Thursday, March 05, 2009
With the return of According to Jim, ABC will have comedy hours three nights a week in the 8-9pm hour from Tuesdays through Thursdays. Scrubs returns with new episodes and Better Off Ted launches Wednesdays starting March 18 in the 8pm hour, then Jim returns Tuesdays starting March 24, and Thursdays will see the launch of In the Motherhood and the return of Samantha Who? starting March 26.
According to Jim and Scrubs are both ending their runs after eight seasons a piece this season and ABC is trying to create a comedy block for next year, so the end of these two will provide a start. Both series will have their series finale on back-to-back nights (May 5 and May 6). Dancing with the Stars will probably give the comedies a good push for promotion, as the new Bob Saget sitcom Surviving Suburbia will premiere a few weeks later on Monday, April 6 at 9:30pm, giving ABC another comedy. ABC hasn't had this many sitcoms since like 2002 and 2003, when their promotion were called "ABC Happy Hour" and "Comedy Rules." For the sake of sitcoms, let's hope this works and I could certainly see a four-comedy night return to ABC next fall...with hopefully all traditional multi-camera sitcoms. Surviving Suburbia is a good start!
As for you Jim fans, here are the episode titles the first two weeks: March 24 - "The Ego Boost" and "The Yoga Bear." March 31 - "Kyle's Crush" and "The Meaningful Gift." Then jumping a month later on May 5, the series finale "Heaven Opposed to Hell" will have many guest stars! Kimberly Williams-Paisley returns and Dan Aykroyd, Erik Estrada, Lee Majors, and Mitch Rouse are among the guests who also return.
In a broadcast first, Glee, the new one-hour musical comedy series from Ryan Murphy, will get a special preview following American Idol's performance finale on Tuesday, May 19 from 9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT on Fox. The show will then premiere in the fall (date to be announced). So the series will get a special preview before returning about four months later. Will this work? It won't have an Idol lead-in in the fall, that's for sure. We shall see.
Glee is an uplifting series with biting humor that features a soundtrack of hit music from past to present, so it should blend well with American Idol.
But before Glee, Fox will hop aboard the "Crazy Train" when Ozzy, Sharon, Jack and Kelly Osbourne turn another television convention upside down and inside out with their new series Osbournes: Reloaded premiering after American Idol on Tuesday, March 31 from 9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT.
The variety series features audience interaction, rowdy comedy and hilarious stunts that will shock and amuse. Outrageous sensibility and brash humor are at the core of the series filmed on location and in front of a studio audience that never knows what to expect from the First Family of Rock. Following the premiere, Osbournes: Reloaded will return to the Fox schedule as a series of one-hour specials to air later in the season, as six episodes were ordered in all. So this means Fringe won't return until April 7. The creepy drama series has 7 episodes left from its 21 episode order and hasn't aired since Feb. 10. So with the Glee premiere and the preemption on March 31 for the Osbournes, the Fringe finale will likely air out of sweeps with no American Idol lead-in on May 26. And if Osbournes does very well, Fringe could be preempted more likely. So Fringe has to watch its back, as the show really hasn't done that well in the ratings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, April 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Cognition Regeneration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Leonard isn’t thrilled when Penny considers taking a new job offered by her ex-boyfriend, Zack (Brian Thomas Smith).
The Great Indoors - "The Heartbreaker" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack sets up a double date to get Eddie out of a post-divorce rut, but the night gets awkward when they run into Denise (Essence Atkins), Eddie’s ex-wife. Also, when Emma decides to breakup with her boyfriend, Greg (Andy Ridings), Clark is torn between making a move on her and salvaging his friendship with Greg.
Mom - "A Cricket and a Hedge Made of Gold" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Marjorie takes a break from the group, Bonnie becomes the go-to for everyone’s problems, and Christy tries to overcome a painful memory from her past.
Life in Pieces - "Ear Scorn Registry Manuscript" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen goes to Tim for help with an embarrassing ailment, she begs him not to tell the family. Also, Dougie (Fortune Feimster) enlists Joan to help her buy a gift for Matt and Colleen’s wedding; Heather gets jealous when her friends want to include Jen in their mommy group; and Professor Sinclair Wilde (Cary Elwes) encourages Joan to ask her family to read a draft of her book.
Superstore - "Ladies' Lunch" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
During the morning meeting, Glenn (Mark McKinney) accidentally tells the employees the real reason Amy (America Ferrera) has been late to work lately. Meanwhile, Dina (Lauren Ash) tries to cheer up Amy by kidnapping her for a "ladies' lunch." Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) invent a game to pass the time, tricking Glenn and Mateo (Nico Santos) in the process. Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) helps Amy take a fearless step with a dramatic new look.
Superstore - "Cheyenne's Wedding" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
It's Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) and Bo's (recurring guest star Johnny Pemberton) dream wedding, but not everything goes according to plan. Meanwhile, relationships unravel as Amy (America Ferrera) and Jonah (Ben Feldman) dodge relationship rumors. Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to change Jeff's (recurring guest star Michael Bunin) mind after learning of upcoming layoffs, Dina (Lauren Ash) talks her way into the wedding party and Mateo (Nico Santos) dodges Jeff throughout the wedding.
Thursday, April 27
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep/The New Adventures of Old Christine/Seinfeld) - Catch Julia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Benjamin Hickey (The Big C/It's All Relative) - John visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America chats about Superstore on NBC's Today in the 10am hour and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Geoff Stults (Enlisted) - Geoff is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Michael plays Pyramid on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Perrey Reeves (Entourage) - Perrey makes a kale salad on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Geena Davis (The Geena Davis Show/Buffalo Bill) - Geena talks about A League of Their Own on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna talks about Superior Donuts on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Christopher Meloni (Surviving Jack/The Fanelli Boys) - Christopher appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.