Wednesday, June 20, 2007
As good as the title may have been, it also drew on the first lines of the classic Dr. Seuss work "Green Eggs and Ham." It's believed the Seuss estate didn't take kindly to ABC's literary allusion.
So now, ABC has opted to call the show Samantha Be Good.
The new title may not have the same ring as Sam I Am, but it still reflects one of the show's themes. Turns out that, before she lost her memory, Applegate's character was a not very nice person. Now that she's got a chance to start over, she'll be trying to be good.
I have seen the pilot, it is quite good. Look for our review later this summer, as we get closer to the fall season.
Moving on to new summer series news, in addition to all the new summer series airing already, CBS, Fox and ABC will have one more each. Let's start with Fox. Fox will add a new talent game show starting July 10. Wayne Brady will host this series that will be called Don't Forget the Lyrics!. The half-hour series will air twice a week--Wednesdays at 9:30PM and Thursdays at 8:30PM. Contestants will choose songs from different genres, decades and musical artists. Then they'll take center stage to sing alongside the studio band as the lyrics are projected on screen but suddenly the music will stop and the words will disappear. Will the contestants belt out the correct missing lyric, or freeze under pressure?
Moving on to ABC, they will launch a new hidden-camera comedy type show called Just for Laughs on Tuesday, July 17. Comedian Sinbad will host. It is based on the popular Canadian series by the same name. ABC will air this series Tuesdays at 8:30PM following encores of George Lopez. The premiere episode will be from 8 to 9PM however.
Finally, CBS will launch a new game show in August hosted by Drew Carey. So we are three for three in brand name hosts today. Power Of 10, a high-stakes, primetime game show where contestants compete for the chance to win $10 million, will have a special broadcast premiere on Tuesday, Aug. 7 at 8:00PM. The series then moves to its regular time period on Wednesday, Aug. 8 at 8:00PM. The contestant who can most accurately predict the American public's response to intriguing poll questions could walk away winning millions. Power Of 10 reaches out across America to poll thousands of people and ask them, well, just about everything - from "What percentage of Americans said they were virgins the day they got married?" to "How many Americans believe they are smarter than president George W. Bush?" Each week contestants will be tested to see if they have their finger on the pulse of the people and can accurately predict the results of the nationwide surveys. With the first question worth $1,000 and only five questions to answer, and each one increasing 10 times in value, the contestant who has the best take on the American mindset could walk away with a $10 million payday.
Finally, we detailed ION Television's July line-up nearly two weeks ago, but today they issued a press release on their new RHI Weekend programming that will start June 29 airing Fridays, Saturdays, & Sundays from 7-11PM. RHI’s exciting lineup of programming for ION will include the creation of exclusive original programming as well as quality library titles. The first of 12 originals is Killer Wave, an action-packed thriller in which nature’s deadliest ocean phenomenon-massive tidal waves-meet the dark nature of man by way of a terrorist plot.
The premiere of RHI/ION weekend features Broken Vows (Friday, June 29), starring Tommy Lee Jones and Annette O’Toole; Lonesome Dove, a digitally re-mastered edition of the blockbuster miniseries whose all-star cast includes Robert Duvall, Anjelica Huston, Tommy Lee Jones, Diane Lane, Danny Glover and Chris Cooper; and Cleopatra, the lavish miniseries that stars Timothy Dalton and Billy Zane, with Leonor Varela in the title role.
For the entire press release highlight click HERE.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/05 - 10 Items or Less - The Complete Series
04/05 - Episodes - The Fourth Season
04/05 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season One
04/12 - Family Matters - The Complete Sixth Season
04/12 - Grace and Frankie - Season One
04/12 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete Second Season
04/19 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/19 - Veep - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
04/26 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official First Season
04/26 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Six
04/26 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series
04/26 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Second Season
04/29 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 29
Bunk'd - "Bride and Doom" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The campers learn about the ghost that haunts Kikiwaka; a camp wedding may be the way to rid the camp of her spirit.
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck in the Mother's Day Gift" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Instead of including the rest of her siblings, Harley decides to go solo on her Mother's Day Gift idea.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "It's a Woman's World" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Leslie and Joseph make assumptions about the other's job.
Friday, April 29
- Don Cheadle (House of Lies/The Golden Palace) - Watch Don on repeats of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC and The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Juliette Lewis (I Married Dora) - Juliette appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Amanda Peet (Togetherness/Bent) - Amanda is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Garry Marshall (Creator of Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley/Mork & Mindy) - Garry talks about Mother's Day on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Nia Long (Uncle Buck/The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Nia talks about Keanu on NBC's Today in the 10am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Dave Coulier (Fulller House/Full House) - David is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Geena Davis (The Geena Davis Show/Buffalo Bill) - Geena and Susan Sarandon reunite to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Thelma & Louise on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu talks about Changing Normal on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Tia Mowry-Hardict (Instant Mom/The Game/Sister, Sister) - Tia is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Ariana Neal (Nicki) - Ariana appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) and Jason Sudeikis (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Jennifer and Jason talk about Mother's Day on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.