Thursday, August 28, 2008
BET September Programming Includes Smart Guy; 5 More RTN Stations to Launch in Early 2009; Network Notes
BET will launch Smart Guy on Saturday, September 6 with a marathon of the first 10 episodes from 11am-4pm before moving to its regular airing of weekdays at 5:00pm & 5:30pm ET/PT after The Steve Harvey Show starting Monday, September 8.
Other BET portions of the schedule will include Girlfriends airing from 9-10am weekdays starting September 1 and starting September 22 BET will launch Judge Karen at 10am and Judge Hatchett at 10:30am. Back-to-back Hell Date will air in the 11am hour, as the morning "Blackbuster" 10am-12pm movie will be gone. Steve Harvey and Smart Guy round out the daytime weekday series schedule from 4-6pm. Music and rap programming will primarily air elsewhere weekdays, however 11pm and 11:30pm will now will be Judge Karen and Judge Hatchett as well starting Sept. 22. The midnight "Blackbuster" movie follows, as A Different World will now only air sometimes in the 3am hour.
As for weekends, there will be no changes until the weekend of Sept. 27 when Romeo! shifts from the 11am hour to the 9am hour, while Just Jordan remains in the 10am hour, and two hours of Smart Guy airs from 11am-1pm starting Sept. 27 on Saturdays. On Sundays, starting Sept. 28, Judge Karen will air from 1-2pm, no other changes will be made.
Stunts for the month include a marathon of sister station TV Land's original series Family Foreman starring George Foreman on Sunday, Sept. 14 from 1-4pm featuring all six episodes.
Check out the generic BET September Fall 2008 schedule, if you want to see it in a list form.
Retro Television Network (RTN) announced that it has entered into an agreement with New Age Media to launch RTN affiliates in five new markets.
The new affiliates will air on digital streams of WQMY in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania; WPXT in Portland, Maine; WTLH in Tallahassee, Florida; analog station WYPN-CA in Gainesville, Florida; and a new television station in Columbus/Tupelo, Mississippi. The RTN affiliations are anticipated to sign on in early 2009.
These are the first announcements of new RTN affiliates since RTN was sold to Luken Communications...but the first of many to come, so stay tuned!
It's time for another round of network notes! NBC has announced it has picked up nine additional episodes of its sophomore drama Chuck (Mondays, 8-9 p.m. ET) to provide the series with a full-season 22-episode order for 2008-09. The new season launches Monday, September 29.
Fox has announced that Hole in the Wall, the body-bending, global game show, will now air a special preview episode on Sunday, Sept. 7 from 8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT following Fox's first NFL doubleheader of the season and as previously announced on Tuesday, Sept. 9 from 9:35-10:00 PM ET/PT following the series premiere of Fringe on FOX. Hole in the Wall will have its one-hour series premiere Thursday, Sept. 11 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on Fox and will air in that slot thereafter. Fox has still not announced what will air Sunday, Sept. 14 from 9:35-10pm following the Fringe pilot encore.
And finally, like I predicted, the season finale of ABC's High School Musical: Get in the Picture will now air on Monday, September 8, 2008 from 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT and not September 15 as previously reported. The finale will lead-in to the previously announced CMA special from 9-11PM ET/PT. As a result of that change, The ABC Monday Movie of the Week Batman Begins will now air on Monday, September 15, 2008 from 8:00-11:00 PM ET/PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, August 26
Bunk'd - "Zuri Weasels Out" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Hazel makes Zuri a counselor in training in the weasel cabin, much to Hazel's dismay; Jorge and Griff tell Ravi that the camp's horse has a secret talent.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets Bear" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
It's a state of emergency in the Matthews household when Riley's childhood teddy bear, Barry, is missing; Riley gathers a search party.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Love Thy Privacy" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A heated discussion with Danny's family brings Troy to her limit.
Friday, August 26
- Jeff Foxworthy (The Jeff Foxworthy Show) - Watch Jeff on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also appears live in studio to discuss his new comedy show on People Now at 8:30am. He is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Abby Elliott (Odd Mom Out) - Abby visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Sarah chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel guest co-hosts a repeat of LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jurnee Smollett-Bell (On Our Own) - Jurnee appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings. She teams with Mario Batali to dish up Blackened Spicy Garlic Salmon on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) and Sutton Foster (Younger) - Hilary and Sutton are guests on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Brandy (Zoe Ever After/The Game/Moesha) - Brandy guest co-hosts a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- John Krasinski (The Office) and Margo Martindale (The Millers) - John and Margo talk about The Hollars on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. Margo will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.