Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Day 24: WGA's Strike; Hallmark Channel Acquires 7th Heaven, Cheers, I Love Lucy; Animated Dennis the Menace to DVD!
Hallmark Channel has just completed a major deal to acquire several award- winning series, including the critically acclaimed 7th Heaven, the ever popular Cheers and classic baby boomer favorite, I Love Lucy, along with additional episodes of Matlock and Touched By An Angel from CBS Television Distribution. The deal also includes rights to 12 off-net holiday movies, including Finding John Christmas, Town Without a Christmas and When Angels Come to Town.
7th Heaven is the first show that will be ready to launch on Hallmark Channel as early as January of 2008 with Cheers having the next window later in 2008 and I Love Lucy in January of 2009. Matlock has been renewed through 2011, with a similar extension for Touched By an Angel.
Now what does this mean for ABC Family still airing 7th Heaven? That fate will be revealed on tomorrow's blog as we announce ABC Family January. Come on back for that...it will include a new show for ABC Family!
As for Cheers and I Love Lucy, Hallmark says it is not an exclusive cable deal, so TV Land could still run it, but Cheers is expiring from TV Land in September 2008 and I Love Lucy expires on TV Land in December 2008, which makes me think TV Land will not renew both series and Hallmark will just air it. That is still awhile away, so we will find out more details soon. I bet Cheers will launch next fall on Hallmark. Anyway, stay tuned for further details! We hope to have the January line-up soon. For now click HERE to view the press release and to discuss this big news!
Finally, a personal favorite of mine, the '80s animated series Dennis the Menace is finally coming to DVD this March! Dennis The Menace: Trouble, Trouble Everywhere debuts on DVD March 18, 2008 from Fox Home Entertainment.
In Dennis The Menace: Trouble, Trouble Everywhere entire nations can't run and hide. If they did, they surely would when lovable troublemaker Dennis Mitchell pays a visit! Like most families, the Mitchells love taking vacations, but wherever they go, young Dennis seems to wind up in the center of numerous hilarious catastrophes. Whether he’s chasing crooks in Venice or kangaroos in Sydney, outrunning Mayans in South America, or bulls in Spain – or even proving that erupting volcanoes in Hawaii wreak less havoc than he does, Dennis is always drawn to find trouble, wherever it is!
I wish it was a full set with full episodes and not just a best of set. I hope this sells well so we can get all of them on DVD in the full form. Episodes on this set are: "Dennis in Venice," "Mayan Mayhem," "The Big Candied Apple," "A Royal Pain," "Dennis and the Kangaroo Cavalry," "Dennis Plasters Pamplona," and "Black and Blue Hawaii."
To read more about this and to discuss this, click HERE!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (November)
11/03 - Californication - The Complete Series
11/03 - Getting On - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
11/03 - Hank (1965-66) - The Complete Series
11/03 - I Love Lucy - The Complete Series
11/03 - Men at Work - The Complete Second Season
11/03 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/03 - 'Til Death - The Complete Third Season
11/10 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Remastered Series (DVD)
11/10 - Maude - The Complete Third Season
11/10 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Final (Fourth) Season
11/17 - Cristela - The Complete First Season
11/17 - McHale's Navy - The Complete Series
11/17 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Fourth Season
11/24 - George Lopez - The Complete Sixth Seaon
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, November 25
The Middle - "Thanksgiving VI" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
The Hecks agree to forgo Thanksgiving after Frankie finds out that she’s out of a job until January and must pick up a holiday position, which requires her to work on Thanksgiving in order to make ends meet. Much to her dismay, she ends up once again having to portray an overworked 19th century woman back at Heritage Village during the Harvest Feast and finds herself going face-to-face with Sheila (Faith Ford), a woman who definitely takes her job too seriously. Meanwhile, Sue goes back to work at Spudsy’s over her holiday break in the hopes that she’ll once again run into Logan – the dreamy Abercrombie guy, Axl finds himself in foreign territory when he starts becoming emotional over how his life has turned out, and Mike and Brick find themselves needing to find a bonding experience when the electricity goes out at the house and they are forced to interact with each other.
The Goldbergs - "A Goldberg Thanksgiving" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
As a bet, Beverly challenges Erica to participate in Jazzercise after she thinks her mom’s obsession is lame. When she wins, Erica decides to opt out of celebrating Thanksgiving, so Beverly must find a way to win her daughter back to celebrate the holiday with the family. Meanwhile, uncle Marvin shows up for his annual visit to the Goldberg home and unexpectedly bonds with Adam, which annoys Murray.
Modern Family - "Three Turkeys" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Phil is cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year with Luke as his sous chef, and Claire has no confidence in them and prepares a secret turkey of her own as backup. Meanwhile, Jay and Gloria had plans to spend the holiday away, but when the trip gets canceled last minute, they decide not to tell anyone, which quickly becomes the worst idea ever since the family dinner gets suddenly moved to their house, and it turns into a mad scramble to cover their tracks. And Mitch is tired of always being the bad cop, so when Lily refuses to wear a nice dress to dinner, he forces Cameron to deal with it, and he comes up with a very unconventional approach.
black-ish - "30 Something" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Things begin to fall apart, in more ways than one, when Dre hurts himself playing basketball right before his 40th birthday. He hands the planning of his big party over to his much younger, hipper assistant, fearing he really is getting too old to be cool. Bow and Ruby face off over who can get Dre the best gift, and the kids try to figure out what to give their dad for his special day.
Talia in the Kitchen - "After the Storm" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Will steals Talia's spices, she hides from the hurricane.until a mysterious boy discovers her.
Wednesday, November 25
- Nathan Lane (Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Watch Nathan on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - Melissa appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- James Van Der Beek (Friends with Better Lives/Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - James is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jay Duplass (Togetherness/Transparent) - Jay appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Vanessa Lachey (Truth Be Told/Dads) - Vanessa and FABLife stylists put audience members to the test with a Thanksgiving preparation trivia challenge and turkey bowling competition for prizes on FABLife, so check your local listings.
- Marlo Thomas (That Girl) - Marlo talks about the fight against cancer in children and her Thanksgiving tribute to her dear friend Robin Williams on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Greg Evigan (My Two Dads) - Greg and his daughter Briana talk about the new Hallmark Channel original movie Once Upon a Holiday on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John O'Hurley (Seinfeld/The Mullets) - John talks about The National Dog Show on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Marlo Thomas (That Girl) - Marlo appears on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly talk about starring in the upcoming holiday movie Angel of Christmas on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace is tentatively scheduled to appear on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Maura Tierney (NewsRadio) - Maura appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.