Thursday, May 29, 2008
Now WGN is also planning more theme weeks. The '70s week is the first of many to come. They tentatively have an '80s week planned for July and we could see ALF, Family Ties, and more shows. So stay tuned to that when it is announced! Casey Kasem will be announcing during promos and voice-overs for the theme weeks and the regular Sunday block...how cool!
We will certainly let you know if more of these shows join the actual line-up...so far WKRP is the only one joining the line-up that has aired during a theme week. I wouldn't be surprised though if Newhart is in the '80s week and IF they have a '50s week, The Honeymooners could air in that. And once again all this is not available for the local WGN in Chicago. This is for the national WGN only, the cable version.
Also, the national WGN was called Superstation WGN for many years, but this past Monday they changed their name to WGN America. So, from now on I'll refer WGN to WGN America. The new name and logo was introduced this past Monday and also with the slogan "TV You Can't Ignore." According to the Chicago Tribune, WGN America's new "eyes" logo, which resembles the one used for much of the '90s by cable's The Movie Channel, was the inspiration of Tribune Co. Chief Innovation Officer Lee Abrams. The former radio consultant wanted the channel to look more like an album cover. It resembles the eyes of the woman on Duran Duran's "Rio" album, but Abrams said he was just trying to help the channel break from traditional TV.
Sean Compton, a former Clear Channel exec recruited to tend to Tribune TV programming, meanwhile is repackaging reruns (WKRP, etc) and old movies (Rocky movies, etc) and giving away prizes via WGNAmerica.com, the new website. By the end of the summer, the plan is to introduce an original program. And within 18 months or so, Compton hopes the nation will barely recognize the channel.
We leave you tonight with a reminder. Tonight is the last of the regular season show's, as Lost will ends its season with an all-night event. At 8pm an encore of the previous episodes will air with bonus footage followed by the game changing two-hour season finale from 9-11pm on ABC. It should do big. Only other new programming on the night is summer reality series: So You Think You Can Dance on Fox from 8-10 and Last Comic Standing on NBC from 8:30-10:30pm. Sitcom wise, NBC will wraparound The Office repeats around Comic at 8 and 10:30pm. CBS will encore Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother from 8-9pm. But you should be getting Lost tonight! After tonight, the summer season will really begin since the regular season scripted series will come to an end until the new season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)
07/07 - Archie Bunker's Place - Season One (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season
07/07 - Married with Children - Season Eleven (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Married with Children - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
07/07 - The Michael J. Fox Show - The Complete First Season
07/07 - Playing House - Season 1
07/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
07/14 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season
07/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites - Season 7
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, July 27
2 Broke Girls - "And the Cupcake Captives" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sophie’s wedding shower is interrupted by a hostage situation and Max and Caroline’s cupcake business gets unwanted attention when a tenant is arrested while wearing their company’s T-shirt.
Mike & Molly - "Cocktails and Calamine" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Molly is nervous about Mike attending a celebratory party her publisher puts on for her and Peggy.
Odd Mom Out - "The Truth Fairy" (Bravo, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Brooke and her entourage try to find out who has been too truthful with their children about the world; Jill lies to Vanessa about attending a $3,000-a-plate charity hat luncheon; Andy learns Lex's secret that could destroy the Von Webers.
Monday, July 27
- Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Watch Ellie on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Joanna García Swisher (Animal Practice/Better with You/Reba) - Joanna visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Dove Cameron (Liv and Maddie) - Dove talks about the Disney movie Desendants on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am, on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael (check your listings), and on the AOL Build Show.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Katey Sagal (Married with Children/8 Simple Rules) - Katey appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Will Forte and Kristen Schaal (The Last Man on Earth) - Will and Kristen are guests on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- David Alan Grier (The Carmichael Show/Life with Bonnie/DAG) and
- Loretta Devine (The Carmichael Show/The PJs/A Different World) - David and Loretta are guests on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.