Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Lifetime Picks-Up Original Sitcom; Three Original Bill Cosby Sweaters Up for Auction; Remembering Bill Dial
In the series, Sullivan stars as Rita Clements, unfulfilled by her harried life as a married working mom, regains her identity by recreating her glory days as a musician in a garage band. The series will premiere this fall as part of a one-hour comedy block with the top-rated Reba repeats. Rita Rocks is Lifetime's first original sitcom in a decade.
Rita Rocks joins an array of original programming airing on Lifetime this fall, broadening its leadership in all genres, including Original Movies, Original Series and Reality Series. Lifetime Original Movies are the #1 rated among women. Beginning in September, the star-studded slate of original movies includes: Sex & Lies in Sin City starring Mena Suvari and Matthew Modine; Coco Chanel"starring Shirley MacLaine, Barbara Bobulova and Malcolm McDowell; Living Proof executive produced by Neil Meron, Craig Zadan and Renee Zellweger, and starring Harry Connick, Jr.; Killing Mr. Kissel starring John Stamos and Flirting with 40 starring Heather Locklear.
Lifetime's most-watched series in its history (which is airing originals currently), Army Wives, will return with more original episodes in November, including a special two-hour season finale. And premiering this November, the hit reality competition series Project Runway with Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn moves to Lifetime.
You have a chance to own three popular sweaters Bill Cosby wore on The Cosby Show as Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable! Mr. Cosby is auctioning them on eBay for a good cause. These three sweaters were worn on The Cosby Show by Bill Cosby between seasons 3-8. It will come with a dated and hand signed letter from Mr. Cosby himself authenticating this. It will also come with a separate letter from the sweater designer, Koos Van Den Akker, indicating that he made this sweater for Bill Cosby for The Cosby Show.
Bill Cosby's sweaters have never before been made available to the public. The sweaters were custom made by Koos Van Den Akker, and only his designer label appears with no size marking indicated. They are approximately size large. The one-of-a-kind sweaters were specifically designed for Bill Cosby and are collages primarily composed of woolens and cottons.
All proceeds from the sale of these legendary Heathcliff Huxtable sweaters will benefit the Hello Friend/Ennis William Cosby Foundation. The non-profit educational organization was established in 1997 by the Cosby family to continue the legacy and life's work of Ennis Cosby, who was about to begin his doctoral studies in education at the time of his death.
Jimmy Kimmel is promoting the sweaters by wearing each of the three sweaters on three nights, last night, tonight and tomorrow night on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live!, late nights on ABC. He wore sweater #2 from the auction last night. Check Jimmy modeling them out, as he wears them for the entire show! To bid on these items, head on over to eBay:
This is your chance to own a piece of Cosby Show history and help out a good cause at the same time! The Hello Friend/Ennis William Cosby Foundation is dedicated to fulfilling the goals and dreams of Ennis Cosby. The Foundation equips teachers, parents and students with the practical information and educational tools needed to understand and address the needs of all learners before they experience the corrosive effects of frustration and failure. The Foundation was established in 1997 by Bill and Camille Cosby as a 501(c)(3) public charity.
Finally we leave you today with news that Bill Dial has passed away. He died of a heart attack on Monday, June 2 in South Carolina, where he moved to after retiring from the business in 2001. Bill was most known as a writer, producer, and actor on the hit sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati. He wrote five episodes for this series during its first season (1978-79), the most famous of which was his first, entitled "Turkeys Away." He guest starred on the series even for a few episodes playing the station's beer-drinking engineer, Bucky Dornster.
After WKRP, he wrote and/or produced series such as Harper Valley P.T.A., Legmen, Simon & Simon, E.A.R.T.H. Force, Evening Shade, and some TV movies. In 1991, Dial returned to his claim to fame as an executive producer and writer on The New WKRP in Cincinnati, a follow-up series to the 1970s sitcom. The New WKRP aired in first-run syndication for two seasons. His later credits included writing and producing Time Trax, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, Team Knight Rider, Sliders, Legend, and Spike TV's 18 Wheels of Justice. He will be missed, especially by WKRP fans. WKRP in Cincinnati can be seen nationally on cable Sunday evenings on WGN America and Monday nights on AmericanLife TV. Mr. Dial was 66.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/05 - Cheers - The Complete Series
05/12 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete Fourth Season
05/12 - The Hotwives of Orlando - The Complete First Season
05/12 - Mister Ed - The Final (Sixth) Season (Shout! Factory)
05/19 - American Dad - Volume 10
05/19 - C.P.O. Sharkey - The Complete Season 1
05/19 - The Larry Sanders Show - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Nine (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - NewsRadio - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete First Season
05/26 - Hello Ladies - Season 1
05/26 - The Nanny - The Complete Series
05/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Third Season
05/26 - The Wonder Years - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, May 27
Modern Family - "The Day We Almost Died" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
While driving out to get breakfast, the Dunphys including Manny have a near death experience causing everyone to reevaluate their lives. Claire resolves to be more fun and less uptight, Haley and Alex agree not to fight anymore, Manny refuses to ever ride in a car again, Luke wants to check off his bucket list, Phil decides to be a take action type of guy and the rest of the family has to bear the brunt of all the new attitudes.
black-ish - "Pilot" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Dre, an advertising exec, is happily anticipating a promotion at work, which would make him the firm’s first African American senior vice president. Rainbow, an anesthesiologist, is looking forward to Dre’s raise. Meanwhile, Andre Jr. makes an announcement — he’s converting to Judaism so he can have a Bar Mitzvah, like all his friends.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Part Two" (ABC Family, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi is bewildered when long-held secrets are revealed; a big opportunity lands in Gabi's lap.
Hot in Cleveland - "Hot in Cleveland: Hot Damn!" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
The cast and crew talk about their favorite episodes, bloopers and behind the scenes moments after six seasons of Hot in Cleveland.
The Soul Man - "Roar!" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When Stamps gets sucked into a self-help philosophy called The Roar, Boyce crashes a seminar to see if it’s legit. Lolli tries to get her salon on St. Louis Weekly’s hot list, and Barton refuses to go to the dentist.
Wednesday, May 27
- Jason Alexander (Seinfeld/Listen Up!/Bob Patterson) - Watch Jason on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs (2 Broke Girls) - Kat and Beth are guests on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. Beth will also be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie) - Edie is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Natasha Leggero (Free Agents) - Natasha appears on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Tom Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men/The Famous Teddy Z) and Ashton Kutcher (Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Jon and Ashton are guests on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jerry Ferrara (Entourage) - Jerry visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Kevin Connolly (Entourage/Unhappily Ever After) - Kevin talks about his new film Entourage on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Wendie Malick (Hot in Cleveland/Just Shoot Me! and Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier/Throb) - Wendie and Jane are guests on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Margaret Cho (All-American Girl) - Margaret discusses her new tour on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie talks about Results on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation/The Office) - Rashida talks about Hot Girls Wanted on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show.
- Constance Zimmer (Good Morning, Miami) and Shirl Appleby (Sunday Dinner/Knight & Daye) - Constance and Shirl talk about Unreal on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Raven-Symoné (That's So Raven/Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/The Cosby Show) - Raven-Symoné guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kirstie Alley (Kirstie/Veronica's Closet/Cheers) - Kirstie appears on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Scott Foley (The Goodwin Games/Scrubs/A.U.S.A.) - Scott is a guest on People Now.