Sunday, September 07, 2008
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 25-31)
- 'Til Death (Fox) 2 episodes - Just 1.67 and 1.9 million for two repeats...up from recent weeks but still not good.
- The Simpsons (Fox) - Only 3.3 million for a repeat in its 8pm slot.
- King of the Hill (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) - 3.82 million for a repeat...seems lower than normal.
- American Dad! (Fox) 2 episodes - 3.23 and 3.08 million for two repeats at 8:30 and 9:30.
- Everybody Hates Chris (The CW) - 730,000 viewers this week for a repeat...no more repeats in this slot.
- Aliens in America (The CW) - 600,000 viewers for a repeat...its last network airing.
- The Game (The CW) - 710,000 viewers for a repeat, also its last repeat in this slot.
- Girlfriends (The CW) - 770,000 viewers for a repeat, most likely its last broadcast on The CW.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - 4.74 million for a repeat...not that bad for Labor Day.
- How I Met Your Mother
(CBS) - 4.75 million for a repeat airing and it built from the lead-in by a hair.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 7.83 million for a repeat, below normal but it was Labor Day.
- Old Christine (CBS) - 5.95 million for a repeat.
- Samantha Who? (ABC) - 2.12 million for the repeat of the final two episodes from season one.
- None...watch Wipeout on ABC, very funny show that is not a sitcom. Two ALL-NEW episodes from 8-10pm...laugh away!
Old Christine (CBS) - Repeat airing on a special night at 9:30pm following the CBS Fall Preview special didn't do much...less than 3 million in prelim numbers.
Tonight you can catch encores Fox's animated comedies from 8:30-10 tonight only.
Coming Week Preview (Summer Week 16) for Broadcast (With Some Cable Notes):
So what is new or notable this week that you might want to catch? Tonight CBS will have Big Brother at 8pm out of a new 60 Minutes at 7pm. NBC will air the first Sunday Night Football game of the year. Fox will launch new game show Hole in the Wall at 8pm following the conclusion of the 4pm NFL game. ABC has a two-hour special supporting our troops from 9-11pm titled America United: In Support of Our Troops. Cable wise, go with Lifetime's Army Wives at 10pm, ABC Family's last part of the mini-series Samurai Girl at 8pm and Mad Men on AMC at 10pm with the VMA Awards on MTV. Notice the nights are getting better now as the new season nears.
On Monday, ABC will have the finale of High School Musical: Get in the Picture at 8pm followed by the CMA: Music Festival from 9-11pm. NBC has an all-new night as well with Deal or No Deal, America's Toughest Jobs, and Dateline. Fox and The CW have their regular season line-ups started with Fox having the season premiere of Sarah Connor Chronicles and an all-new Prison Break. The CW has all-new episodes of Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill. Cable wise it will be The Closer and Raising the Bar on TNT from 9-11pm. VH1 has more new reality series such as I Want to Work for Diddy, while MTV has The Hills. And Monday Night Football returns on ESPN!
On Tuesday ABC's Wipeout is all new with not one episode, but two episodes...double the fun from 8-10pm followed by an all-new Primetime: Medical Mysteries. NBC has a two-hour America's Got Talent from 8-10, which has gone down since the Olympics ended. And the Tuesday edition of Big Brother airs at a special time of 8pm on CBS because they have the special Fashion Rocks from 9-11pm. Fox launches new drama Fringe with a 95-minute premiere followed by a second preview episode of Hole in the Wall at 9:35pm...I think the new JJ Abrams drama will premiere decently but will fall off a bit when the season starts, it'll be no Lost. And The CW has an all-new 90210, can it keep up the ratings momentum? Followed by the series premiere of Privileged. MNT is even new with Street Patrol and Jail. Wow...best night since the end of last season! Cable wise ABC Family's Secret Life of an American Teenager at 8pm and Greek at 9pm, Sci Fi has Eureka at 9, and at 10pm on Lifetime it is How To Look Good Naked.
On Wednesday NBC has another two-hour America's Got Talent from 8-10pm. CBS has Greatest American Dog finale at 8pm. ABC will be new at 10pm with the special 20/20: They're Not Like Us. And Fox has an all-new Bones at 8pm followed by the season premiere of sitcom 'Til Death at 9 and series premiere of sitcom Do Not Disturb...hope you saw our review on Friday. The CW has an all-new America's Next Top Model at 8. Cable wise Bravo has Project Runway and Top Design starting at 9pm.
On Thursday Fox has the time period premiere of Hole in the Wall followed by an all-new Kitchen Nightmares, which got off to a slow start last week. CBS at 8pm has Big Brother and another episode of the summer scripted series Flashpoint at 10pm, which is doing decent. And NBC has yet another America's Got Talent episode, this time the half-hour results at 8:30pm. Pretty quiet night. On cable, USA Network has Burn Notice at 10pm, VH1 has more reality shows.
On Friday, NBC will have a two-hour Dateline from 9-11. ABC will have the 2008 Alma Awards from 8-10 and of course will have 20/20. WWE Smackdown is on The CW. Fox has all-new episodes of 5th Grader and Don't Forget the Lyrics! Cable wise, Monk & Psych on USA from 9-11 and Stargate Atlantis on Sci Fi at 10pm.
Saturday will have Cops and AMW on Fox, two-hour 48 Hours on CBS from 9-11, and the USC-Ohio State College Football game on ABC.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, January 17
The Middle - "Pitch Imperfect" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Axl begins to panic when he realizes that he only has four months of college left before he graduates, and he hasn’t sent out any job resumes – something he should have started when he was a junior. Meanwhile, Brad agrees to lead Sue’s no-cut a cappella group as they enter a music competition, and Brick desperately asks for Frankie and Mike’s advice when girlfriend Cindy tells him that he reads too much, and if he doesn’t stop, she’ll break up with him.
American Housewife - "Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Oliver tells his parents that he’s so embarrassed by their modest house that he’d rather not have a birthday party at all. Katie decides to teach him a lesson by ambushing him with a surprise party at home with all his wealthy friends.
Fresh Off the Boat - "The Best of Orlando" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Louis is named “Small Businessman of the Year,” Jessica is overflowing with pride and invites everyone they know to join them at the awards ceremony. But when Louis forgets to thank Jessica during his acceptance speech, he suffers the repercussions at home. Meanwhile, Eddie, Emery and Grandma start their own clothing line and quickly discover the challenges of running their own small business.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Acceptance" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Kenny and Brett officially become a couple, Kenny starts to think of plan on how he should break the news to his parents. Meanwhile, Jimmy surprises everyone when he scores a high SAT score, forcing Eileen to hold up her end of a deal that she had previously made and takes Jimmy car shopping.
New Girl - "Cece's Boys" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jess tries to find a new vice principal, she discovers that she has a real problem when it comes to making decisions. Meanwhile, Cece enlists Jess and Reagan to help her recruit new models, and the guys are in for a surprise when they enjoy a day at the spa.
The Mick - "The Fire" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Mickey tries to quit smoking. Meanwhile, Ben meets a new friend.
Teachers - "First Day Back" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
As the teachers return from summer break, Ms. Watson tries an ultra premium online dating service and Ms. Snap learns that she’s been given the worst group of kids in school. Mrs. Adler is assigned to a mobile classroom.
Tuesday, January 17
- Katy Mixon (American Housewife/Mike & Molly) - Catch Katy on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Billy Eichner (Difficult People) - Billy is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Patrick Warburton (Crowded/Rules of Engagement/Less Than Perfect) - Patrick stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York.
- Anders Holm (Workaholics) - Anders is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rory Scovel (Ground Floor) - Rory appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Louie Anderson (Baskets/Life with Louie/The Louie Show) - Louie drops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/Sparks) - Kym visits Cleveland on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.