Sunday, January 03, 2010
We are preempting our normal TV ratings and analysis again this week, due to the holidays...but we will cover how the sitcoms did. Our full reports return next week.
Week 15 How the Sitcoms Did
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week 14 -- Dec. 21-27)
- Brothers (Fox) 2 episodes - Probably the two final episodes ever aired. Only 1.6 million tuned in for the 7pm episode, but not all of the country saw it due to NFL action. By 7:11pm the entire country got the episode and it only went up to 1.8 million. A second episode at 7:30pm only did 1.9 million.
- The Simpsons (Fox) - 4.1 million for a repeat, but no direct NFL lead-in, so down like four million from previous week's repeat.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - 4.2 million for a repeat, big drop from previous week, but built on the lead-in in viewers and 18-49 (1.8 to 2.0).
- Family Guy (Fox) - 5.1 million for a repeat, down from previous week's NFL boosted line-up.
- American Dad (Fox) - Only 4.1 million for a repeat, obviously down from previous week as the other animated comedies.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 5.96 million, up some from previous week's repeat.
- Accidentally on Purpose (CBS) - 5.71 million for a repeat, up some from previous week's repeat and again decent retention at least from the lead-in. 1.6 18-49 rating was up some also from previous week, but it didn't hold 100% of its lead-in's 1.8 like previous week.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 11.09 million for a repeat. Excellent and up some from previous week's rerun.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat did a nice 9.94 million and a 3.0 18-49 rating, but both down a bit from previous week...while all the other CBS comedies went up a bit. Still good though for a repeat.
- Community (NBC) 4 episodes - A special four episode marathon of repeats didn't do much. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 2.62 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10 (that did 3.18 million and a 0.9 18-49).
- Scrubs (ABC) - A repeat only did a prelim 2.89 million. Don't have finals for this yet, sorry.
- Better off Ted (ABC) - Only 2.67 million tuned in for an all-new episode, a bit lower than previous week, however Scrubs was a repeat.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) 4 episodes - A special four episode marathon did bad. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 2.89 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10 (that did 2.98 million and a 0.9 18-49).
- Old Christine (CBS) - 5.75 million tuned in for a repeat on one of the slowest weeks of the year.
- Gary Unmarried (CBS) - 5.33 million for a repeat and held 100% of the lead-in's 1.5 18-49 rating.
- The Middle (ABC) - For ABC, I only have prelim numbers for their comedies due to the holiday. A repeat did a prelim 4.33 million, down from previous week.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat did a prelim 4.46 million, down a million or so from previous week's repeat.
- Cougar Town (ABC) - A repeat did a prelim 3.82 million, up from previous week's repeats in the 10pm hour. Don't forget ABC Comedy Wednesday returns with all-new episodes on Wednesday with Lisa Kudrow on Cougar Town!
- The Office (NBC) 4 episodes - It was sitcoms galore on this night on the networks. 4 repeats aired on a special night. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 3.75 million and a 1.4 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) - preempted.
- The Office (NBC) - preempted.
- 30 Rock (NBC) 4 episodes - Only prelim numbers are available for this night due to the holiday, but four repeats on New Year's Eve did only prelim 3.36 million, 2.93 million, 2.55 million, and 2.45 million...going down each half-hour.
- Better off Ted (ABC) 2 episodes - The show was all-new after the Rose Bowl in the east/central, but it followed local programming in mountain/pacific. The episode did a prelim 5.62 million and a 1.7 18-49, but this is not final. ABC was off by 10 minutes in the east/central due to the Rose Bowl, so Ted started at 8:40pm. A repeat at 9:40pm only did a prelim 2.74 million.
- Scrubs (ABC) - An all-new episode at 9:10pm did only a prelim 3.53 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating...but some of that is a Ted repeat, since the episode ended at 9:40pm in the east/central. Wait until the finals for a better report on these. Stay tuned for finals for this past week on our message board as usual.
Airing tonight (Sunday) on Fox are new episodes of animated comedies from 8-10pm tonight following NFL action.
Summing it up. Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory repeats were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as How I Met Your Mother, Old Christine) or just plain old terrible (such as Better off Ted, Community, Parks & Recreation, Brothers).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 23
Superstore - "Mateo's Last Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mateo (Nico Santos) faces complications with his transfer to a Cloud 9 Signature store, he becomes desperate to resolve his undocumented status. Meanwhile, Amy (America Ferrera) helps Glenn (Mark McKinney) battle an Internet troll, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) try to give Mateo legal counsel, and Dina (Lauren Ash) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) take issue with corporate.
Powerless - "I'm a Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Baskets - "Circus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Christine turns to Arby's after Chip joins the Russians.
Thursday, March 23
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Stephanie is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nick D'Agosto (Trial & Error) - Nick is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody talks about Wilson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Woody and Laura Dern will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.