Thursday, August 28, 2008
BET September Programming Includes Smart Guy; 5 More RTN Stations to Launch in Early 2009; Network Notes
BET will launch Smart Guy on Saturday, September 6 with a marathon of the first 10 episodes from 11am-4pm before moving to its regular airing of weekdays at 5:00pm & 5:30pm ET/PT after The Steve Harvey Show starting Monday, September 8.
Other BET portions of the schedule will include Girlfriends airing from 9-10am weekdays starting September 1 and starting September 22 BET will launch Judge Karen at 10am and Judge Hatchett at 10:30am. Back-to-back Hell Date will air in the 11am hour, as the morning "Blackbuster" 10am-12pm movie will be gone. Steve Harvey and Smart Guy round out the daytime weekday series schedule from 4-6pm. Music and rap programming will primarily air elsewhere weekdays, however 11pm and 11:30pm will now will be Judge Karen and Judge Hatchett as well starting Sept. 22. The midnight "Blackbuster" movie follows, as A Different World will now only air sometimes in the 3am hour.
As for weekends, there will be no changes until the weekend of Sept. 27 when Romeo! shifts from the 11am hour to the 9am hour, while Just Jordan remains in the 10am hour, and two hours of Smart Guy airs from 11am-1pm starting Sept. 27 on Saturdays. On Sundays, starting Sept. 28, Judge Karen will air from 1-2pm, no other changes will be made.
Stunts for the month include a marathon of sister station TV Land's original series Family Foreman starring George Foreman on Sunday, Sept. 14 from 1-4pm featuring all six episodes.
Check out the generic BET September Fall 2008 schedule, if you want to see it in a list form.
Retro Television Network (RTN) announced that it has entered into an agreement with New Age Media to launch RTN affiliates in five new markets.
The new affiliates will air on digital streams of WQMY in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania; WPXT in Portland, Maine; WTLH in Tallahassee, Florida; analog station WYPN-CA in Gainesville, Florida; and a new television station in Columbus/Tupelo, Mississippi. The RTN affiliations are anticipated to sign on in early 2009.
These are the first announcements of new RTN affiliates since RTN was sold to Luken Communications...but the first of many to come, so stay tuned!
It's time for another round of network notes! NBC has announced it has picked up nine additional episodes of its sophomore drama Chuck (Mondays, 8-9 p.m. ET) to provide the series with a full-season 22-episode order for 2008-09. The new season launches Monday, September 29.
Fox has announced that Hole in the Wall, the body-bending, global game show, will now air a special preview episode on Sunday, Sept. 7 from 8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT following Fox's first NFL doubleheader of the season and as previously announced on Tuesday, Sept. 9 from 9:35-10:00 PM ET/PT following the series premiere of Fringe on FOX. Hole in the Wall will have its one-hour series premiere Thursday, Sept. 11 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on Fox and will air in that slot thereafter. Fox has still not announced what will air Sunday, Sept. 14 from 9:35-10pm following the Fringe pilot encore.
And finally, like I predicted, the season finale of ABC's High School Musical: Get in the Picture will now air on Monday, September 8, 2008 from 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT and not September 15 as previously reported. The finale will lead-in to the previously announced CMA special from 9-11PM ET/PT. As a result of that change, The ABC Monday Movie of the Week Batman Begins will now air on Monday, September 15, 2008 from 8:00-11:00 PM ET/PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, July 30
Last Man Standing - "Tanks for the Memories" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Mike is anxious to buy the miniature tank collection once belonging to the late husband of his neighbor, Helen Potts (Patricia Richardson). But when he discovers Helen already sold the collection, he goes to extremes to make the collection his own. Meanwhile, Kristin and Ed are concerned when a mysterious “Bubba X” posts a scathing review about their dining experience at the Outdoor Man Restaurant.
Dr. Ken - "Kevin O'Connell" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Ken is taken aback when he meets Allison’s former boyfriend Kevin O’Connell (guest star Will Yun Lee, “The Wolverine”), now a very hot and successful doctor. So when Ken is asked to speak at a banquet honoring Kevin, he uses the opportunity more as a roast. Meanwhile, Molly struggles with a school assignment asking for what she wants to be when she grows up.
The Thundermans - "Robin Hood: Prince of Heebs" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Chloe announces that Max is her favorite sibling, Phoebe tries to show her the "real" Max by telling a Robin Hood-style bedtime story about the great Phoebe Hood and the evil Maxingham.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "New Kid on the Block"
(Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Quads try to make friends with their new neighbor in order to get access to the coolest treehouse ever, but soon find out she is not what she seems.
Legendary Dudas - "King Sam; Karate Kids" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Sam impresses his new classmates with an epic birthday party, but his extravagance leads to a bill he can't pay. Hoping to earn a spot on a television talent show, Tyler convinces Carter to revive their old martial arts act.
Monday, August 1
- Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) - Watch Simon on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Florence Foster Jenkins on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Shiri Appleby (Sunday Dinner) Constance Zimmer (Entourage/Good Morning, Miami) - Shiri and Constance are guests on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. They also talk about UnREAL on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Constance will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Thomas Middleditch, Kumail Nanjiani and Zach Woods (Silicon Valley) - Thomas, Kumail and Zach are guests on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jack Black (The Brink) - Jack appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will and the cast of Suicide Squad are guests on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Jessie T. Usher (Survivor's Remorse) - Jessie shares his One Last Thing on People Now at 8:30am.
- Anna Gunn (Down the Shore) - Anna is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher (Take My Wife) - Cameron and Rhea discuss their new Seeso original comedy series Take My Wife on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- John Corbett (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/United States of Tara/Sex and the City) - John discusses his role of Flash, the much-acclaimed former lead guitarist of The Heathens, the band he formed with Johnny (Denis Leary) in the FX hit comedy Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.