Sunday, January 03, 2010
We are preempting our normal TV ratings and analysis again this week, due to the holidays...but we will cover how the sitcoms did. Our full reports return next week.
Week 15 How the Sitcoms Did
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week 14 -- Dec. 21-27)
- Brothers (Fox) 2 episodes - Probably the two final episodes ever aired. Only 1.6 million tuned in for the 7pm episode, but not all of the country saw it due to NFL action. By 7:11pm the entire country got the episode and it only went up to 1.8 million. A second episode at 7:30pm only did 1.9 million.
- The Simpsons (Fox) - 4.1 million for a repeat, but no direct NFL lead-in, so down like four million from previous week's repeat.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - 4.2 million for a repeat, big drop from previous week, but built on the lead-in in viewers and 18-49 (1.8 to 2.0).
- Family Guy (Fox) - 5.1 million for a repeat, down from previous week's NFL boosted line-up.
- American Dad (Fox) - Only 4.1 million for a repeat, obviously down from previous week as the other animated comedies.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 5.96 million, up some from previous week's repeat.
- Accidentally on Purpose (CBS) - 5.71 million for a repeat, up some from previous week's repeat and again decent retention at least from the lead-in. 1.6 18-49 rating was up some also from previous week, but it didn't hold 100% of its lead-in's 1.8 like previous week.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 11.09 million for a repeat. Excellent and up some from previous week's rerun.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat did a nice 9.94 million and a 3.0 18-49 rating, but both down a bit from previous week...while all the other CBS comedies went up a bit. Still good though for a repeat.
- Community (NBC) 4 episodes - A special four episode marathon of repeats didn't do much. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 2.62 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10 (that did 3.18 million and a 0.9 18-49).
- Scrubs (ABC) - A repeat only did a prelim 2.89 million. Don't have finals for this yet, sorry.
- Better off Ted (ABC) - Only 2.67 million tuned in for an all-new episode, a bit lower than previous week, however Scrubs was a repeat.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) 4 episodes - A special four episode marathon did bad. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 2.89 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10 (that did 2.98 million and a 0.9 18-49).
- Old Christine (CBS) - 5.75 million tuned in for a repeat on one of the slowest weeks of the year.
- Gary Unmarried (CBS) - 5.33 million for a repeat and held 100% of the lead-in's 1.5 18-49 rating.
- The Middle (ABC) - For ABC, I only have prelim numbers for their comedies due to the holiday. A repeat did a prelim 4.33 million, down from previous week.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat did a prelim 4.46 million, down a million or so from previous week's repeat.
- Cougar Town (ABC) - A repeat did a prelim 3.82 million, up from previous week's repeats in the 10pm hour. Don't forget ABC Comedy Wednesday returns with all-new episodes on Wednesday with Lisa Kudrow on Cougar Town!
- The Office (NBC) 4 episodes - It was sitcoms galore on this night on the networks. 4 repeats aired on a special night. I don't have final numbers yet for each episode, but NBC averaged 3.75 million and a 1.4 18-49 rating for the night in the finals, which includes Leno at 10.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) - preempted.
- The Office (NBC) - preempted.
- 30 Rock (NBC) 4 episodes - Only prelim numbers are available for this night due to the holiday, but four repeats on New Year's Eve did only prelim 3.36 million, 2.93 million, 2.55 million, and 2.45 million...going down each half-hour.
- Better off Ted (ABC) 2 episodes - The show was all-new after the Rose Bowl in the east/central, but it followed local programming in mountain/pacific. The episode did a prelim 5.62 million and a 1.7 18-49, but this is not final. ABC was off by 10 minutes in the east/central due to the Rose Bowl, so Ted started at 8:40pm. A repeat at 9:40pm only did a prelim 2.74 million.
- Scrubs (ABC) - An all-new episode at 9:10pm did only a prelim 3.53 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating...but some of that is a Ted repeat, since the episode ended at 9:40pm in the east/central. Wait until the finals for a better report on these. Stay tuned for finals for this past week on our message board as usual.
Airing tonight (Sunday) on Fox are new episodes of animated comedies from 8-10pm tonight following NFL action.
Summing it up. Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory repeats were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as How I Met Your Mother, Old Christine) or just plain old terrible (such as Better off Ted, Community, Parks & Recreation, Brothers).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, March 3
Fresh Off the Boat - "Showdown at the Golden Saddle" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Things are looking up for the Huangs when Louis gets the restaurant a billboard in a prime spot in Orlando. They even get an invite to the country club. But when someone repeatedly vandalizes the billboard, they’re left wondering why. Eddie works hard to get the attention of the girl he’s crushing on (Luna Blaise as Nicole), but it doesn’t help matters when his mom hires her to babysit him.
New Girl - "Walk of Shame" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
After a night of partying at Bearclaw’s (guest star Josh Gad), Jess and Cece make their way back to the loft and run into a familiar face. Meanwhile, Coach worries about bringing Nick and Winston around his sophisticated new girlfriend, May (guest star Meaghan Rath).
The Mindy Project - "Fertility Bites" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Mindy’s fertility clinic opens. But with zero track record in the fertility field, attracting new patients is tougher than she imagined. Meanwhile, at Shulman & Associates, the nurses try to raise money for obese nurses while trying to get to know Dr. Bergdahl.
Cougar Town - "Two Men Talking" TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Fearing that her dad, Chick, is lonely, Jules tries to set him up with Grayson as a best friend. Laurie helps Andy fit in with a cool mom group and Travis and Ellie open up to each other in the Winebulance.
Sirens - "Let Pytons Be Pythons" (USA Network, 10:00PM ET/PT)
A car crash at a firehouse releases an unusual passenger; Billy accompanies Theresa and Maeve to a sample sale.
Tuesday, March 3
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Catch Tom on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Bridgit Mendler (Undateable/Good Luck Charlie/Wizards of Waverly Place) - Bridgit is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Angela Kinsey (The Hotwives of Orlando/The Office) - Angela appears on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- J.B. Smoove (The Millers/'Til Death/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - J.B. talks about the new season of Four Courses with J.B. Smoove and MSG's Garden of Laughs comedy show on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kendra C. Johnson (Tyler Perry's Love Thy Neighbor) - Kendra stops by The Real, so check your local listings.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Robbie Amell (1600 Penn/True Jackson, VP/Life with Derek) - Robbie talks about The Flash and The Duff on The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Larry talks about Fish in the Dark on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Jeremy Sisto (Suburgatory) - Jeremy talks about A&E's The Returned on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Forrest Wheeler and Ian Chen (Fresh Off the Boat) - Forrest and Ian talk about their new comedy series on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Ming-Na Wen (The Single Guy) - Ming-Na Wen will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Juliette Lewis (I Married Dora) - Juliette joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Molly Ringwald (Townies/The Facts of Life) - Molly talks about The Breakfast Club's 30th Anniversary on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour.
- Mo'Nique (The Parkers) - Mo'Nique is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.