Sunday, January 03, 2010
We are preempting our normal TV ratings and analysis again this week, due to the holidays...but we will cover how the sitcoms did. Our full reports return next week.
Week 15 How the Sitcoms Did
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week 14 -- Dec. 21-27)
- Brothers (Fox) 2 episodes - Probably the two final episodes ever aired. Only 1.6 million tuned in for the 7pm episode, but not all of the country saw it due to NFL action. By 7:11pm the entire country got the episode and it only went up to 1.8 million. A second episode at 7:30pm only did 1.9 million.
- The Simpsons (Fox) - 4.1 million for a repeat, but no direct NFL lead-in, so down like four million from previous week's repeat.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - 4.2 million for a repeat, big drop from previous week, but built on the lead-in in viewers and 18-49 (1.8 to 2.0).
- Family Guy (Fox) - 5.1 million for a repeat, down from previous week's NFL boosted line-up.
- American Dad (Fox) - Only 4.1 million for a repeat, obviously down from previous week as the other animated comedies.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 5.96 million, up some from previous week's repeat.
- Accidentally on Purpose (CBS) - 5.71 million for a repeat, up some from previous week's repeat and again decent retention at least from the lead-in. 1.6 18-49 rating was up some also from previous week, but it didn't hold 100% of its lead-in's 1.8 like previous week.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 11.09 million for a repeat. Excellent and up some from previous week's rerun.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat did a nice 9.94 million and a 3.0 18-49 rating, but both down a bit from previous week...while all the other CBS comedies went up a bit. Still good though for a repeat.
- Community (NBC) 4 episodes - A special four episode marathon of repeats didn't do much. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 2.62 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10 (that did 3.18 million and a 0.9 18-49).
- Scrubs (ABC) - A repeat only did a prelim 2.89 million. Don't have finals for this yet, sorry.
- Better off Ted (ABC) - Only 2.67 million tuned in for an all-new episode, a bit lower than previous week, however Scrubs was a repeat.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) 4 episodes - A special four episode marathon did bad. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 2.89 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10 (that did 2.98 million and a 0.9 18-49).
- Old Christine (CBS) - 5.75 million tuned in for a repeat on one of the slowest weeks of the year.
- Gary Unmarried (CBS) - 5.33 million for a repeat and held 100% of the lead-in's 1.5 18-49 rating.
- The Middle (ABC) - For ABC, I only have prelim numbers for their comedies due to the holiday. A repeat did a prelim 4.33 million, down from previous week.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat did a prelim 4.46 million, down a million or so from previous week's repeat.
- Cougar Town (ABC) - A repeat did a prelim 3.82 million, up from previous week's repeats in the 10pm hour. Don't forget ABC Comedy Wednesday returns with all-new episodes on Wednesday with Lisa Kudrow on Cougar Town!
- The Office (NBC) 4 episodes - It was sitcoms galore on this night on the networks. 4 repeats aired on a special night. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 3.75 million and a 1.4 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) - preempted.
- The Office (NBC) - preempted.
- 30 Rock (NBC) 4 episodes - Only prelim numbers are available for this night due to the holiday, but four repeats on New Year's Eve did only prelim 3.36 million, 2.93 million, 2.55 million, and 2.45 million...going down each half-hour.
- Better off Ted (ABC) 2 episodes - The show was all-new after the Rose Bowl in the east/central, but it followed local programming in mountain/pacific. The episode did a prelim 5.62 million and a 1.7 18-49, but this is not final. ABC was off by 10 minutes in the east/central due to the Rose Bowl, so Ted started at 8:40pm. A repeat at 9:40pm only did a prelim 2.74 million.
- Scrubs (ABC) - An all-new episode at 9:10pm did only a prelim 3.53 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating...but some of that is a Ted repeat, since the episode ended at 9:40pm in the east/central. Wait until the finals for a better report on these. Stay tuned for finals for this past week on our message board as usual.
Airing tonight (Sunday) on Fox are new episodes of animated comedies from 8-10pm tonight following NFL action.
Summing it up. Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory repeats were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as How I Met Your Mother, Old Christine) or just plain old terrible (such as Better off Ted, Community, Parks & Recreation, Brothers).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)
08/04 - The Comeback - The Complete Series
08/04 - I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 (Blu-ray)
08/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - Season Three
08/11 - The Jeffersons - Season Eight
08/11 - Maude - The Complete Second Season
08/11 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fourth Season
08/11 - The Jeff Foxworthy Show - The COmplete Series (Mill Creek)
08/18 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fifth Season
08/18 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final (Fourth) Season
08/25 - King of the Hill - The Complete 11th Season
08/25 - The Mindy Project - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, August 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Leftover Thermalization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Friction ensues when a magazine fails to mention Leonard in an article about the paper he co-wrote with Sheldon. Also, a blackout at Mrs. Wolowitz’s home leads to a final family dinner.
Mom - "Sick Popes and a Red Ferrari" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After Bonnie’s relapse, the women from her meeting rally around to help her through withdrawal from painkillers, but Christy wants no part of it.
Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll - "Supercalifragilisticjuliefriggingandrews" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Gigi meets Johnny's mom and finds out why Mary Poppins ruined her career in show business. And Johnny's childhood.
Married - "The Cruise" (FX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Lina helps Russ manage his relationship with his mother.
Thursday, August 27
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Catch Patton on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Liz Gillies (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll) - Liz stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Denis Leary (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/The Job) - Denis will be on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Craig Robinson (Mr. Robinson/The Office) - Craig is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Michael Ian Black (The Jim Gaffigan Show) - Michael appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - Henry is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Tom Lennon (The Odd Couple) and Ron Funches (Undateable) - Tom and Ron are guests on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Shia LaBeouf (Even Stevens) - Shia appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Marcus Scribner, Yara Shahidi, Miles Brown and Marsai Martin (black-ish) - The kids of black-ish are guests on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time) - Valerie discusses her new cooking series and serves up her signature quiche and an Italian-inspired cocktail on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about Mr. Robot on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Julie Benz (Hi Honey, I'm Home!/Payne) - Julie stops by the kitchen on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT. She will also be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe talks about the health condition that kept her from traveling with her co-stars on a repeat of The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- J.B. Smoove (The Millers/Curb Your Enthusiasm/'Til Death) - J.B. is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Patricia Clarkson (Davis Rules) - Patricia appears on People.com Chatter.
- Ed Asner (Mary Tyler Moore/Thunder Alley) - Ed chats on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.