Friday, June 06, 2008
Fox Changes Fall Premiere Dates; CBS Encoring Engvall's Sitcom; John Ritter Portrait Added to Hollywood High Mural
Fox premiere week will kick off the 2008-09 season with special two-hour premieres of Prison Break Monday, Sept. 1 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT; Bones Wednesday, Sept. 3 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT; The Moment of Truth Thursday, Sept. 4 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT; and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Friday, Sept. 5 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT. Premiere week will also see the season premieres of Cops and America's Most Wanted on Saturday, September 6.
As for new series, Fringe, the highly anticipated new thriller from J.J. Abrams will debut with a two-hour premiere Tuesday, Sept. 9 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT. New sitcom, Do Not Disturb, the new workplace comedy starring Jerry O'Connell and Niecy Nash, will premiere Wednesday, Sept. 10 at 9:30 PM ET/PT.
Other fall premieres include: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on Monday, September 8 at 8:00PM, as Prison Break will slide over to 9:00PM. Returning sitcom 'Til Death will have its season premiere Wednesday, September 10 at 9:00PM in between Bones and Do Not Disturb. Kitchen Nightmares will have its season premiere on Thursday, September 11 at 9:00PM, as The Moment of Truth will air at 8:00PM. Don't Forget the Lyrics! will have its season premiere the next day, Friday, September 12 at 9:00PM following Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Fox Saturday late night will have its season premieres on Saturday, September 13 with MADtv at 11:00pm and Talk Show with Spike Feresten at midnight. House will have its season premiere on Tuesday, September 16 in its new slot of 8:00pm, leading into Fringe. And finally, the Fox Animation Domination comedies will have their season premieres in the actual traditional premiere week (Sept. 22-28) on Sunday, September 28 with The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy and American Dad! from 8-10PM.
TBS's original sitcom, The Bill Engvall Show starring Bill Engvall launches its ten-episode second season on Thursday, June 12 at 9:00PM, but before that happens CBS has struck a deal with TBS to air an episode from season one on CBS this coming Monday (June 9). The season one encore (episode three How Bill Met Susan) will air on CBS at 8:00PM in place of the normally scheduled The Big Bang Theory.
Why is CBS doing this? They are not sister stations with TBS, so one wonders what the reason is? Variety reports that this is strictly a marketing swap. In exchange for CBS giving its show wider exposure, TBS will cede promo time to CBS to promote its fall 2008 schedule. So it is a win-win situation for both networks, as TBS gets more exposure for The Bill Engvall Show and CBS gets to showcase its fall promos on TBS. TBS got 4.1 million last season for the series premiere of The Bill Engvall Show. Can CBS's encore do better and can the season premiere on TBS do better as well (opposite the NBA Finals on ABC)? Only time will tell...
Finally, we leave you today with some good news. A 50-foot portrait of the legendary John Ritter (Three's Company, 8 Simple Rules) was dedicated as part of the existing Hollywood High School "Portrait of Hollywood" mural at 9 a.m. today in front of the mural at 1521 N. Highland Avenue, at the corner of Highland and Hawthorne. If you all recall or didn't know, when John was a guest on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live back in April 2003, Jimmy told John that he will not rest until John's photo was added to the Hollywood High mural. John of course went to Hollywood High for high school from 1962-1966 (then he later went to USC for college from 1966-1971). And now John has finally gotten his photo added to the mural at Hollywood High!
Attending the event was: Amy Yasbeck Ritter, Jimmy Kimmel, mural artist Eloy Torrez, Los Angeles City Council president Eric Garcetti, and Councilmember Tom La Bonge.
Also attended was representatives from the Community Redevelopment Agency of the City of Los Angeles, Legacy Partners and Gatehouse Capital, which combined forces to fund the $74,000 mural.
The event also marks the creation of a $500,000 endowment fund for Hollywood High School's Performing Arts program, provided by a collaboration of Gatehouse Capital.
Great news! And we can't wait to see a picture of this! To discuss this news, and to see a photo of John's "pretend mural" on Jimmy Kimmel Live in 2003, click HERE!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/05 - Cheers - The Complete Series
05/12 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete Fourth Season
05/12 - The Hotwives of Orlando - The Complete First Season
05/12 - Mister Ed - The Final (Sixth) Season (Shout! Factory)
05/19 - American Dad - Volume 10
05/19 - C.P.O. Sharkey - The Complete Season 1
05/19 - The Larry Sanders Show - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Nine (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - NewsRadio - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete First Season
05/26 - Hello Ladies - Season 1
05/26 - The Nanny - The Complete Series
05/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Third Season
05/26 - The Wonder Years - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 5
New Girl - "Clean Break" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
As Coach prepares to move out of the loft, Schmidt also decides to get rid of his non-essentials and in the process discovers what is truly important to him; Jess and Nick reminisce about their “sex mug” and wonder if they still have feelings for each other.
Weird Loners - "We're Here. We're Weird. Get Used to Us" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
The group goes to a lesbian bar, where Caryn and Stosh compete for the same woman. Meanwhile, Zara is conflicted between keeping Eric as her darts partner or letting him know that the bar’s patrons think he’s one of them.
Undataeable - "A Live Show Walks Into a Bar" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When a music festival comes to Detroit, Danny (Chris D'Elia) and Justin (Brent Morin) both try to win over a beautiful backup singer (guest star Victoria Justice) they met in the bar. As Danny tries to give Justin the chance to get the girl, he can't help but compete for her attention. Meanwhile, the gang does their best to keep Candace (Bridgit Mendler) from going back to her old boyfriend.
Your Family or Mine - "Christmas in July" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Ricky's annual summer Christmas photo, but Louis scheduled his co mpany-mandated life insurance physical at the same time, and a representative will be dropping by to take a urine sample. Since Louis smoked pot with Blake last week, he's now on the hunt for an untainted sample.
Younger - "Broke and Panty-less" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
When her ex comes up short on a tuition payment, Liza has to swallow her pride to earn some quick cash without arousing suspicion from Josh. Kelsey continues to blur the line between editor and mistress with her prize author.
Mann & Wife - "The Mann Brothers" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Daniel's brother, Lionel, visits and sibling rivalry takes over; Toni tries to improve the school's dress code.
Tuesday, May 5
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Catch Sofia on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan stops by The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Julie Bowen (Modern Family) - Julie is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting (The Big Bang Theory/8 Simple Rules) - Kaley appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Eugene Cordero (Other Space) - Eugene is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Chris O'Dowd (Family Tree) - Chris visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Alan Thicke (Unusually Thicke/Growing Pains) - Alan drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin speaks about the Broadway production On the Twentieth Century on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Lily talks about the Netflix series Grace and Frankie on NBC's today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) - Miley visits ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Brad Garrett ('Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Hana Mae Lee (Super Fun Night and Alexis Knapp (Ground Floor) - Hana and Alexis talk about Pitch Perfect 2 on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kevin Rahm (I Hate My Teenage Daughter/Jesse) - Kevin talks about the Mad Men series finale on HuffPost Live at 4pm.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace talks about her Hallmark Channel original movie Just the Way You Are, which premieres May 9 at 9pm/8c, on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on the AOL Build Show.
- Raven-Symoné (That's So Raven/Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/The Cosby Show) - Raven-Symoné guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah talks about Modern Family on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brandy Norwood (The Game/Moesha/Thea) - Brandy is a guest on NewsNation at 11am on MSNBC and on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Jennie Garth (Mystery Girls/What I Like About You) - Jennie appears on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York at 9:10am.