Saturday, July 07, 2007
Saturday, July 7, 2007
"No Creativity in Summer TV Programming"
By Solomon Davis
Just because we have turned on the air conditioner, and go to work with less clothes on doesn't mean that summer TV shows should lack creativity. Don't these network executives know that we still want to be entertained in July like we do in September? Maybe they don't since most of the shows seem to be just a bunch of ideas thrown together and added to the summer schedule. New sitcom House of Payne on TBS is definitely a TV show that screams "no creativity" when trying to watch this poor example of a comedy.
TBS has no clue that this comedy disaster is taking up space on the Wednesday night schedule. One of the reasons it's a disaster is because the laugh track is barely heard when watching the show. Not only that, when the laugh track is heard, it is always during the most unfunny moments. And the uncle in this show is a poor man's James Evans and is a complete and total fool. He is always in a bad mood and it's never explained why, which makes a viewer think "is he mad because he is ugly?"
At least we knew that James Evans on Good Times was in a bad mood because of unemployment and not having much money. Basically it is a show that is a "Payneful" sitcom to watch at 9pm on Wednesday nights.
Then there are the reality shows that makes you say, "who thought of this mess?" The new dating show called Age of Love on NBC involves a 30 year old guy trying to determine if love is ageless and dates women in their 20's and 40's to come to that conclusion. So you basically have 20 grown women competing for one guy and I'm sure some of them have kids which is probably very embarrassing. Especially when one of the women is eliminated and they start to cry on their way out the door. Would love to know who the genius is who thought of this dating show? I'm not sure if the show will prove that love is ageless but it definitely proves that every Monday at 9pm on NBC, that this show is STUPID.
Let's not forget the dull show America's Got Talent hosted by Jerry Springer. Just another freak show like his daytime show aired at NIGHT TIME. Was Jerry Springer supposed to be different since it's on NBC? You still see odd people doing stupid things but now they are just trying to show America they have talent. Not only do these people have zero talent, the people who run NBC have no talent in creatively entertaining us viewers.
The producer of the MTV show Yo Momma shows his lack of creativity every week when trying to make us laugh. This show travels to different cities to find people who can tell the best "momma jokes." But after a while the momma jokes gets old and the show becomes boring and unwatchable. The producer of this show needs to start having people tell jokes about each other's appearance which would add new jokes on the show instead of the same ole "YO MOMMA IS SO..." So we should just start unplugging our TV sets in the summer time and wait for Labor Day to pass because these summer shows are never going to change. I may pitch a new TV show to the networks tomorrow called The Next Worst Thing: What Network Has the Most Uncreative TV Shows?
Agree or disagree with Solomon? Discuss it here.
DISCLAIMER: Remember, Solomon is not the voice of SitcomsOnline. He is just stating his opinions and does not reflect what SitcomsOnline says or thinks. It is just his 'View' but it is always quite entertaining.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 18
Married - "Family Day" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
When Russ, Lina, and Jess visit AJ at rehab, everyone's issues come to a head.
You're the Worst - "Fists and Feet and Stuff" (FX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Jimmy and Gretchen take their relationship to the next level.
Love That Girl - "The Buckin' Don't Stop Here" (TV One, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Imunique drives Latrell to his commercial audition and ends up landing the role he was going in for.
Thursday, September 18
- Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory/8 Simple Rules) - Catch Kaley on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Anthony Anderson (Black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Billy Crystal (Soap) - Billy stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Téa Leoni (The Naked Truth/Flying Blind) - Téa talks about her new series Madam Secretary on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings. She will also be on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Jason visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil talks about his recent wedding in Italy and his return to Broadway on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly and her husband Rodney Peete discuss their latest projects on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Katherine LaNasa (Three Sisters) - Katherine talks about her new series Satisfaction on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Nicole Ari Parker (Second Time Around) - Nicole and her husband Boris Kodjoe join the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Dawn Wells (Gilligan's Island) - Dawn discusses her new book (What Would Mary Ann Do? A Guide to Life) on the following radio networks:
8:00 WMMR Philadelphia Preston and Steve
8:08 KSCH Dallas Rod and Dave
8:16 WHBO/WHOO Tampa/Orlando Matthew Sardo and Amanda Borges
8:24 WLAD Danbury, CT Bart Busterna
8:32 CFRB Toronto John Moore
8:40 KFNS St. Louis Chris and DC
8:48 WHQG Milwaukee Bob & Brian
8:56 WOC Cedar Rapids-Davenport, IA Steve and Dan
9:04 WCOL Columbus Woody, Zuko and Kayla
9:12 IHeartRadio-4 networks NY-Charlotte-DC-Phoenix Arroe Collins
9:20 KRLD Dallas Mitch Carr
9:28 KXRK Salt Lake City Kerry Bill and Gina
9:36 WTRC South Bend Mark McGill
9:52 KNLV Lincoln, NE JJ Johnnie James
10:00 KZPS Dallas Bo Roberts and Jim White
10:08 WDHA NY-Metro Jim Monaghan and Kim Mulligan
10:16 WUSN Chicago Ray & Lisa
10:24 Premiere Prep National Mike McCann
10:32 WLTW New York Bob Bronson & Christine Nagy
10:40 WOR New York, NY Mark Simone
10:48 KZRR Albuquerque Swami Rob, Skyler and Mahoney
10:56 WRNQ Poughkeepsie Joe Daily
1:25pm Arrival - 3:00pm (EST): CONFIRMED
Interview - Sirius Radio (National)
Interviewer - 1:40-2:00 - Freewheelin' - LIVE