Monday, July 07, 2008
Summer 2008 TCA Cable Tour - July 8-11; NBC Universal Buys The Weather Channel; ION Reminds Us of Cooper
Up on Tuesday is: TV One, The Hallmark Channel, HDnet, BBC America, and Comcast's E!, style, & G4. Wednesday we have AMC, WE tv, MTV Networks (such as CMT, MTV, TV Land, VH1), National Geographic Channel, and A&E Networks (such as History and A&E). Thursday up at the panel are Discovery Networks (such as Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC), ESPN, Sundance Channel, HBO, and GSN. Finally on Friday up are Turner Broadcasting (CNN, Cartoon Network, TNT, TBS), Fox Reality Channel, Starz, Lifetime, and IFC.
NBC Universal, Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire The Weather Channel properties from Landmark Communications. The Weather Channel will be operated as a separate entity, based in Atlanta, with management services to be provided by NBC Universal.
The transaction includes The Weather Channel Networks, the third-most-distributed cable network, seen in more than 97% of cable television homes in the U.S.; The Weather Channel Interactive, which includes weather.com, the nation's leading weather website, with nearly 40 million unique visitors per month, and a leading mobile business; and Weather Services International, a global leader in weather forecasting, with more than 5,500 clients worldwide. The transaction is expected to be completed by year-end, and is subject to receipt of customary regulatory approvals. NBC Universal, Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group announced on June 13, 2008, that they had entered into exclusive negotiations to purchase The Weather Channel properties.
NBC Universal will probably have much more details when they are up at the 2008 summer TCA press tour in a few weeks.
Of course there is still no new deal for the SAG (the actors). So there could be a chance the broadcast portion of ther TCA tour could be scratched. The last statement SAG released was on July 2:
The Screen Actors Guild national negotiating committee met with AMPTP negotiators today to present a series of substantive questions on the employers' proposed package. Guild negotiators and staff will further analyze and review the AMPTP's responses over the next several days in order to prepare a response to management's proposal.
Let's hope they can settle this because I sure don't want to cover another strike. The recent WGA strike is still fresh in my mind.
Finally, ION issued a reminder press release today on something we have known for a long time. ION Television announced today that, through a deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution, it will launch the sitcom Hangin' with Mr. Cooper on its weeknight schedule beginning with two back-to-back episodes, airing July 7th (tonight) from 5 p.m.–6 p.m. (ET/PT). The popular series, in a branded "Laugh Attack" hour, will then continue in this timeslot Mondays through Fridays.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/05 - 10 Items or Less - The Complete Series
04/05 - Episodes - The Fourth Season
04/05 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season One
04/12 - Family Matters - The Complete Sixth Season
04/12 - Grace and Frankie - Season One
04/12 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete Second Season
04/19 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/19 - Veep - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
04/26 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official First Season
04/26 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Six
04/26 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series
04/26 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Second Season
04/29 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, April 28
The Big Bang Theory - "The Fermentation Bifurcation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The gang goes to a wine bar and runs into Penny’s old boyfriend, Zack (Brian Thomas Smith). Also, Bernadette gets stuck spending the evening with Sheldon when she can’t go wine tasting with the group, and things don’t go as planned when Koothrappali introduces his new girlfriend, Claire (Alessandra Torresani).
The Odd Couple - "Madison & Jon" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Oscar’s dream comes true when he is asked to throw out the first pitch at a New York Mets game. Also, Felix surprises Oscar and invites his father to be there for the big day. Original series creator Garry Marshall guest stars as Oscar’s father, Walter Madison.
Mom - "A Catheter and a Dispy-Doodle" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite being extremely ill, Christy insists on taking her final exams. Also, Bonnie is furious when she suspects her boyfriend, Adam (William Fichtner), is cheating on her.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Partnership Hits the Fan" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When a law firm courting Randy (Ed Quinn) for a job invites Randy and Max to dinner at a hip new restaurant, the evening veers off course when their eclectic cuisine doesn’t sit well with Max.
Thursday, April 28
- Nick Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Nick is a musical guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Christine Baranski (Cybill/Happy Family/Welcome to New York) - Christine appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Judy Greer (Married/Mad Love/Miss Guided) - Catch Judy on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Chris Gethard (Broad City/Big Lake) - Chris is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zoey Deutch (The Suite Life on Deck) - Zoey drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse gives Mario Batali the scoop on his new Broadway role in Fully Committed on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David gives dating advice on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Stacy Keach (Crowded/Titus) - Stacy is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Geena Davis (The Geena Davis Show/Buffalo Bill) - Geena and Susan Sarandon reunite to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Thelma & Louise on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton is a guest on People Now.
- George Hamilton (Jenny) - George appears on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.