Thursday, May 29, 2008
Now WGN is also planning more theme weeks. The '70s week is the first of many to come. They tentatively have an '80s week planned for July and we could see ALF, Family Ties, and more shows. So stay tuned to that when it is announced! Casey Kasem will be announcing during promos and voice-overs for the theme weeks and the regular Sunday block...how cool!
We will certainly let you know if more of these shows join the actual line-up...so far WKRP is the only one joining the line-up that has aired during a theme week. I wouldn't be surprised though if Newhart is in the '80s week and IF they have a '50s week, The Honeymooners could air in that. And once again all this is not available for the local WGN in Chicago. This is for the national WGN only, the cable version.
Also, the national WGN was called Superstation WGN for many years, but this past Monday they changed their name to WGN America. So, from now on I'll refer WGN to WGN America. The new name and logo was introduced this past Monday and also with the slogan "TV You Can't Ignore." According to the Chicago Tribune, WGN America's new "eyes" logo, which resembles the one used for much of the '90s by cable's The Movie Channel, was the inspiration of Tribune Co. Chief Innovation Officer Lee Abrams. The former radio consultant wanted the channel to look more like an album cover. It resembles the eyes of the woman on Duran Duran's "Rio" album, but Abrams said he was just trying to help the channel break from traditional TV.
Sean Compton, a former Clear Channel exec recruited to tend to Tribune TV programming, meanwhile is repackaging reruns (WKRP, etc) and old movies (Rocky movies, etc) and giving away prizes via WGNAmerica.com, the new website. By the end of the summer, the plan is to introduce an original program. And within 18 months or so, Compton hopes the nation will barely recognize the channel.
We leave you tonight with a reminder. Tonight is the last of the regular season show's, as Lost will ends its season with an all-night event. At 8pm an encore of the previous episodes will air with bonus footage followed by the game changing two-hour season finale from 9-11pm on ABC. It should do big. Only other new programming on the night is summer reality series: So You Think You Can Dance on Fox from 8-10 and Last Comic Standing on NBC from 8:30-10:30pm. Sitcom wise, NBC will wraparound The Office repeats around Comic at 8 and 10:30pm. CBS will encore Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother from 8-9pm. But you should be getting Lost tonight! After tonight, the summer season will really begin since the regular season scripted series will come to an end until the new season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, July 1
Love Thy Neighbor - "The Bus Station" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Thanks to Drew, there's a misunderstanding.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Invasion of Privacy" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Sam violates Troy's personal space and continues to disrupt Danny's marriage.
Friday, July 1
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Watch Bryan on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She will also be on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Linney (The Big C) - Laura visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jessie T. Usher (Survivor's Remorse) - Jessie shares his plans to celebrate this holiday weekend on People Now at 8:30am.
- Donald Faison (The Exes/Scrubs) - Donald guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101) - Jamie is a guest on People Now at 8:30am.
- Ernie Hudson (Grace and Frankie/The Last Precinct) - Ernie appears on People Now at 8:30am.
- Ricky Schroder (Silver Spoons) - Ricky is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.