Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Day 24: WGA's Strike; Hallmark Channel Acquires 7th Heaven, Cheers, I Love Lucy; Animated Dennis the Menace to DVD!
Hallmark Channel has just completed a major deal to acquire several award- winning series, including the critically acclaimed 7th Heaven, the ever popular Cheers and classic baby boomer favorite, I Love Lucy, along with additional episodes of Matlock and Touched By An Angel from CBS Television Distribution. The deal also includes rights to 12 off-net holiday movies, including Finding John Christmas, Town Without a Christmas and When Angels Come to Town.
7th Heaven is the first show that will be ready to launch on Hallmark Channel as early as January of 2008 with Cheers having the next window later in 2008 and I Love Lucy in January of 2009. Matlock has been renewed through 2011, with a similar extension for Touched By an Angel.
Now what does this mean for ABC Family still airing 7th Heaven? That fate will be revealed on tomorrow's blog as we announce ABC Family January. Come on back for that...it will include a new show for ABC Family!
As for Cheers and I Love Lucy, Hallmark says it is not an exclusive cable deal, so TV Land could still run it, but Cheers is expiring from TV Land in September 2008 and I Love Lucy expires on TV Land in December 2008, which makes me think TV Land will not renew both series and Hallmark will just air it. That is still awhile away, so we will find out more details soon. I bet Cheers will launch next fall on Hallmark. Anyway, stay tuned for further details! We hope to have the January line-up soon. For now click HERE to view the press release and to discuss this big news!
Finally, a personal favorite of mine, the '80s animated series Dennis the Menace is finally coming to DVD this March! Dennis The Menace: Trouble, Trouble Everywhere debuts on DVD March 18, 2008 from Fox Home Entertainment.
In Dennis The Menace: Trouble, Trouble Everywhere entire nations can't run and hide. If they did, they surely would when lovable troublemaker Dennis Mitchell pays a visit! Like most families, the Mitchells love taking vacations, but wherever they go, young Dennis seems to wind up in the center of numerous hilarious catastrophes. Whether he’s chasing crooks in Venice or kangaroos in Sydney, outrunning Mayans in South America, or bulls in Spain – or even proving that erupting volcanoes in Hawaii wreak less havoc than he does, Dennis is always drawn to find trouble, wherever it is!
I wish it was a full set with full episodes and not just a best of set. I hope this sells well so we can get all of them on DVD in the full form. Episodes on this set are: "Dennis in Venice," "Mayan Mayhem," "The Big Candied Apple," "A Royal Pain," "Dennis and the Kangaroo Cavalry," "Dennis Plasters Pamplona," and "Black and Blue Hawaii."
To read more about this and to discuss this, click HERE!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, July 23
Angel from Hell - "Believe Me, Part 1" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Allison and Amy try to keep Marv from hearing a conversation about guardian angels that they accidentally recorded on his answering machine.
Angel from Hell - "Believe Me, Part 2" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After Amy survives a bus accident, she becomes determined to break up Allison’s friend’s wedding in order to put Allison’s future on track.
The Thundermans - "Can't Spy Me Love" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After seeing a cute guy but missing her chance to meet him, Phoebe accesses the Hero League's villain search software to track him down. However, Phoebe's abuse of power leads to unexpected consequences for her crush that she must prevent.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "A Brief Case of Popularity" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Nicky, Dicky, and Dawn try to get in with the Staircase Kids, the coolest kids in school, but must stop Ricky from making himself, and them by association, look uncool.
Legendary Dudas - "Blazing Pedals; The Chest Hair" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Sam is asked to join his homeroom's bike relay team and he's forced to reveal that he doesn't know how to ride a bike. Sam gains a new confidence when he gets his first chest hair and earns the adoration of his class.
Sunday, July 24
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Catch Michael on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Danny McBride (Vice Principals/Eastbound & Down) - Watch Danny on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Denis Leary (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/The Job) - Denis stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show/Family Guy) - Mila appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Married with Children) - Christina visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Abby Elliott (Odd Mom Out) - Abby stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. She dishes on her upcoming September Wedding on People Now at 8:30am.
- Joe Morton (Grady) - Joe appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Anna Gunn (Down the Shore) - Anna talks about her new movie Equity on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Niecy Nash (The Soul Man/Getting On/Reno 911!) - Niecy guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.