Wednesday, January 28, 2009
In other NATPE news, we have some cable news from the conference. style Network has acquired the exclusive off-network rights to Supernanny from Disney-ABC Domestic Television. style will get all five seasons of the reality series and will begin airing the reruns in Fall 2009. ABC has not yet announced if Supernanny will get a sixth season, but it is very likely.
A new premium cable channel will launch this fall. The new premium cable channel will be called epix. epix will be joint a venture between Paramount Pictures, MGM and Lionsgate. epix will make movies and entertainment accessible on multiple platforms. The network will combine new and classic feature films and original television series from studios including Paramount, MGM and Lionsgate. epix will have exclusive access to Paramount, Paramount Vantage, MTV Films and Nickelodeon Movies released theatrically on or after January 1, 2008 and MGM, United Artists and Lionsgate titles released theatrically on or after January 1, 2009. It will also have access to more than 15,000 motion picture titles spanning the studios' vast libraries and will feature new original television series and live event programming. Among the films they will air are The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Duchess, Iron Man, Cloverfield, Defiance, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, New in Town, The Spiderwick Chronicles and Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail. epix also will have the rights to all 17 re-mastered James Bond movies as well as Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It doesn't look like any classic TV or older TV series will air on this network.
Finally, Connection III Entertainment's weekend half-hour Made in Hollywood and Made in Hollywood: Teen Edition have been picked up by CBS owned-stations for first-run syndication in fall 2009. 21 markets have been bought. Made in Hollywood will enter its fifth season while spinoff Teen Edition will enter its fourth season. Made in Hollywood features set visits with directors, writer, producers and actors as they work on upcoming movies. The Teen Edition covers all that and also shows teens what kinds of jobs are available in the film industry and how to get them. In NY, Made in Hollywood already airs on WCBS, Saturdays at 3am, but the Teen Edition airs on WLNY, an independent station, Wednesdays at 9am.
ION Television will launch in high definition (HD) providing a fully enhanced HD simulcast of the newly rebranded "Positively Entertaining" network, beginning Monday, February 16. ION Television HD will initially roll out to 20 markets within ION's 55 market footprint – including top DMA's like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago – with additional roll-outs to occur throughout the year. The first phase of the ION TV HD launch will reach over 46 million households. ION Media Networks' digital TV brands, Qubo and ION Life, will also be launched across digital platforms in high definition later in 2009.
Viewers can look forward to a mix of compelling television series, theatrical and made-for-television movies and specials on ION Television HD. The ION Television network features hit programs from CBS Television, NBC Universal, RHI Entertainment, Sony Pictures Television, Twentieth Television and Warner Bros., among others.
ION Television in HD will be launched from its newly designed, state-of-the-art transmission platform via expanded satellite transponder capacity. That national distribution will then be delivered over-the-air via DTV broadcast, cable, telco-TV and satellite. The network will feature native and up-converted HD programming, and will be carried on all 60 of ION Media Network's television stations around the country.
View the full list of initial roll-out markets for ION HD and the list of markets launching later in 2009.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, July 29
Best Friends Whenever - "Derby Little Secret" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Cyd and Shelby watch roller derby against Astrid's wishes; they find out Shelby's mom has been lying.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets Ski Lodge Part 2" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the group's ski trip winding down, it becomes clear that it's time for Lucas to choose between Riley and Maya.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Love Thy Privacy" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Sam is compelled to reveal the true nature surrounding his lack of maturity.
Friday, July 29
- Kristen Bell (House of Lies) - Watch Kristen on repeats of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC and on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Dave Franco (Scrubs/Do Not Disturb) - Dave appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show/Family Guy) - Mila is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Married with Children) - Christina chats on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Fuller House/Full House) - Candace surprises a real family who have the same story as the Tanners on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Jake Paul (Bizaardvark) - Jake appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kevin Hart (The Big House/Undeclared) - Kevin will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Judy Reyes (Scrubs) - Judy is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.