Monday, July 07, 2008
Summer 2008 TCA Cable Tour - July 8-11; NBC Universal Buys The Weather Channel; ION Reminds Us of Cooper
Up on Tuesday is: TV One, The Hallmark Channel, HDnet, BBC America, and Comcast's E!, style, & G4. Wednesday we have AMC, WE tv, MTV Networks (such as CMT, MTV, TV Land, VH1), National Geographic Channel, and A&E Networks (such as History and A&E). Thursday up at the panel are Discovery Networks (such as Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC), ESPN, Sundance Channel, HBO, and GSN. Finally on Friday up are Turner Broadcasting (CNN, Cartoon Network, TNT, TBS), Fox Reality Channel, Starz, Lifetime, and IFC.
NBC Universal, Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire The Weather Channel properties from Landmark Communications. The Weather Channel will be operated as a separate entity, based in Atlanta, with management services to be provided by NBC Universal.
The transaction includes The Weather Channel Networks, the third-most-distributed cable network, seen in more than 97% of cable television homes in the U.S.; The Weather Channel Interactive, which includes weather.com, the nation's leading weather website, with nearly 40 million unique visitors per month, and a leading mobile business; and Weather Services International, a global leader in weather forecasting, with more than 5,500 clients worldwide. The transaction is expected to be completed by year-end, and is subject to receipt of customary regulatory approvals. NBC Universal, Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group announced on June 13, 2008, that they had entered into exclusive negotiations to purchase The Weather Channel properties.
NBC Universal will probably have much more details when they are up at the 2008 summer TCA press tour in a few weeks.
Of course there is still no new deal for the SAG (the actors). So there could be a chance the broadcast portion of ther TCA tour could be scratched. The last statement SAG released was on July 2:
The Screen Actors Guild national negotiating committee met with AMPTP negotiators today to present a series of substantive questions on the employers' proposed package. Guild negotiators and staff will further analyze and review the AMPTP's responses over the next several days in order to prepare a response to management's proposal.
Let's hope they can settle this because I sure don't want to cover another strike. The recent WGA strike is still fresh in my mind.
Finally, ION issued a reminder press release today on something we have known for a long time. ION Television announced today that, through a deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution, it will launch the sitcom Hangin' with Mr. Cooper on its weeknight schedule beginning with two back-to-back episodes, airing July 7th (tonight) from 5 p.m.–6 p.m. (ET/PT). The popular series, in a branded "Laugh Attack" hour, will then continue in this timeslot Mondays through Fridays.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, October 2
Bad Judge - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Rebecca Wright (Kate Walsh) knows how to have a good time, but she also happens to be one of L.A.’s toughest and most respected criminal court judges. She has a reputation for unorthodox behavior in the courtroom, including creative rulings and saying exactly what’s on her mind. Her private life, on the other hand, is anything but innocent. While there’s no shortage of male admirers who would love to spend time with her, she’s not ready to settle down.
A to Z - "A Is for Acquaintances" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
This is the A-to-Z story of Andrew (Ben Feldman) and Zelda (Cristin Milioti) — a pair that almost wasn’t — and all that happened from the day they met. When a computer glitch sends her a total mismatch, she’s asked to come in for an interview at the internet dating site where Andrew works, and this is where it all begins. Andrew and Zelda meet for the first time and despite their differences, sparks fly. She thinks it’s chance. He thinks it’s fate and is convinced she’s the shimmering girl in the silver dress he saw several years earlier.
- "Sanders Again" (Nick at Nite, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Aaron's imaginary friend "Sanders" comes back, Stephanie is worried that she is spending too much time working. After reading up on the subject, Stephanie makes sure Sanders feels welcomed, until he crosses the line.
See Dad Run - "See Dad Ruin Joe's Teacher" (Nick at Nite, 8:30PM ET/PT)
David inadvertently encourages Joe's favorite teacher to follow his dream of writing, but when David discovers he doesn't cut it as a "beat poetry" substitute, he must find a way to get the teacher back or risk disappointing Joe.
Dog with a Blog - "Howloween 2: the Final Reckoning" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bennett and Ellen overhear Stan talking; the kids go into damage control and try to convince their parents that the house is haunted.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets World: of Terror" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
While Auggie braves the monster under his bed, Riley survives a sleep over at Maya's with her grandmother and pet ferret; Farkle faces the ultimate terror: softball.
Jessie - "The Runaway Bride of Frankenstein" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The Halloween Festival takes a scary turn when Brooks proposes to Jessie and she learns that none of the Ross kids approve.
Thursday, October 2
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne) - Catch Johnny on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Sarah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- John Mulaney (Mulaney) - John appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Melissa Fumero (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Melissa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/I'm a Big Girl Now) - Martin visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Mario appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu will be on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Ana Gasteyer (Suburgatory) - Ana can be heard on Wake Up with Taylor on Sirius XM Stars channel 109 sometime between 6-9am. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET
- John Mulaney (Mulaney) - John talks about his new show Mulaney on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge) - Kate discusses her new show Bad Judge on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Cristin Milioti (A to Z/How I Met Your Mother) - Cristin chats about her new show A to Z on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She can also be heard on Covino & Rich on SiriusXM Indie radio channel 102 at 2pm.
- Nasim Pedrad (Mulaney - Nasim talks about her new show Mulaney on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Sheryl Lee Ralph (Instant Mom/Moesha/It's a Living) - Sheryl will be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.
- Tom Arnold (Tom/The Tom Show/Roseanne) - Tom is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. (Freddie) - Freddie appears on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.