Sunday, July 06, 2008
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of June 23-29)
- The Simpsons (Fox) - Preempted for a movie.
King of the Hill (Fox) - Preempted for a movie.
- Family Guy (Fox) - Preempted for a movie.
- American Dad! (Fox) - Preempted for a movie.
- Everybody Hates Chris (The CW) - Just 750,000 viewers this week for a repeat, but that was a tad up actually from the week before.
Aliens in America (The CW) - 700,000 viewers for a repeat, exactly the same from previous week.
- The Game (The CW) - 940,000 viewers for a repeat...built from lead-in and exactly the same from previous week.
- Girlfriends (The CW) - 1.04 million for a repeat...better than previous week and the only show on The CW this week to go above a million...and this show is canceled now.
Summer Week 6 (June 30-July 6)
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - 5.47 million for a repeat...a bit up from the previous week. Next two weeks the show will also repeat at 9:30pm starting tomorrow.
- How I Met Your Mother
(CBS) - 5.42 million for a repeat airing, same from previous week, and it didn't build on the lead-in, very rare.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 8.48 million for a repeat, down week to week.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - 6.88 million for a repeat ... down as well from previous week...now this show is on hiatus.
- None...watch Wipeout on ABC, very funny show that is not a sitcom. There will be a Facts of Life reference soon.
- Under One Roof (MyNetworkTV) - 4th of July weekend, so we don't have final numbers yet for Wednesday and Thursday.
Coming Week Preview (Summer Week 7) for Broadcast (With Some Cable Notes):
So what is new or notable this week that you might want to catch? Tonight CBS will air a new 60 Minutes I believe at 7pm followed by the season finale of Million Dollar Password at 8pm with guests Monique Coleman and Damien Fahey and NBC's U.S. Olympic Trials will air from 7-9pm, followed by a new Dateline from 9-11pm. A pretty quite night and dare I say it boring?
On Monday, ABC will be all-new with the two-hour finale of The Bachelorette followed by the After the Final Rose special, The Mole returns next week. NBC has American Gladiators at 8pm, followed by the trimmed down Nashville Star at 9pm and yet another Dateline at 10pm. Quiet night...ABC will bring in good ratings with that finale. Read yesterday's blog for all those July 7 reminders on cable.
On Tuesday Fox will be all-new with The Moment of Truth at 8pm and Hell's Kitchen at 9pm. ABC has the hilarious new hit Wipeout, I Survived a Japanese Game Show & Primetime: The Outsiders from 8-11pm. NBC has Celebrity Family Feud at 8pm leading into the summer hit America's Got Talent which is now only an hour. This is the best night of the summer, as Wipeout is the perfect show to air in the summer!
On Wednesday Fox will air a new two-hour episode of So You Think You Can Dance. NBC will have an all-new Baby Borrowers at 9pm following a repeat at 8pm and an all-new episode of the low-rated Celebrity Circus at 10. ABC will be new at 10pm with Primetime: Crime. Maybe this is the worst night for the summer (not counting Friday/Saturday).
On Thursday ABC will air episode three of the well liked ABCNews' Hopkins series at 10pm. Fox will also be new all-night with Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? followed by So You Think You Can Dance-Thursday. CBS will launch a new show at 8pm called Greatest American Dog, which to me seems like a show that will be a big bomb, and another episode of the summer scripted series Swingtown at 10pm, which has gone down each week. And NBC will air a new episode of the low-rated Last Comic Standing from 9-11pm following a repeat at 8pm. Low rated drama Fear Itself will return next week. On cable, TBS will air new episodes of sitcoms The Bill Engvall Show and My Boys from 9-10pm.
On Friday, ABC will be all-new, all-night on Friday with Dance Machine at 8 followed by the addictive game show Duel and the news magazine 20/20 closes the night at 10pm. NBC will be new from 9-11pm with another edition of Dateline. CBS will launch a new scripted drama actually at 10pm titled Flashpoint. Don't expect big numbers. The CW of course will have WWE Smackdown.
Saturday will have Cops and AMW on Fox and a two-hour 48 Hours on CBS from 9-11pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - TARGET="_blank">Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, October 22
The Middle - "The Table" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Frankie and Mike wish each other a happy 20-somethingth wedding anniversary, Axl decides that he and Hutch need to class up their broke-down house and find another roommate to help with expenses. But while helping Axl track down a dining room table to help spruce up his house, Frankie finds a full dining set on sale online for $50 and ends up giving Axl the Heck house dining room table, while she excitedly looks forward to her new purchase. Meanwhile, after being presented with a special necklace to proclaim his love, Sue becomes angry with her boyfriend, Darrin, when she discovers that he had also given the same gift to his former girlfriend. And Brick begins a podcast. Jimmy Kimmel guest stars as himself.
The Goldbergs - "Shall We Play a Game?" (ABC, 8:30PM
Adam inadvertently gets Barry kicked out of the cool group (Jenkintown Posse) of friends at school and must come up with a plan to get his brother back in. Adam convinces Barry and his friends he has the skills to hack into the school computer system to change their grades, but does he? Later, Beverly is immediately jealous when she learns Erica hangs out with a friend’s cooler mom and sets out to show Erica she can be cool too.
Modern Family - "Won't You Be Our Neighbor" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Phil is selling the house next door and he and Claire are excited by the prospect of having wonderful new neighbors, but that quickly turns into panic when a loud and obnoxious couple (guest stars Steve Zahn and Andrea Anders) come to look at the house. Jay forbids Manny to see his new girlfriend when he realizes she’s the granddaughter of his biggest business rival, leading to a clash of the closet titans. Elsewhere, Mitch and Cam are determined to switch Lily out of Mrs. Plank’s (guest star Tyne Daly) class since she is known to rule with an iron fist – not to mention she scares them too.
black-ish - "Crime and Punishment" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Although Dre and Rainbow agreed they would no longer spank their kids, all bets might be off when Jack disobeys. Now, Zoey, Junior, Diane and a nervous Jack are afraid that their parents will go back on their word.
Melissa & Joey - "Witch Came First" (ABC Family, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mel's doctor drops in on Halloween and reveals that Mel was once a teenage witch.
Baby Daddy - "Strip or Treat" (ABC Family, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Ben, Danny and Tucker end up in jail when their plans to attend a big Halloween party go awry.
The League - "Man Land" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Jenny's dad (Corbin Bernsen) takes the guys camping. Andre and Russell go into business together. Pete's new team name offends Kevin who refuses to say it.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "The Restraining Order" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Keisha retaliates by serving Richard with a restraining order; Marcus brings in an attorney to help out his friend.
Wednesday, October 22
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Watch Jason on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Mike Epps (Survivor's Remorse) - Mike drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent/Arrested Development/The Larry Sanders Show) - Jeffrey appears on a repeat of The Colbert Report at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Kat Dennings (2 Broke Girls) - Kat stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny chats on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Henry Zebrowski (A to Z) - Henry is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ty Burrell (Modern Family/Back to You/Out of Practice) - Ty appears on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Fred Savage and Danica McKellar (The Wonder Years) - Fred and Danica chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Tori opens up about the cheating scandal that left her marriage in shambles, how she juggles four kids, business ventures and salvaging her relationship with her husband on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse visits The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Elise Neal (The Hughleys) - Elise is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.