Saturday, July 07, 2007
Saturday, July 7, 2007
"No Creativity in Summer TV Programming"
By Solomon Davis
Just because we have turned on the air conditioner, and go to work with less clothes on doesn't mean that summer TV shows should lack creativity. Don't these network executives know that we still want to be entertained in July like we do in September? Maybe they don't since most of the shows seem to be just a bunch of ideas thrown together and added to the summer schedule. New sitcom House of Payne on TBS is definitely a TV show that screams "no creativity" when trying to watch this poor example of a comedy.
TBS has no clue that this comedy disaster is taking up space on the Wednesday night schedule. One of the reasons it's a disaster is because the laugh track is barely heard when watching the show. Not only that, when the laugh track is heard, it is always during the most unfunny moments. And the uncle in this show is a poor man's James Evans and is a complete and total fool. He is always in a bad mood and it's never explained why, which makes a viewer think "is he mad because he is ugly?"
At least we knew that James Evans on Good Times was in a bad mood because of unemployment and not having much money. Basically it is a show that is a "Payneful" sitcom to watch at 9pm on Wednesday nights.
Then there are the reality shows that makes you say, "who thought of this mess?" The new dating show called Age of Love on NBC involves a 30 year old guy trying to determine if love is ageless and dates women in their 20's and 40's to come to that conclusion. So you basically have 20 grown women competing for one guy and I'm sure some of them have kids which is probably very embarrassing. Especially when one of the women is eliminated and they start to cry on their way out the door. Would love to know who the genius is who thought of this dating show? I'm not sure if the show will prove that love is ageless but it definitely proves that every Monday at 9pm on NBC, that this show is STUPID.
Let's not forget the dull show America's Got Talent hosted by Jerry Springer. Just another freak show like his daytime show aired at NIGHT TIME. Was Jerry Springer supposed to be different since it's on NBC? You still see odd people doing stupid things but now they are just trying to show America they have talent. Not only do these people have zero talent, the people who run NBC have no talent in creatively entertaining us viewers.
The producer of the MTV show Yo Momma shows his lack of creativity every week when trying to make us laugh. This show travels to different cities to find people who can tell the best "momma jokes." But after a while the momma jokes gets old and the show becomes boring and unwatchable. The producer of this show needs to start having people tell jokes about each other's appearance which would add new jokes on the show instead of the same ole "YO MOMMA IS SO..." So we should just start unplugging our TV sets in the summer time and wait for Labor Day to pass because these summer shows are never going to change. I may pitch a new TV show to the networks tomorrow called The Next Worst Thing: What Network Has the Most Uncreative TV Shows?
Agree or disagree with Solomon? Discuss it here.
DISCLAIMER: Remember, Solomon is not the voice of SitcomsOnline. He is just stating his opinions and does not reflect what SitcomsOnline says or thinks. It is just his 'View' but it is always quite entertaining.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - TARGET="_blank">Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 25
Sunday, October 26
- The Cast of A Different World - The cast of A Different World reunites on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 9pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Amy on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Melissa visits Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Ray appears on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Norman Lear (Producer of All in the Family/Sanford and Son/The Jeffersons) - Norman chats on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Rob Corddry (The Winner/Ben and Kate) - Rob is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Andrea Martin (Working the Engels) - Andrea stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Laurence Fisburne (black-ish) - Laurence chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sean Hayes (The Millers/Sean Saves the World/Will & Grace) - Sean is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah dishes about a red carpet celebrity mix up and opens up about the adversity she's facing in her personal life on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Vivica A. Fox (Out All Night) - Vivica reveals which actor was the worst kisser and why she chose to throw herself an outrageous 50th birthday party on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso drops by The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Haley Joel Osment (Thunder Alley/The Jeff Foxworthy Show) - Haley Joel will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Zendaya (Shake It Up) - Zendaya is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Kieran Culkin (Go Fish) - Kieran will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.