Thursday, January 14, 2010
TCA Winter 2010 Press Tour: Cable Day 1; ABC Reportedly Launching Romantically Challenged Mondays Starting in April
Discovery Networks consisted of Discovery Channel, TLC, Planet Green, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, and Science Channel. Nothing of note for sitcom/TV fans here, but among the announcements were Discovery Channel's upcoming new series Life. While its award-winning and record-shattering predecessor, Planet Earth, provided the ultimate portrait of our planet, the 11-part series Life, narrated by Oprah Winfrey, is the definitive exploration of the adaptability and diversity of life on earth. Life tells astounding stories of the world's most spectacular, bizarre and fascinating behaviors, many of which were captured for the first time ever. The series premieres in late March on Discovery Channel.
Then BET is up. They were promoting its upcoming reality series The Family Crews, premiering Feb. 21. The Family Crews is a half-hour episodic reality series about Terry Crews and his amazing family. In reality, Terry's a former professional football player turned successful Hollywood actor. But, he's not your typical athlete or movie star. He's a family man who has been married to his wonderful wife, Rebecca, for 20 years this year. Together, they have five children, ranging from ages 3 to 22 years old. In the series, Terry will begin the process of transitioning from Everybody Hates Chris to becoming a bonafide action star.
Then at lunch TV Guide Channel has a festive buffet luncheon, including special Red Carpet-themed desserts and non-alcoholic cocktails. They are promoting their off-network premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm. The series premieres on TV Guide Network March 10 and 11, 2010. Cheryl Hines (Cheryl David) discusses her role on one of the most ground-breaking shows on television, which has never before been seen on basic cable television. TV Guide Network's Red Carpet hosts Carrie Ann Inaba (Dancing with the Stars) and Chris Harrison (The Bachelor) join the luncheon festivities to kick-off Award Season 2010, as The Golden Globes airs this Sunday.
After lunch, the Travel Channel is up next announcing new series, America's Worst Driver, which takes viewers to America's most notorious driving cities where locals, nominated by their friends and family, will compete in various challenges, including obstacle courses and a destination challenge where their city streets become the drivers' worst nightmare.
HBO follows with many announcements. Among them are movie Temple Grandin starring Claire Danes premiering in February, Treme a new series coming in April starring Wendell Pierce, the special A Family Is A Family Is A Family: A Rosie O'Donnell Celebration launching Jan. 31, ten-part miniseries The Pacific from producers Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Gary Goetzman premiering in March, Al Pacino stars in the film You Don't Know Jack premiering in spring, and The Ricky Gervais Show premieres Feb. 19, an animated version of the record-breaking podcasting series, the 13-episode half-hour comedy series is voiced by Ricky Gervais himself.
The day ends with a reception with Discovery Networks, as 2010 marks the 25th anniversary of Discovery Communications. The company is hosting a cocktail party that will capture the spirit and evolution of Discovery's networks throughout the past 25 years, while highlighting elements of current programming through interactive experiences.
Stay with us tomorrow for day two of the cable portion of the winter press tour.
ABC has reportedly put upcoming midseason multi-camera sitcom Romantically Challenged starring Alyssa Milano, Kyle Bornheimer, and Kelly Stables on Mondays at 9:30pm starting April 5. This is not official yet, but advanced press listings show Dancing with the Stars being reduced to 90-minutes (8-9:30pm ET/PT) starting April 5 through and including May 17. That is 7 weeks and Romantically Challenged has a 7 episode order and is the only new sitcom left for ABC, so it makes sense. I think that is what will happen it seems. TheFutonCritic is among the outlets reporting this as well, but until ABC actually schedules it, it isn't official. So stay with us whenever ABC announces.
Is this a good slot for Romantically Challenged? When do you think it should air? Please head on over to Twitter to follow us and then tweet us (@SitcomsOnline) what your thoughts of this move is. Should it air on ABC Comedy Wednesday instead? Or is Mondays following Dancing the better slot despite going head-to-head vs. The Big Bang Theory on CBS (Note: Big Bang will not be on at 9:30 the night Romantically Challenged supposedly launches)? I think it should air on Wednesdays instead, but at 9:30pm or 10pm instead (Ugly Betty should be done with its episode order by the end of March) of 8pm where currently repeats are airing. Tweet us!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.