Saturday, July 07, 2007
Saturday, July 7, 2007
"No Creativity in Summer TV Programming"
By Solomon Davis
Just because we have turned on the air conditioner, and go to work with less clothes on doesn't mean that summer TV shows should lack creativity. Don't these network executives know that we still want to be entertained in July like we do in September? Maybe they don't since most of the shows seem to be just a bunch of ideas thrown together and added to the summer schedule. New sitcom House of Payne on TBS is definitely a TV show that screams "no creativity" when trying to watch this poor example of a comedy.
TBS has no clue that this comedy disaster is taking up space on the Wednesday night schedule. One of the reasons it's a disaster is because the laugh track is barely heard when watching the show. Not only that, when the laugh track is heard, it is always during the most unfunny moments. And the uncle in this show is a poor man's James Evans and is a complete and total fool. He is always in a bad mood and it's never explained why, which makes a viewer think "is he mad because he is ugly?"
At least we knew that James Evans on Good Times was in a bad mood because of unemployment and not having much money. Basically it is a show that is a "Payneful" sitcom to watch at 9pm on Wednesday nights.
Then there are the reality shows that makes you say, "who thought of this mess?" The new dating show called Age of Love on NBC involves a 30 year old guy trying to determine if love is ageless and dates women in their 20's and 40's to come to that conclusion. So you basically have 20 grown women competing for one guy and I'm sure some of them have kids which is probably very embarrassing. Especially when one of the women is eliminated and they start to cry on their way out the door. Would love to know who the genius is who thought of this dating show? I'm not sure if the show will prove that love is ageless but it definitely proves that every Monday at 9pm on NBC, that this show is STUPID.
Let's not forget the dull show America's Got Talent hosted by Jerry Springer. Just another freak show like his daytime show aired at NIGHT TIME. Was Jerry Springer supposed to be different since it's on NBC? You still see odd people doing stupid things but now they are just trying to show America they have talent. Not only do these people have zero talent, the people who run NBC have no talent in creatively entertaining us viewers.
The producer of the MTV show Yo Momma shows his lack of creativity every week when trying to make us laugh. This show travels to different cities to find people who can tell the best "momma jokes." But after a while the momma jokes gets old and the show becomes boring and unwatchable. The producer of this show needs to start having people tell jokes about each other's appearance which would add new jokes on the show instead of the same ole "YO MOMMA IS SO..." So we should just start unplugging our TV sets in the summer time and wait for Labor Day to pass because these summer shows are never going to change. I may pitch a new TV show to the networks tomorrow called The Next Worst Thing: What Network Has the Most Uncreative TV Shows?
Agree or disagree with Solomon? Discuss it here.
DISCLAIMER: Remember, Solomon is not the voice of SitcomsOnline. He is just stating his opinions and does not reflect what SitcomsOnline says or thinks. It is just his 'View' but it is always quite entertaining.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)
07/07 - Archie Bunker's Place - Season One (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season
07/07 - Married with Children - Season Eleven (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Married with Children - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
07/07 - The Michael J. Fox Show - The Complete First Season
07/07 - Playing House - Season 1
07/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
07/14 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season
07/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites - Season 7
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, July 31
Bunk'd - "Welcome to Camp Kikiwaka" (Disney Channel, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Upon arriving at camp, the Ross kids discover that the camp owner, Gladys, is scarier than the legendary creature haunting the grounds; Gladys' old rivalry with the kids' mom sparks her fury.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Vegas" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Troy and Danny inevitably do something stupid in Las Vegas.
Friday, July 31
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Watch Ed on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Brie Larson (United States of Tara/Raising Dad) - Brie is a guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Carla Gugino (The Brink/Spin City) - Tune in to see Carla on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) - Jim appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Bridgit Mendler (Undateable/Good Luck Charlie) - Bridgit is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- George Lopez (George Lopez/Saint George) - George talks about his movie Spare Parts on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Laurence Fishburne (black-ish) - Laurence appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Rocky Carroll (Roc) - Rocky is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Jesse/Married with Children) - Christina can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM Hits 1.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David dishes on his new book, new music, and new show on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Brooke Burns (Miss Guided/Out of the Blue) - Brooke discusses her upcoming ing Hallmark Movies & Mysteries original Gourmet Detective: A Healthy Place to Die on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Margaret Cho (All-American Girl) - Margaret is a guest on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Michael joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Denis Leary (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/The Job) - Denis is a guest on Popcorn with Peter Travers on ABC News.
- Michael Rosenbaum (Impastor/Breaking In) - Michael will be on People Now.
- Damon Wayans, Jr. (New Girl/Happy Endings) - Damon appears on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.