Friday, January 08, 2010
CBS Scripted Series Mid-Season 2010 Schedule Updates; NBC Fiasco; Fox Pulls New Reality Show Before Airing
Miami Medical, about a team of expert surgeons who thrive on the adrenaline rush of working at one of the premiere trauma facilities in the country while drawing upon their wit and irreverence to survive on the edge, debuts Friday, April 2 at 10:00 PM, ET/PT for 13 episodes (as it seems it will go through the end of June). Miami Medical replaces NUMB3RS, which will have completed its season order of 16 episodes by then. NUMB3RS will wrap its season up on Friday, March 12 actually because of NCAA March Madness beginning Thursday, March 18 preempting Friday programming on March 19 and 26.
Rules of Engagement returns for its fourth season with 13 episodes starting on Monday, March 1 at 8:30PM, ET/PT, replacing Accidentally on Purpose. Accidentally on Purpose will continue to be broadcast on Mondays at 8:30 PM through February 22 before moving to its new night of Wednesdays at 8:30 PM, ET/PT beginning March 31 where it will be paired with Old Christine. Accidentally on Purpose has an 18 episode order, but will likely get more since it will be airing on a new night now and about 15 episodes will have already aired on Mondays before the move to Wednesdays. Accidentally on Purpose replaces Gary Unmarried, which will have also completed its season order of 17 episodes by then. Gary Unmarried will have its season finale on March 17, because a special Wednesday edition of Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains will air on March 24 from 8-9 PM because of NCAA March Madness on Thursday, March 25. I guess there will be no Survivor at all during the week of March 18.
CBS is up tomorrow at the 2010 TCA Winter Press Tour, so more to come I'm sure. Check back with us tomorrow with a special Saturday edition of news out of the winter press tour. Broadcast is up first from Jan. 9-12, followed by cable from Jan. 14-16.
Speaking of that winter press tour, I'm sure we will find out what is going on with this stupid and crazy NBC fiasco. Reports are that The Jay Leno Show is being canned from primetime and will move to 11:35pm ET/PT. This ongoing NBC craziness just gets worse and worse. I told you this was a bad idea in the first place back when they announced this show for primetime. Now NBC is sending damaged goods to lead off their late night? Nightline and Letterman will beat Leno in the ratings I'm sure if this happens, just like how they are beating the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. NBC just makes things worse and worse. Now if this happens what to do they at 10pm? Probably Dateline and other filler inexpensive programming since they have no scripted programming whatsoever available (besides Parenthood, which has already been scheduled for Mondays at 9 in March). The move is set to happen in March after the Olympics. It looks like Leno will be a half hour leading into Conan moving to 12am and Fallon moving to 1am. Carson Daly will probably be canned. He was always in repeats anyway and no one cares about that show. Stay with us, because none of this is official. But with NBC anything stupid is possible. They are no longer a serious network and haven't been for some years now. NBC is up at the TCA Winter Press Tour on Sunday morning, so it will be announced then if not earlier. Stay with us.
One other network note, Fox has announced that new reality series Our Little Genius will not premiere Wednesday, Jan. 13, as previously announced. The series was set to get a sneak peek this coming Wednesday after Idol, before moving to Tuesdays at 9 the following week after the Tuesday edition of Idol. Why is Fox pulling it? Creator Mark Burnett says the following:
"I recently discovered that there was an issue with how some information was relayed to contestants during the pre-production of Our Little Genius. As a result, I am not comfortable delivering the episodes without re-shooting them. I believe my series must always be beyond reproach, so I have requested that Fox not air these episodes."
So what now? Fox will air an encore of the 450th episode of The Simpsons on Wednesday, Jan. 13 at 9:30 PM ET/PT (it premieres Sunday, Jan. 10 at 8) following a special extended episode of American Idol from 8:00-9:30 PM ET/PT. It was previously scheduled for a 75-minute episode. On Tuesday, Jan. 19, Fox will air an encore of the pilot episode of the new action-drama series Human Target at 9:00 PM ET/PT following American Idol. As mentioned, Human Target gets a special Sunday launch two days prior on Sunday, Jan. 17 at 8:00PM. It regularly will air Wednesdays at 8:00PM starting Jan. 27, but on Wednesday, Jan. 20 it will air at 9:00PM. Further scheduling information will be announced soon for Tuesdays at 9:00 PM.
Come on back tomorrow we will cover the first day of the 2010 TCA Winter Press Tour. CBS is up first along with The CW (and Showtime). On Sunday we will cover NBC's craziness and its cable entities (Bravo, Oxygen, Syfy, and USA). Fox is up on Monday and ABC closes the broadcast portion out on Tuesday. Cable follows from Thursday to next Saturday. Stay with us as always!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.