Thursday, January 14, 2010
TCA Winter 2010 Press Tour: Cable Day 1; ABC Reportedly Launching Romantically Challenged Mondays Starting in April
Discovery Networks consisted of Discovery Channel, TLC, Planet Green, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, and Science Channel. Nothing of note for sitcom/TV fans here, but among the announcements were Discovery Channel's upcoming new series Life. While its award-winning and record-shattering predecessor, Planet Earth, provided the ultimate portrait of our planet, the 11-part series Life, narrated by Oprah Winfrey, is the definitive exploration of the adaptability and diversity of life on earth. Life tells astounding stories of the world's most spectacular, bizarre and fascinating behaviors, many of which were captured for the first time ever. The series premieres in late March on Discovery Channel.
Then BET is up. They were promoting its upcoming reality series The Family Crews, premiering Feb. 21. The Family Crews is a half-hour episodic reality series about Terry Crews and his amazing family. In reality, Terry's a former professional football player turned successful Hollywood actor. But, he's not your typical athlete or movie star. He's a family man who has been married to his wonderful wife, Rebecca, for 20 years this year. Together, they have five children, ranging from ages 3 to 22 years old. In the series, Terry will begin the process of transitioning from Everybody Hates Chris to becoming a bonafide action star.
Then at lunch TV Guide Channel has a festive buffet luncheon, including special Red Carpet-themed desserts and non-alcoholic cocktails. They are promoting their off-network premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm. The series premieres on TV Guide Network March 10 and 11, 2010. Cheryl Hines (Cheryl David) discusses her role on one of the most ground-breaking shows on television, which has never before been seen on basic cable television. TV Guide Network's Red Carpet hosts Carrie Ann Inaba (Dancing with the Stars) and Chris Harrison (The Bachelor) join the luncheon festivities to kick-off Award Season 2010, as The Golden Globes airs this Sunday.
After lunch, the Travel Channel is up next announcing new series, America's Worst Driver, which takes viewers to America's most notorious driving cities where locals, nominated by their friends and family, will compete in various challenges, including obstacle courses and a destination challenge where their city streets become the drivers' worst nightmare.
HBO follows with many announcements. Among them are movie Temple Grandin starring Claire Danes premiering in February, Treme a new series coming in April starring Wendell Pierce, the special A Family Is A Family Is A Family: A Rosie O'Donnell Celebration launching Jan. 31, ten-part miniseries The Pacific from producers Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Gary Goetzman premiering in March, Al Pacino stars in the film You Don't Know Jack premiering in spring, and The Ricky Gervais Show premieres Feb. 19, an animated version of the record-breaking podcasting series, the 13-episode half-hour comedy series is voiced by Ricky Gervais himself.
The day ends with a reception with Discovery Networks, as 2010 marks the 25th anniversary of Discovery Communications. The company is hosting a cocktail party that will capture the spirit and evolution of Discovery's networks throughout the past 25 years, while highlighting elements of current programming through interactive experiences.
Stay with us tomorrow for day two of the cable portion of the winter press tour.
ABC has reportedly put upcoming midseason multi-camera sitcom Romantically Challenged starring Alyssa Milano, Kyle Bornheimer, and Kelly Stables on Mondays at 9:30pm starting April 5. This is not official yet, but advanced press listings show Dancing with the Stars being reduced to 90-minutes (8-9:30pm ET/PT) starting April 5 through and including May 17. That is 7 weeks and Romantically Challenged has a 7 episode order and is the only new sitcom left for ABC, so it makes sense. I think that is what will happen it seems. TheFutonCritic is among the outlets reporting this as well, but until ABC actually schedules it, it isn't official. So stay with us whenever ABC announces.
Is this a good slot for Romantically Challenged? When do you think it should air? Please head on over to Twitter to follow us and then tweet us (@SitcomsOnline) what your thoughts of this move is. Should it air on ABC Comedy Wednesday instead? Or is Mondays following Dancing the better slot despite going head-to-head vs. The Big Bang Theory on CBS (Note: Big Bang will not be on at 9:30 the night Romantically Challenged supposedly launches)? I think it should air on Wednesdays instead, but at 9:30pm or 10pm instead (Ugly Betty should be done with its episode order by the end of March) of 8pm where currently repeats are airing. Tweet us!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.