Tuesday, October 07, 2008
More Slots for Boston Legal on ION This Week; ABC.com Goes Retro on Thursday; Upcoming Seven Questions Preview
In other changes, it seems Flash Gordon on Fridays isn't doing well, as yet again a Warner Bros. movie will air Friday from 7-9pm this week. Above the Law (1988) will air leading into an RHI movie (Tornado) at 9pm. Flash Gordon has been preempted for the last few weeks (last week ION aired a Warner movie marathon from 4-10:30pm), but as of now, it is scheduled for next Friday.
I thought this was worth mentioning as we have a big following for retro stuff here at SitcomsOnline.com. Beginning Thursday, October 9, the home page of ABC.com will give a nod to 1973 with a retro main page for the premiere of the new drama, Life on Mars (launching that night at 10PM ET/PT). The home page will offer the same categories (schedule, shows, community, full episode player, etc.) but in the signature monochromatic green font, popular to DOS in the 70s. After clicking on their desired section, users will be transported back to the ABC.com of 2008.
Additionally on the Life on Mars section you will see the songs of 1973. Get down with streaming songs on the 1973 Radio Player. The selections will include album cover art, song title and album title.
Where were you in 1973? NYPD Detective Sam Tyler (Jason O'Mara) finds himself in the cultural hotbed of New York City in the tumultuous times of the Vietnam War, Watergate, women's lib and the civil and gay rights movements without a cell phone, computer, PDA or MP3 player -- suddenly hurtled back in time when he's ripped from 2008 after being hit by a car while chasing down a criminal. He's trying mightily to understand what has just happened to him and how he can get back "home." In her return to series television, Lisa Bonet (Cosby Show) has a supporting role. The all-star cast also includes Harvey Keitel as Lieutenant Gene Hunt, Michael Imperioli as Detective Ray Carling, Gretchen Mol as Annie Norris and Jonathan Murphy as Detective Chris Skelton.
I have watched the premiere and I must say they do a great job of recreating 1973. It looks so retro but has the 2008 look to it. Fans of the great cop shows of the past will want to tune in and fans of cop shows of today, especially funny ones, will want to tune in. It has gotten good reviews and is worth checking out this Thursday at 10/9 central on ABC.
We are working on quite a bit of upcoming Seven Questions interviews. Seven Questions is of course our on-going interview series where we talk to a network or a star and ask them, well...seven questions. We try to ask the most interesting questions that cater to you all...sitcoms, classic TV, and programming. We have interviewed networks like RTN, AmericanLife, ION Television and stars like Alf Clausen in the past, with more coming very soon. First up will be WGN America later this week! You'll want to read this if you are a fan of classic TV and WGN America has brought classic TV back, as we all know! Also in the works (if everything works out): TV Land, Nick at Nite, Too Close for Comfort star Lydia Cornell, and author Chris Mann (Retroality.TV)!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 23
Superstore - "Mateo's Last Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mateo (Nico Santos) faces complications with his transfer to a Cloud 9 Signature store, he becomes desperate to resolve his undocumented status. Meanwhile, Amy (America Ferrera) helps Glenn (Mark McKinney) battle an Internet troll, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) try to give Mateo legal counsel, and Dina (Lauren Ash) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) take issue with corporate.
Powerless - "I'm a Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Baskets - "Circus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Christine turns to Arby's after Chip joins the Russians.
Thursday, March 23
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Stephanie is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nick D'Agosto (Trial & Error) - Nick is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody talks about Wilson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Woody and Laura Dern will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.