Thursday, May 29, 2008
Now WGN is also planning more theme weeks. The '70s week is the first of many to come. They tentatively have an '80s week planned for July and we could see ALF, Family Ties, and more shows. So stay tuned to that when it is announced! Casey Kasem will be announcing during promos and voice-overs for the theme weeks and the regular Sunday block...how cool!
We will certainly let you know if more of these shows join the actual line-up...so far WKRP is the only one joining the line-up that has aired during a theme week. I wouldn't be surprised though if Newhart is in the '80s week and IF they have a '50s week, The Honeymooners could air in that. And once again all this is not available for the local WGN in Chicago. This is for the national WGN only, the cable version.
Also, the national WGN was called Superstation WGN for many years, but this past Monday they changed their name to WGN America. So, from now on I'll refer WGN to WGN America. The new name and logo was introduced this past Monday and also with the slogan "TV You Can't Ignore." According to the Chicago Tribune, WGN America's new "eyes" logo, which resembles the one used for much of the '90s by cable's The Movie Channel, was the inspiration of Tribune Co. Chief Innovation Officer Lee Abrams. The former radio consultant wanted the channel to look more like an album cover. It resembles the eyes of the woman on Duran Duran's "Rio" album, but Abrams said he was just trying to help the channel break from traditional TV.
Sean Compton, a former Clear Channel exec recruited to tend to Tribune TV programming, meanwhile is repackaging reruns (WKRP, etc) and old movies (Rocky movies, etc) and giving away prizes via WGNAmerica.com, the new website. By the end of the summer, the plan is to introduce an original program. And within 18 months or so, Compton hopes the nation will barely recognize the channel.
We leave you tonight with a reminder. Tonight is the last of the regular season show's, as Lost will ends its season with an all-night event. At 8pm an encore of the previous episodes will air with bonus footage followed by the game changing two-hour season finale from 9-11pm on ABC. It should do big. Only other new programming on the night is summer reality series: So You Think You Can Dance on Fox from 8-10 and Last Comic Standing on NBC from 8:30-10:30pm. Sitcom wise, NBC will wraparound The Office repeats around Comic at 8 and 10:30pm. CBS will encore Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother from 8-9pm. But you should be getting Lost tonight! After tonight, the summer season will really begin since the regular season scripted series will come to an end until the new season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, July 28
The Big Bang Theory - "The Fermentation Bifurcation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
The gang goes to a wine bar and runs into Penny’s old boyfriend, Zack (Brian Thomas Smith). Also, Bernadette gets stuck spending the evening with Sheldon when she can’t go wine tasting with the group, and things don’t go as planned when Koothrappali introduces his new girlfriend, Claire (Alessandra Torresani).
Life in Pieces - "Hair Recital Rainbow Mom" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When John starts feeling old, he attempts to make himself look younger, much to the dismay of his family. Also, Heather worries that Sophia’s piano recital will be a disaster; Jen, Greg and Lark go to an over-the-top birthday party full of overachieving parents who make them panic about getting Lark into a good preschool; and Matt meets Colleen’s mother, Mia (Mercedes Ruehl).
Best Friends Whenever - "Girl Code" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Barry is too busy to help Shelby build her website so she takes matters in to her own hands; Cyd and Naldo win a boat and try to hide it in the backyard.
Thursday, July 28
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer (Broad City) - Abbi and Ilana are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Eric Andre (Man Seeking Woman/2 Broke Girls/Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - Eric appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) and Nick Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Demi and Nick perform Carpool Karaoke on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jillian Bell (Workaholics/Eastbound & Down) - Jillian appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Gillian Jacobs (Love/Commnity) - Gillian is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. She will also be on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Married with Children) - Christina is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS. She will also be on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Sarah Chalke (Scrubs/Roseanne) - Sarah appears on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Anson Williams (Happy Days) - Anson is a guest on a repeat of The Doctors, so check your local listings.
- Anna Gunn (Down the Shore) - Anna talks about her new movie Equity on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- The Cast of Bad Moms) - Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, Kathryn Hahn, Christina Applegate and others will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Ashley Tisdale (Clipped/The Suite Life of Zack & Cody) - Ashley talks about her latest project Amateur Night on People Now at 8:30am.
- Victoria Justice (Victorious/Zoey 101) - Victoria is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Ashley Williams (The Jim Gaffigan Show/Good Morning, Miami) - Ashley is a guest on People Now at 8:30am.