Thursday, October 16, 2008
It's time for more wheelings and dealings...it's network notes! CBS has given a full season order to its new drama The Mentalist, the season's top new freshman series in viewers and adults 25-54 so far. No surprise.
The Mentalist is averaging 16.14 million viewers (No. 7 among all primetime programs), 5.3/12 in adults 25-54 and 3.8/9 in adults 18-49. The series stars Golden Globe Award nominee Simon Baker as Patrick Jane, an independent consultant with the California Bureau of Investigation (CBI), who has a remarkable track record for solving serious crimes by using his razor sharp skills of observation. The series joins Fringe and 90210 for full season orders for rookie series.
Meanwhile, NBC's veteran drama Medium returns sometime this mid-season (or earlier I bet) and NBC has ordered three additional episodes. Last season the show had 16 episodes, so we are not sure what the original episode order was for this year. Could be 13 or 16 and you can tack on three more for Patricia Arquette's series.
ABC's Eli Stone will have 4 more episodes this season as well. The show was ordered for 13 episodes in its second season, so you can tack on four more to that at least, pending the ratings being decent enough. ABC has been pleased with the quality and direction so far, thus their decision in adding four more. And if you haven't seen the season premiere yet, you missed out on an excellent season premiere with guest Sigourney Weaver. Catch it on abc.com if you missed it and don't forget to tune in for the second episode this Tuesday at 10PM ET, with special guest star Katie Holmes! As I said before, I saw this episode already from a review screener and she is excellent. Gina Torres and Katey Sagal also guest star. Have faith in Eli!
Finally, it seems that Fox will also air the half-hour political ad from Presidential Candidate Barack Obama on Wednesday, October 29. CBS and NBC have already signed on to air it. However, Major League Baseball would have to push back the start of game six of the World Series, if necessary, so Fox can air the Obama. The game was scheduled to have first pitch at 8:20pm, but Fox and MLB could move it to 8:35pm if necessary. ABC is in discussions as well to air it, but maybe on a different night like Tuesday instead, since they air an hour-long sow (Pushing Daisies) in the time period. CBS has two half-hour sitcoms and will preempt Gary Unmarried on the night and shift Old Christine to 8:30 for this night. NBC will preempt Knight Rider altogether and air a TBD show at 8:30.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)
10/06 - Bewitched - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Grace Under Fire - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Happyish - Season One
10/06 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/06 - Party Down - The Complete Series
10/06 - South Park - The Complete Eighteenth Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - C.P.O. Sharkey - Mr. Warmth: The Ultimate Don Rickles TV Collection
10/20 - The Facts of Life - Season Seven
10/20- King of the Hill - The Complete 13th Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - My Favorite Martian - The Complete Series
10/20 - Nurse Jackie - Season Seven ((Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 9
Last Man Standing - "Ping-pong" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Vanessa tries to educate Eve on why she should be more on board with having a woman president. Meanwhile, after Ed mentions to Mike that he hasn’t seen his own daughter for years, Mike and Mandy try to figure out what they have in common.
Dr. Ken - "The Seminar" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the office celebrates a promotion for Clark, Ken is oblivious since he lives in his own world...it's the last straw for Clark dealing with Ken's selfish ways. Clark writes a fake complaint comment card about Ken, so he's forced to attend a training seminar for better bedside manners, which leaves Allison at home to have dinner with Ken's parents.
Undataeable - "A Will They Walks Into a Bar" / "A Won't They Walks Into a Bar" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Danny (Chris D'Elia) decides to interfere as Justin (Brent Morin) and Candace (Bridgit Mendler) are on the verge of making things official. Burski (Rick Glassman) surprises everyone that when he announces he has a girlfriend. Meanwhile, Leslie (Bianca Kajlich) decides it's time to change up her look.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets Rah Rah" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley really wants to be a cheerleader; when the tryouts begin, she's determined to make the squad.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "The Results" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Angela's mammogram results are in; she stresses out all day.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Richard's Break" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Keisha brings a man to C-Sports while Richard is working late; Richard loses his head.
Friday, October 9
- Whoopi Goldberg (Whoopi/Bagdad Cafe) - Watch Whoopi on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ravi Patel (Grandfathered) - Ravi appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Judy Greer (Married/Mad Love/Miss Guided) - Judy is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ted Danson (Cheers/Becker) - Ted appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim discusses the second season of Madam Secretary on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin is in the house on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso takes the AOL BUILD stage to discuss his new gig as the host of the hit ABC series America’s Funniest Home Videos on the AOL Build Show. He will also be on HuffPost Live at 3pm.
- Malin Akerman (Sin City Saints/Trophy Wife) - Malin talks about Final Girls on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Mario Cantone (Sex and the City) - Raven-Symone takes on Mario in a soul food cook-off on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Maura Tierney (NewsRadio) - Maura is a guest on People Now.
- Fran Drescher (The Nanny/Happily Divorced) - Fran chats on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- The Cast of Dr. Ken - Ken Jeong, Tisha Campbell-Martin, Dave Foley and Suzy Nakamura are guests on The Real, so check your local listings.