Victim (46:54)
17. The Kidnapper (46:58)
18. The Pro (46:57)
19. The Informer, Part 1 (46:56)
20. The Informer, Part 2 (46:26)
21. The D.A. (46:57)
22. The Blackmailer (46:53)
23. The Cookie Monster (45:56)
Once again, there is a void of special features. It would be nice to see Andy Griffith himself participating on these sets somehow, even if it is just a brief interview.
This set certainly isn’t going to impress anybody, but it is definitely adequate and the episodes on the set are always fun to watch. Matlock is a series that everybody can enjoy, and it did make a mark in pop culture when it originally aired. Hopefully, the remaining seasons will all be released in a timely manner, and it would be nice if they could improve the video quality JUST a little bit and throw in some special features. This set may not have a rock solid defense, but I think it is clear that this set is not guilty, and Matlock himself would prove it to you.
-- Reviewed by skees53
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Matlock TV.com Page
Today, in addition to the blog review, we are doing a special preview of a new blog feature here at SitcomsOnline called "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows." We always have had this request because I'm sure some of you may miss a blog story or something (hopefully not!), but now every Friday we will bring you the listings of Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows for the coming week. The stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
We are launching it today on a Saturday, but its normal day and time will be on Fridays right after our normal news. So without further adieu, here is our first blog story on this new feature!
For the week of March 1-5, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for this week!
- First up, on Monday, March 1, Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) will be on the Tavis Smiley Show to talk about his hit CBS sitcom. Check your local PBS listings for the time in your area for this talk show. Also from The Big Bang Theory, Simon Helberg (Howard) will appear on CBS's The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am ET/PT. 30 Rock's Judah Friedlander will be on NBC's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:35am ET/PT. Former sitcom star (and Baywatch babe) Nicole Eggert (Charles in Charge) will be on TBS's Lopez Tonight at 11pm ET, but she will be primarily talking about her stint on Celebrity Fit Club. Also, David Spade (Rules of Engagement) will be on syndicated talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show to talk about the return of his sitcom. Check local listings for time and channel in your area. And finally Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) will be on Oprah to talk about his upcoming series he is producing, but I'm covering him because he is likely to bring up Seinfeld because he is returning to NBC. Check your local listings and time for Oprah. Oh just one more thing for Monday, Jimmy Kimmel Live will have an interview with one of the Dancing with the Stars contestants on his show. Will it be a sitcom star? We will have to watch and see, as the new batch of contestants will be announced on Monday night in primetime. The show airs on ABC at 12:05am ET.
- Moving on to Tuesday, March 2. Once again I would normally not cover George Clooney, but this is a 20/20 Before They Were Stars special in time for the Oscars and Clooney will be interviewed about his past, which includes a stint on the '80s sitcom The Facts of Life. Lisa Whelchel (Blair from Facts of Life) is also interviewed! The special airs on ABC on Tuesday, March 2 at 10pm ET/PT. And as we mentioned already there is a Partridge Family reunion on Tuesday on NBC's Today show with Suzanne Crough, Danny Bonaduce, David Cassidy, and Brian Forster. We are not sure of the exact time, but are told it would be either in the 8am ET or 9am ET hour. Bryan Greenberg from the new HBO sitcom How To Make It In America will be on The Bonnie Hunt Show. Check your local listings for time and channel. And if you get Retirement Living TV (RLTV), Robert Guillaume (SOAP, Benson) stops by The Florence Henderson Show at 2pm ET.
- For Wednesday, March 3, we have to break some sad news as NBC has canceled the Brady Bunch reunion that was set for this date on the Today show. All of the Brady kids were set to appear, but it is likely that Eve Plumb and/or Maureen McCormick both backed out because of their little feud. Originally McCormick was not set to appear, but was penciled in late this past week (and probably pissing Plumb off?) when Florence Henderson couldn't make it because she had to go to Michigan to film a movie. Just speculating the reason. Jerry Seinfeld will once again be promoting his upcoming series for NBC, this time on The Late Show with David Letterman, but I wouldn't doubt a Seinfeld mention. Letterman airs on CBS at 11:35pm ET/PT. Former child sitcom star-turned big star Regina King (227) will be on NBC's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:35am ET/PT to promote her TNT series. Cougar Town star Courtney Cox will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, check your local listings for time and channel. Cox's former Friends co-star Lisa Kudrow will be on ABC's The View on this day as well at 11:00am ET/10:00am PT to promote her new series that she is producing. And finally TV/sitcom legend Tim Conway stops by The Florence Henderson Show at 2pm ET on Retirement Living Television.
- On Thursday, March 4, all eyes are set on the 227 reunion on NBC's Today show. Scheduled to appear are Marla Gibbs, Hal Williams, Jackee Harry, Curtis Baldwin and even Regina King (she has become a major star on film and television)! As of now, we only have word that the reunion will take place sometime in the 8am ET or 9am ET hour. Jerry Seinfeld will also appear on the Today show to promote his new series he is producing. Former sitcom child star Valerie Bertinelli (One Day at a Time) will be a guest co-host on ABC's The View on this day, so she will be on the entire show! 11am ET/10am PT on ABC. Also, RLTV will be airing a repeat of The Florence Henderson Show at 10pm ET & 1am ET featuring best-of interviews with TV/sitcom legends including Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett!
- On Friday, March 5, Lisa Kudrow appears on NBC's Today show to promote her new series she is producing for NBC that launches later that night.
Liked it? This was just a test run and we will slowly improve it based on your comments and such. But for now something like this will appear on the blog every Friday right after our regular news! Hope you find this useful! Leave us comments on our message board or Tweet/Facebook us!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, October 2
Bad Judge - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Rebecca Wright (Kate Walsh) knows how to have a good time, but she also happens to be one of L.A.’s toughest and most respected criminal court judges. She has a reputation for unorthodox behavior in the courtroom, including creative rulings and saying exactly what’s on her mind. Her private life, on the other hand, is anything but innocent. While there’s no shortage of male admirers who would love to spend time with her, she’s not ready to settle down.
A to Z - "A Is for Acquaintances" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
This is the A-to-Z story of Andrew (Ben Feldman) and Zelda (Cristin Milioti) — a pair that almost wasn’t — and all that happened from the day they met. When a computer glitch sends her a total mismatch, she’s asked to come in for an interview at the internet dating site where Andrew works, and this is where it all begins. Andrew and Zelda meet for the first time and despite their differences, sparks fly. She thinks it’s chance. He thinks it’s fate and is convinced she’s the shimmering girl in the silver dress he saw several years earlier.
- "Sanders Again" (Nick at Nite, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Aaron's imaginary friend "Sanders" comes back, Stephanie is worried that she is spending too much time working. After reading up on the subject, Stephanie makes sure Sanders feels welcomed, until he crosses the line.
See Dad Run - "See Dad Ruin Joe's Teacher" (Nick at Nite, 8:30PM ET/PT)
David inadvertently encourages Joe's favorite teacher to follow his dream of writing, but when David discovers he doesn't cut it as a "beat poetry" substitute, he must find a way to get the teacher back or risk disappointing Joe.
Dog with a Blog - "Howloween 2: the Final Reckoning" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bennett and Ellen overhear Stan talking; the kids go into damage control and try to convince their parents that the house is haunted.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets World: of Terror" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
While Auggie braves the monster under his bed, Riley survives a sleep over at Maya's with her grandmother and pet ferret; Farkle faces the ultimate terror: softball.
Jessie - "The Runaway Bride of Frankenstein" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The Halloween Festival takes a scary turn when Brooks proposes to Jessie and she learns that none of the Ross kids approve.
Thursday, October 2
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne) - Catch Johnny on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Sarah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- John Mulaney (Mulaney) - John appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Melissa Fumero (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Melissa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/I'm a Big Girl Now) - Martin visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Mario appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu will be on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Ana Gasteyer (Suburgatory) - Ana can be heard on Wake Up with Taylor on Sirius XM Stars channel 109 sometime between 6-9am. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET
- John Mulaney (Mulaney) - John talks about his new show Mulaney on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge) - Kate discusses her new show Bad Judge on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Cristin Milioti (A to Z/How I Met Your Mother) - Cristin chats about her new show A to Z on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She can also be heard on Covino & Rich on SiriusXM Indie radio channel 102 at 2pm.
- Nasim Pedrad (Mulaney - Nasim talks about her new show Mulaney on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Sheryl Lee Ralph (Instant Mom/Moesha/It's a Living) - Sheryl will be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.
- Tom Arnold (Tom/The Tom Show/Roseanne) - Tom is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. (Freddie) - Freddie appears on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.