Saturday, April 18, 2009
Snoopy's Reunion - Remastered Deluxe Edition (Warner, $19.98) brings us the 1991 CBS special on DVD digitally remastered...and it is really worth it! Plus in addition to the Snoopy's Reunion special, we also get It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown, a 1984 CBS special that is also about Snoopy primarily.
The Snoopy's Reunion special starts off with flashbacks on how Charlie Brown got Snoopy from Daisy Hill Puppy Farm. Now it has been one year since Snoopy saw his beagle family. He gets to see his siblings Spike, Andy, Olaf, Marbles, Belle, Molly and Rover as well return to see Daisy Hill Puppy Farm. In the Flashbeagle special, it's break-dancing time for the gang! Totally '80s! Some find the dancing difficult like Linus, but it of course comes very easy to Snoopy, the fleet-footed flashbeagle!
Let's now move on to the packaging. Like all the previous sets, we have a thin outer box that holds a very thin case, that is movie style. I never understood the reason for the thin box that holds a thin case...what's the point? It doesn't need protection. Also, both the back and front of each are exactly the same, except the box is shinier. The cover art is red-orange in color, and has a shot of Snoopy with his siblings playing in a band. The title of the special is on the top, with a mention that this is a remastered deluxe edition on top of that! The bottom tells us we also get a bonus TV special (It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown). To the back we go, we get a nice synopsis of the Snoopy's Reunion special, along with a list of the special features below that. The back is also in red-orange in color with artwork of Snoopy and Charlie Brown greeting Spike. When we open the case, we get black background all over, very plain, but of course the disc is inside. The disc is in red-orange color and has artwork of Snoopy playing an instrument.
The menu screen has options of Features, Special Features, and Languages. We get that red-orange background again, with the theme song playing in the background. We also have the same artwork as the cover art with the garage band. Anyway back to the menu, for Languages, we can have either English or Japanese. For subtitles we have those two again and also French, Korean and Thai...wow! But no Espanol for either? The Features section has the two specials listed, we can also select Play All to play both back-to-back. Finally, Special Features lists the extra (more on that below) and Trailers.
The video and audio is tremendous once again. These specials are all so good. They have never looked better or sounded better ever. I am very impressed yet again; what more can I continue to say about these digitally remastered sets?. Warner continues to do a great job on this remastering of all these classic specials. Snoopy's Reunion special runs 23:13 and has 4 chapter stops, which you an use via your DVD remote. The Flashbeagle special runs 24:18 and has 5 chapter stops.
As for special features, we get a nice featurette! It is titled "Together Again: A Peanuts Voice-Cast Reunion" and runs 9:49. Some of the actors who have voiced these beloved characters over the years were reunited at ComicCon 2008. This is very neat to see how they look and more importantly, sound now. Interviewed and seen are Lee Mendelson, Peter Robbins, Sally Dryer, Chris DeFaria, Jason Mendelson, Gabrielle DeFaria Ritter, Hilary Momberger, and Robin Kohn Glazer. We also get Trailers from other Warner animation titles (Follow That Bird, Charlie Brown Valentine and Easter), which some also are auto-played before the main menu starts.
I once again highly do recommend this set for any Charlie Brown-Peanuts fan and classic animation in general. Snoopy shines here! There are many fans of Snoopy out there, and this special is truly all about him. There is no Charlie Brown in the title, which is very rare for a Peanuts special. Warner continues to do a wonderful job with the remastering and the behind the scenes extras of each special. Let's hope they continue to release more Peanuts specials and eventually we get them all remastered in our personal libraries! So reunite yourself with this DVD on your couch and then you can also break-dance as well!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Charlie Brown Official Page
Charlie Brown Specials
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.