Sunday, January 03, 2010
We are preempting our normal TV ratings and analysis again this week, due to the holidays...but we will cover how the sitcoms did. Our full reports return next week.
Week 15 How the Sitcoms Did
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week 14 -- Dec. 21-27)
- Brothers (Fox) 2 episodes - Probably the two final episodes ever aired. Only 1.6 million tuned in for the 7pm episode, but not all of the country saw it due to NFL action. By 7:11pm the entire country got the episode and it only went up to 1.8 million. A second episode at 7:30pm only did 1.9 million.
- The Simpsons (Fox) - 4.1 million for a repeat, but no direct NFL lead-in, so down like four million from previous week's repeat.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - 4.2 million for a repeat, big drop from previous week, but built on the lead-in in viewers and 18-49 (1.8 to 2.0).
- Family Guy (Fox) - 5.1 million for a repeat, down from previous week's NFL boosted line-up.
- American Dad (Fox) - Only 4.1 million for a repeat, obviously down from previous week as the other animated comedies.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 5.96 million, up some from previous week's repeat.
- Accidentally on Purpose (CBS) - 5.71 million for a repeat, up some from previous week's repeat and again decent retention at least from the lead-in. 1.6 18-49 rating was up some also from previous week, but it didn't hold 100% of its lead-in's 1.8 like previous week.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 11.09 million for a repeat. Excellent and up some from previous week's rerun.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat did a nice 9.94 million and a 3.0 18-49 rating, but both down a bit from previous week...while all the other CBS comedies went up a bit. Still good though for a repeat.
- Community (NBC) 4 episodes - A special four episode marathon of repeats didn't do much. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 2.62 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10 (that did 3.18 million and a 0.9 18-49).
- Scrubs (ABC) - A repeat only did a prelim 2.89 million. Don't have finals for this yet, sorry.
- Better off Ted (ABC) - Only 2.67 million tuned in for an all-new episode, a bit lower than previous week, however Scrubs was a repeat.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) 4 episodes - A special four episode marathon did bad. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 2.89 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10 (that did 2.98 million and a 0.9 18-49).
- Old Christine (CBS) - 5.75 million tuned in for a repeat on one of the slowest weeks of the year.
- Gary Unmarried (CBS) - 5.33 million for a repeat and held 100% of the lead-in's 1.5 18-49 rating.
- The Middle (ABC) - For ABC, I only have prelim numbers for their comedies due to the holiday. A repeat did a prelim 4.33 million, down from previous week.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat did a prelim 4.46 million, down a million or so from previous week's repeat.
- Cougar Town (ABC) - A repeat did a prelim 3.82 million, up from previous week's repeats in the 10pm hour. Don't forget ABC Comedy Wednesday returns with all-new episodes on Wednesday with Lisa Kudrow on Cougar Town!
- The Office (NBC) 4 episodes - It was sitcoms galore on this night on the networks. 4 repeats aired on a special night. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 3.75 million and a 1.4 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) - preempted.
- The Office (NBC) - preempted.
- 30 Rock (NBC) 4 episodes - Only prelim numbers are available for this night due to the holiday, but four repeats on New Year's Eve did only prelim 3.36 million, 2.93 million, 2.55 million, and 2.45 million...going down each half-hour.
- Better off Ted (ABC) 2 episodes - The show was all-new after the Rose Bowl in the east/central, but it followed local programming in mountain/pacific. The episode did a prelim 5.62 million and a 1.7 18-49, but this is not final. ABC was off by 10 minutes in the east/central due to the Rose Bowl, so Ted started at 8:40pm. A repeat at 9:40pm only did a prelim 2.74 million.
- Scrubs (ABC) - An all-new episode at 9:10pm did only a prelim 3.53 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating...but some of that is a Ted repeat, since the episode ended at 9:40pm in the east/central. Wait until the finals for a better report on these. Stay tuned for finals for this past week on our message board as usual.
Airing tonight (Sunday) on Fox are new episodes of animated comedies from 8-10pm tonight following NFL action.
Summing it up. Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory repeats were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as How I Met Your Mother, Old Christine) or just plain old terrible (such as Better off Ted, Community, Parks & Recreation, Brothers).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Read Our Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, November 23
The Simpsons - "Brick Like Me" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Homer wakes up in a world where his family and everyone in Springfield are made of Legos. Can he “put together” how he got there, and figure out how to get home before he’s stuck in a world of bricks forever?
Mulaney - "Patriot Acts" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
When Jane starts dating a marine, John and Motif, feeling guilty for their lack of service, try to sign up for a USO Comedy Tour. Meanwhile, Lou recounts how war – and improv – are hell.
The Simpsons - "Covercraft" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Homer has a mid-life crisis, takes up bass guitar and forms a cover band with some of the other dads in town. But the band’s modest early success is soon overwhelmed by the breakout potential of their most unlikely star, Apu.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "USPIS" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
While attempting to catch a drug dealer, Jake and Charles reluctantly join forces with the nerdy lead investigator at the U.S. Postal Service, Jack Danger (guest star Ed Helms). Meanwhile, the rest of the team helps Amy quit smoking.
Family Guy - "Grimm Job" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
From Grimm to Griffin, three classic fairy tales get a new Quahog spin, including “Jack and the Beanstalk,” “Little Red Riding Hood,” and “Cinderella.”
Bob's Burgers - "Dawn of the Peck" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
While Bob is boycotting the holiday, Linda and the kids spend Thanksgiving at the First Annual Fischoeder Turk-tacular Turkey Town Festival. However, a wild bird attack leads to total mayhem.
Austin & Ally - "Relationships and Red Carpets" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Austin's record label wants him to hide his relationship with Ally; Dez considers moving to Los Angeles to attend film school and be closer to his girlfriend.
Liv and Maddie - "Hoops-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Liv is offered the lead in a basketball movie; Willow and Maddie help teach her how to play basketball.
Sunday, November 23
- Meredith Baxter (Family Ties/Bridget Loves Bernie) - Meredith will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 9pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Tim Allen (Last Man Standing/Home Impprovment) - Watch Tim on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ken Jeong (Community) - Ken is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He discusses The Gambler on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Ken Marino (Marry Me/Party Down) - Ken appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Will Arnett (The Millers/Up All Night/Arrested Development) - Will is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Tune in to see Jennnifer on a repeat of The Colbert Report at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Tom Lennon (Reno 911!/Sean Saves the World) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke discusses her new book (There Was a Little Girl) on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Yara Shahidi (black-ish) - Yara stops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) and Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Candace and Marilu will be on the Home & Family Holiday Special on Hallmark Channel at 8pm ET/PT. It repeats at 10am ET/PT on Tuesday. Candace will also be on Arise TV on their website at 3pm and on Centric at 3am on Tuesday. She is a guest on Fox and Friends on Fox News Channel at 8:30am. She will be on HuffPost Live at 1:00pm. Candace's Christmas Under Wraps premieres on November 29 at 8/7C on Hallmark Channel.
- Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Tori and Dean McDermott talk about their fight to save their marriage on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Urie (Partners) - Michael will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly will be part of the Plugged In panel on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Tim Meadows and Dan Bucatinsky (Marry Me) - Tim and Dan are guests on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey talks about Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.