Saturday, July 07, 2007
Saturday, July 7, 2007
"No Creativity in Summer TV Programming"
By Solomon Davis
Just because we have turned on the air conditioner, and go to work with less clothes on doesn't mean that summer TV shows should lack creativity. Don't these network executives know that we still want to be entertained in July like we do in September? Maybe they don't since most of the shows seem to be just a bunch of ideas thrown together and added to the summer schedule. New sitcom House of Payne on TBS is definitely a TV show that screams "no creativity" when trying to watch this poor example of a comedy.
TBS has no clue that this comedy disaster is taking up space on the Wednesday night schedule. One of the reasons it's a disaster is because the laugh track is barely heard when watching the show. Not only that, when the laugh track is heard, it is always during the most unfunny moments. And the uncle in this show is a poor man's James Evans and is a complete and total fool. He is always in a bad mood and it's never explained why, which makes a viewer think "is he mad because he is ugly?"
At least we knew that James Evans on Good Times was in a bad mood because of unemployment and not having much money. Basically it is a show that is a "Payneful" sitcom to watch at 9pm on Wednesday nights.
Then there are the reality shows that makes you say, "who thought of this mess?" The new dating show called Age of Love on NBC involves a 30 year old guy trying to determine if love is ageless and dates women in their 20's and 40's to come to that conclusion. So you basically have 20 grown women competing for one guy and I'm sure some of them have kids which is probably very embarrassing. Especially when one of the women is eliminated and they start to cry on their way out the door. Would love to know who the genius is who thought of this dating show? I'm not sure if the show will prove that love is ageless but it definitely proves that every Monday at 9pm on NBC, that this show is STUPID.
Let's not forget the dull show America's Got Talent hosted by Jerry Springer. Just another freak show like his daytime show aired at NIGHT TIME. Was Jerry Springer supposed to be different since it's on NBC? You still see odd people doing stupid things but now they are just trying to show America they have talent. Not only do these people have zero talent, the people who run NBC have no talent in creatively entertaining us viewers.
The producer of the MTV show Yo Momma shows his lack of creativity every week when trying to make us laugh. This show travels to different cities to find people who can tell the best "momma jokes." But after a while the momma jokes gets old and the show becomes boring and unwatchable. The producer of this show needs to start having people tell jokes about each other's appearance which would add new jokes on the show instead of the same ole "YO MOMMA IS SO..." So we should just start unplugging our TV sets in the summer time and wait for Labor Day to pass because these summer shows are never going to change. I may pitch a new TV show to the networks tomorrow called The Next Worst Thing: What Network Has the Most Uncreative TV Shows?
Agree or disagree with Solomon? Discuss it here.
DISCLAIMER: Remember, Solomon is not the voice of SitcomsOnline. He is just stating his opinions and does not reflect what SitcomsOnline says or thinks. It is just his 'View' but it is always quite entertaining.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - Season Seven - The Farewell Season
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series
06/02 - Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
06/02 - The Abbott and Costello Show - The Ultimate Collection
06/09 - The Facts of Life - Season Six
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 7 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 7 & 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series
06/16 - The Odd Couple - The Complete Series
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Twelfth and Final Season
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Series
06/23 - George Lopez - The Complete Fourth Season
06/23 - Workaholics - Season Five (Blu-ray)
06/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 3 (MPI Home Video)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, July 1
The Middle - "Valentine's Day VI" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Valentine’s Day aims its sights on the Heck kids when a nervous Brick finds out that his quirky girlfriend Cindy wants him to kiss her on the special day, Darrin asks Frankie and Mike to help out with an exciting scavenger hunt he’s putting together for Sue, and Axl begins to question his girlfriend Devin’s request that he not give her anything for what she considers to be a lame tradition.
The Goldbergs - "Just Say No" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
As the presidential election approaches, Erica finds herself strongly supporting candidate Walter Mondale. After learning Beverly always votes for whomever Murray tells her to vote for, Erica sets out to educate her mother and goes horribly wrong when Beverly favors another candidate. Meanwhile, Barry wants to appear on an athletic game show to prove his prowess after losing a wrestling match.
Modern Family - "Rash Decisions" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Phil is starting to feel the teenage cold shoulder from Luke, and with Andy hanging around a lot recently as his apprentice, he easily steps in as his new right hand man. Meanwhile, Gloria and the doctors suspect that Joe might be allergic to Stella which leaves Jay in a very tough predicament, and Mitchell is doing some freelance legal work at Jay’s closet company and working with Claire becomes a very enlightening experience for the both of them.
black-ish - "Martin Luther Skiing Day" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
On the way to the Johnson family’s annual MLK holiday ski trip, Dre realizes his children may not know the significance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. so he decides to inundate them with Dr. King history facts. Once they arrive at the ski lodge, Dre finds a unique way to prepare Junior for a real world that includes intolerance.
Melissa & Joey "The Parent Trap" (ABC Family, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mel's father and Joe's mother hit it off better than Mel would like; Lennox and Zander explore being ``friends with benefits.''
Baby Daddy - "Wheeler War" (ABC Family, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Ben tries to sabotage Ross and Riley's relationship by turning his charming adversary into a Wheeler; Bonnie attempts to join the boys' poker game.
Wednesday, July 1
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Watch Adrian on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Aasif Mandvi (The Brink) - Aasif appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Brian Posehn (The Sarah Silverman Program/Just Shoot Me!) - Brian is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Arden Myrin (Working/Suburgatory) - Arden will be on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) - Amy talks about the new Pixar film Inside Out on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Yvette Nicle Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti chats on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT and on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Mario is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami/Fired Up) - Mark appears on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada talks about Magic Mike XL on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Dawn Wells (Gilligan's Island) - Steve Harvey sets up Dawn on a date on a repeat of Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM Hits 1.