Saturday, July 07, 2007
Saturday, July 7, 2007
"No Creativity in Summer TV Programming"
By Solomon Davis
Just because we have turned on the air conditioner, and go to work with less clothes on doesn't mean that summer TV shows should lack creativity. Don't these network executives know that we still want to be entertained in July like we do in September? Maybe they don't since most of the shows seem to be just a bunch of ideas thrown together and added to the summer schedule. New sitcom House of Payne on TBS is definitely a TV show that screams "no creativity" when trying to watch this poor example of a comedy.
TBS has no clue that this comedy disaster is taking up space on the Wednesday night schedule. One of the reasons it's a disaster is because the laugh track is barely heard when watching the show. Not only that, when the laugh track is heard, it is always during the most unfunny moments. And the uncle in this show is a poor man's James Evans and is a complete and total fool. He is always in a bad mood and it's never explained why, which makes a viewer think "is he mad because he is ugly?"
At least we knew that James Evans on Good Times was in a bad mood because of unemployment and not having much money. Basically it is a show that is a "Payneful" sitcom to watch at 9pm on Wednesday nights.
Then there are the reality shows that makes you say, "who thought of this mess?" The new dating show called Age of Love on NBC involves a 30 year old guy trying to determine if love is ageless and dates women in their 20's and 40's to come to that conclusion. So you basically have 20 grown women competing for one guy and I'm sure some of them have kids which is probably very embarrassing. Especially when one of the women is eliminated and they start to cry on their way out the door. Would love to know who the genius is who thought of this dating show? I'm not sure if the show will prove that love is ageless but it definitely proves that every Monday at 9pm on NBC, that this show is STUPID.
Let's not forget the dull show America's Got Talent hosted by Jerry Springer. Just another freak show like his daytime show aired at NIGHT TIME. Was Jerry Springer supposed to be different since it's on NBC? You still see odd people doing stupid things but now they are just trying to show America they have talent. Not only do these people have zero talent, the people who run NBC have no talent in creatively entertaining us viewers.
The producer of the MTV show Yo Momma shows his lack of creativity every week when trying to make us laugh. This show travels to different cities to find people who can tell the best "momma jokes." But after a while the momma jokes gets old and the show becomes boring and unwatchable. The producer of this show needs to start having people tell jokes about each other's appearance which would add new jokes on the show instead of the same ole "YO MOMMA IS SO..." So we should just start unplugging our TV sets in the summer time and wait for Labor Day to pass because these summer shows are never going to change. I may pitch a new TV show to the networks tomorrow called The Next Worst Thing: What Network Has the Most Uncreative TV Shows?
Agree or disagree with Solomon? Discuss it here.
DISCLAIMER: Remember, Solomon is not the voice of SitcomsOnline. He is just stating his opinions and does not reflect what SitcomsOnline says or thinks. It is just his 'View' but it is always quite entertaining.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (November)
11/03 - Californication - The Complete Series
11/03 - Getting On - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
11/03 - Hank (1965-66) - The Complete Series
11/03 - I Love Lucy - The Complete Series
11/03 - Men at Work - The Complete Second Season
11/03 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/03 - 'Til Death - The Complete Third Season
11/10 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Remastered Series (DVD)
11/10 - Maude - The Complete Third Season
11/10 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Final (Fourth) Season
11/17 - The Comedians - The Complete Series
11/17 - Cristela - The Complete First Season
11/17 - McHale's Navy - The Complete Series
11/17 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Fourth Season
11/17 - Weird Loners - The Complete Series
11/24 - George Lopez - The Complete Sixth Seaon
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, November 28
Henry Danger - "Christmas Danger" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man gets arrested for committing a petty crime, he is forced to spend Christmas in jail. Henry and Charlotte must try to help Captain Man have a good Christmas in jail.
Game Shakers - "A Reggae Potato Christmas" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Game Shakers visit Double G on the set of his live, self-indulgent "Double G's Christmas Special." During the opening number, his hair catches on fire and they must finish the show without him.
Monday, November 30
- Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Aziz The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Richard Kind (Spin City/Mad About You) - Richard is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alan Tudyk (Suburgatory) - Alan appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Brent Morin and Rick Glassman (Undateable) - Brent and Rick are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Kim Fields (The Facts of Life/Living Single) - Kim dishes on the new season of The Real Housewives of Atlanta and talks about why she decided to join the show on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Scott Foley (The Goodwin Games/A.U.S.A./Scrubs) - Scott drops by The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America talks about her new series Superstore on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Bob Saget (Fuller House/How I Met Your Mother/Full House) - Bob is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Cheryl Hines (Curb Your Enthusiasm/Suburgatory) - Cheryl talks about her movie Christmas Eve on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.