Saturday, April 18, 2009
Snoopy's Reunion - Remastered Deluxe Edition (Warner, $19.98) brings us the 1991 CBS special on DVD digitally remastered...and it is really worth it! Plus in addition to the Snoopy's Reunion special, we also get It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown, a 1984 CBS special that is also about Snoopy primarily.
The Snoopy's Reunion special starts off with flashbacks on how Charlie Brown got Snoopy from Daisy Hill Puppy Farm. Now it has been one year since Snoopy saw his beagle family. He gets to see his siblings Spike, Andy, Olaf, Marbles, Belle, Molly and Rover as well return to see Daisy Hill Puppy Farm. In the Flashbeagle special, it's break-dancing time for the gang! Totally '80s! Some find the dancing difficult like Linus, but it of course comes very easy to Snoopy, the fleet-footed flashbeagle!
Let's now move on to the packaging. Like all the previous sets, we have a thin outer box that holds a very thin case, that is movie style. I never understood the reason for the thin box that holds a thin case...what's the point? It doesn't need protection. Also, both the back and front of each are exactly the same, except the box is shinier. The cover art is red-orange in color, and has a shot of Snoopy with his siblings playing in a band. The title of the special is on the top, with a mention that this is a remastered deluxe edition on top of that! The bottom tells us we also get a bonus TV special (It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown). To the back we go, we get a nice synopsis of the Snoopy's Reunion special, along with a list of the special features below that. The back is also in red-orange in color with artwork of Snoopy and Charlie Brown greeting Spike. When we open the case, we get black background all over, very plain, but of course the disc is inside. The disc is in red-orange color and has artwork of Snoopy playing an instrument.
The menu screen has options of Features, Special Features, and Languages. We get that red-orange background again, with the theme song playing in the background. We also have the same artwork as the cover art with the garage band. Anyway back to the menu, for Languages, we can have either English or Japanese. For subtitles we have those two again and also French, Korean and Thai...wow! But no Espanol for either? The Features section has the two specials listed, we can also select Play All to play both back-to-back. Finally, Special Features lists the extra (more on that below) and Trailers.
The video and audio is tremendous once again. These specials are all so good. They have never looked better or sounded better ever. I am very impressed yet again; what more can I continue to say about these digitally remastered sets?. Warner continues to do a great job on this remastering of all these classic specials. Snoopy's Reunion special runs 23:13 and has 4 chapter stops, which you an use via your DVD remote. The Flashbeagle special runs 24:18 and has 5 chapter stops.
As for special features, we get a nice featurette! It is titled "Together Again: A Peanuts Voice-Cast Reunion" and runs 9:49. Some of the actors who have voiced these beloved characters over the years were reunited at ComicCon 2008. This is very neat to see how they look and more importantly, sound now. Interviewed and seen are Lee Mendelson, Peter Robbins, Sally Dryer, Chris DeFaria, Jason Mendelson, Gabrielle DeFaria Ritter, Hilary Momberger, and Robin Kohn Glazer. We also get Trailers from other Warner animation titles (Follow That Bird, Charlie Brown Valentine and Easter), which some also are auto-played before the main menu starts.
I once again highly do recommend this set for any Charlie Brown-Peanuts fan and classic animation in general. Snoopy shines here! There are many fans of Snoopy out there, and this special is truly all about him. There is no Charlie Brown in the title, which is very rare for a Peanuts special. Warner continues to do a wonderful job with the remastering and the behind the scenes extras of each special. Let's hope they continue to release more Peanuts specials and eventually we get them all remastered in our personal libraries! So reunite yourself with this DVD on your couch and then you can also break-dance as well!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Charlie Brown Official Page
Charlie Brown Specials
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.