Sunday, July 06, 2008
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of June 23-29)
- The Simpsons (Fox) - Preempted for a movie.
King of the Hill (Fox) - Preempted for a movie.
- Family Guy (Fox) - Preempted for a movie.
- American Dad! (Fox) - Preempted for a movie.
- Everybody Hates Chris (The CW) - Just 750,000 viewers this week for a repeat, but that was a tad up actually from the week before.
Aliens in America (The CW) - 700,000 viewers for a repeat, exactly the same from previous week.
- The Game (The CW) - 940,000 viewers for a repeat...built from lead-in and exactly the same from previous week.
- Girlfriends (The CW) - 1.04 million for a repeat...better than previous week and the only show on The CW this week to go above a million...and this show is canceled now.
Summer Week 6 (June 30-July 6)
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - 5.47 million for a repeat...a bit up from the previous week. Next two weeks the show will also repeat at 9:30pm starting tomorrow.
- How I Met Your Mother
(CBS) - 5.42 million for a repeat airing, same from previous week, and it didn't build on the lead-in, very rare.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 8.48 million for a repeat, down week to week.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - 6.88 million for a repeat ... down as well from previous week...now this show is on hiatus.
- None...watch Wipeout on ABC, very funny show that is not a sitcom. There will be a Facts of Life reference soon.
- Under One Roof (MyNetworkTV) - 4th of July weekend, so we don't have final numbers yet for Wednesday and Thursday.
Coming Week Preview (Summer Week 7) for Broadcast (With Some Cable Notes):
So what is new or notable this week that you might want to catch? Tonight CBS will air a new 60 Minutes I believe at 7pm followed by the season finale of Million Dollar Password at 8pm with guests Monique Coleman and Damien Fahey and NBC's U.S. Olympic Trials will air from 7-9pm, followed by a new Dateline from 9-11pm. A pretty quite night and dare I say it boring?
On Monday, ABC will be all-new with the two-hour finale of The Bachelorette followed by the After the Final Rose special, The Mole returns next week. NBC has American Gladiators at 8pm, followed by the trimmed down Nashville Star at 9pm and yet another Dateline at 10pm. Quiet night...ABC will bring in good ratings with that finale. Read yesterday's blog for all those July 7 reminders on cable.
On Tuesday Fox will be all-new with The Moment of Truth at 8pm and Hell's Kitchen at 9pm. ABC has the hilarious new hit Wipeout, I Survived a Japanese Game Show & Primetime: The Outsiders from 8-11pm. NBC has Celebrity Family Feud at 8pm leading into the summer hit America's Got Talent which is now only an hour. This is the best night of the summer, as Wipeout is the perfect show to air in the summer!
On Wednesday Fox will air a new two-hour episode of So You Think You Can Dance. NBC will have an all-new Baby Borrowers at 9pm following a repeat at 8pm and an all-new episode of the low-rated Celebrity Circus at 10. ABC will be new at 10pm with Primetime: Crime. Maybe this is the worst night for the summer (not counting Friday/Saturday).
On Thursday ABC will air episode three of the well liked ABCNews' Hopkins series at 10pm. Fox will also be new all-night with Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? followed by So You Think You Can Dance-Thursday. CBS will launch a new show at 8pm called Greatest American Dog, which to me seems like a show that will be a big bomb, and another episode of the summer scripted series Swingtown at 10pm, which has gone down each week. And NBC will air a new episode of the low-rated Last Comic Standing from 9-11pm following a repeat at 8pm. Low rated drama Fear Itself will return next week. On cable, TBS will air new episodes of sitcoms The Bill Engvall Show and My Boys from 9-10pm.
On Friday, ABC will be all-new, all-night on Friday with Dance Machine at 8 followed by the addictive game show Duel and the news magazine 20/20 closes the night at 10pm. NBC will be new from 9-11pm with another edition of Dateline. CBS will launch a new scripted drama actually at 10pm titled Flashpoint. Don't expect big numbers. The CW of course will have WWE Smackdown.
Saturday will have Cops and AMW on Fox and a two-hour 48 Hours on CBS from 9-11pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, August 31
The Goldbergs - "I Caddyshacked the Pool" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Adam comes up with an excuse to not swim in class because he is embarrassed of his changing body, but Coach Mellor says he will fail him unless he participates. So he comes up with a plan that could affect his friendship with Dave Kim. Meanwhile, Erica struggles to find an identity, so she creates a club at school, but Barry ruins the experience for her when he joins the club as well.
The Goldbergs - "Smother's Day" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Barry and Erica forget to get Beverly a Mother’s Day gift and make last minute “Mom Coupons” instead. Beverly is understandably hurt, and decides to get revenge by cashing in every coupon they have made. Meanwhile, Adam tries to get Murray to let him go to space camp and accuses him of being as dream crushing as Pop-Pop.
Modern Family - "The Party" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Manny and Luke are in charge of babysitting Lily so that the adults can enjoy a day to themselves. Claire and Gloria have a lovely trip to the spa planned; Phil and Mitch nerd out at the movies; and Jay and Cam go to a sports bar to watch the big fight. Things start going awry though when the fire alarm goes off back at the house, and Claire is convinced the boys are secretly throwing a party.
black-ish - "Good-ish Times" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Dre is left exhausted after wrestling with a lot of stress at work and while at home, he drifts to sleep watching a TV marathon of “Good Times” – cue the dream sequence. The Johnson family goes back in time to the 1970s transforming into the classic TV show’s characters.
Modern Family - "Clean Out Your Junk Drawer" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Gloria won a bid at the school auction for a family seminar with famed doctor and author Debra Radcliffe, whose self-help book ‘Clean Out Your Junk Drawer’ encourages people get out all their emotional junk to become healthier people and in turn better partners and spouses. Jay is resistant to the whole experience and can’t get away fast enough; Mitch and Cam decide to keep it very surface level so they can come off as super stable; and Phil and Claire also make it competitive and strive to be the best and strongest couple of the group. Things quickly escalate, though, as junk starts flying. Elsewhere, Haley and Alex meet up and counsel each other on their boy problems.
The Middle - "A Very Donahue Vacation" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After making some extra money from the diaper business, Mike surprises a rather unenthusiastic Heck family with a spring break vacation at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky. In the hopes of livening up what is perceived to be a lame vacation, Frankie suggests that the Donahues join them. While Mike visits all of the attractions on his own, Nancy asks a not-so-thrilled Frankie to speak with Sean to try and talk him into taking his MCATs; Axl enlists Brick to help him pick up women by playing “Jerk/No Jerk” – with Brick in the role of the “Jerk”; and Mike is anything but excited when an exuberant Sue reveals some news to him about her upcoming summer plans.
You're the Worst - "Try Real Hard" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Jimmy and Gretchen adjust to life after saying I love you. Edgar and Dorothy have sexual problems. Lindsay and Paul start a new hobby.
Wednesday, August 31
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - Watch David on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Debi Mazar (Younger/Entourage/Working) - Debi talks about Younger on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan appears on a repeat of LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Constance Zimmer (Good Morning, Miami) - Constance is a guest on a repeat of LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Carly Chaikin (Suburgatory) - Carly is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. (Freddie) - Freddie appears on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta guest co-hosts a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- John O'Hurley (Seinfeld/The Mullets) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tahj Mowry (Baby Daddy/Smart Guy/Full House) - Tahj guest co-hosts a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Chris Geere (You're the Worst) - Chris discusses the upcoming season of You're the Worst on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Derek and Jean-Luc discuss Baby Daddy on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.