Saturday, May 19, 2007
Kyle XY: The Complete First Season - Declassified (Buena Vista, $39.99) brings all ten episodes from the first season of the highest rated original series in ABC Family Channel's history! When a boy emerges from the forest with no recollection of who he is, a kind social worker takes him into her family and everyone wants to know: who is Kyle XY? As the Trager family works to help Kyle discover his world, they must also address the truths in their own lives as they struggle to adjust to the newest member of their family. TV's most compelling new family drama comes to DVD in a 3-disc set features each thrilling first season episodes as well as bonus features that reveal more than ever about the remarkable boy named Kyle. Only on DVD can you get declassified show secrets and an exclusive alternate season pilot and extended season finale.
You will be hooked and want to watch each episode in order because it is very entertaining and interesting. So all 10 are memorable to me, but the ones that stand out are the "Pilot," "Diving In," and "End Game." Each episode runs approx. between 43-45 minutes (highest being 44:43 and lowest being 42:53). There are about 8 or 9 chapter stops per episode and the video and audio is superb, as it should be. The video is in widescreen and for those who watched it on ABC Family, will like it even more this way! Packaging has a nice outer box with Kyle showing he has no belly-button on the front cover...the back cover has tons of information and more pictures. Inside the box is the digipak case. All three discs are inside. There are three panels, the first panel holds an ad for season two coming this summer on television and a coupon for Sour Patch candy...if you watched the show, this product is featured in many episodes. The second panel holds discs one and two...overlapping each other. The third panel has the final disc. Disc art is cool, with Kyle on disc one (same art as cover), disc two has the entire family, and disc thee has another shot of Kyle. The episodes per disc are four each, but the final disc has two episodes and the extras.
The menu screen has Play All, Episode Selection, Set Up, Audio Commentary, Sneak Peeks, and Bonus Features. The first three are on each disc. Audio Commentary and Sneak Peeks are just on disc one and Bonus Features is just on disc three. The main menu has a nice piano type music playing in the background with nice clips playing, with some white confetti type thing on the clips. It looks classical. The selector is cool, when we point to an option, the wordings below the actual wording turns upside down. Auto previews playing before the menu comes on disc one (they are the same previews as in sneak peeks). Set Up has where you can choosewhich language (English or Spanish) and subtitles (English, Spanish, or French).
Moving on to the extras. Disc one has the audio commentaries. "Pilot" has commentaries from Matt Dallas (Kyle), Eric Brass (co-creator), David Himelfarb (executive producer) and Julie Plec (producer). "Diving In" has commentaries from Matt Dallas (Kyle), April Matson (Lori), and Julie Plec (producer).
Then on disc three we have the remaining extras. An alternate pilot episode that runs 41:44. It has a different voice of Kyle with the narration, different opening credits, and more. Interesting to see. Then we have the extended season finale ("End Game"). It runs 45:39, so we get over a minute or so of new material. They should have given us deleted scenes instead, I guess. Finally, we have a featurette called "Kyle XY Declassified." It runs 18:02. The first 14 minutes or so it declassifies for us what happened in the first season, via clips and narration. The final four minutes or so has cast and crew interviews about season two, which is well underway. Season 2 premieres June 11 at 8pm on ABC Family! The extras are good, but they could have been a bit better...especially since BV usually gives a whole bunch of extras on their current series.
I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. And if you never have watched the show, pick this set up...this is the best basic cable series EVER! I am hooked and I cannot wait to watch the second season. It has comedy, drama, action, science fiction, and everything you can imagine. It is a fun show not just for families, but everyone. So, pick-up this set and join Kyle and the Trager family try to find out who he is!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Kyle XY TV.com Page
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/07 - Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season
04/07 - The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series
04/07 - The Crazy Ones - The Complete First Season
04/07 - Frasier - The Complete Series
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 9th Season
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 10th Season
04/07 - 1600 Penn - The Complete Season 1
04/07 - Wanda at Large - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
04/07 - Wilfred - The Complete Season 4
04/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
04/21 - What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
04/28 - I Love Lucy - I Love Mom Edition
04/28 - The Jeffersons - Season Seven
04/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites: Season 5
04/28 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 28
New Girl - "Panty Gate" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Schmidt takes the fall to help Fawn out of a political scandal. Meanwhile, Jess declares herself a “love doctor” and Coach faces a life-changing decision with May.
Weird Loners - "The Weirdfather" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Stosh and Eric visit Stosh’s 12-year-old son, Frank, for the first time, and they bond over watching “The Godfather.” Meanwhile, Caryn becomes clingy and overbearing in her friendship with Zara.
Undataeable - "A Sibling Rivalry Walks Into a Bar" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
After Danny (Chris D'Elia) sets Leslie (Bianca Kajlich) up on a horrible blind date, Justin (Brent Morin) steps up when she needs a date to a work event. To prove he is a good brother, Danny makes his case to accompany Leslie. Meanwhile, Shelly (Ron Funches) helps Burski (Rick Glassman) get a cheap suit so he can impress Leslie.
One Big Happy - "Wedlocked" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Luke (Nick Zano) learns about a secret that Prudence (Kelly Brook) has been keeping from everyone, he disappears - leaving both their future and her immigration status in serious jeopardy. While Lizzy (Elisha Cuthbert) attempts to console Prudence and fix the situation, Luke hits the bars with Markus (Brandon Smith). And when all looks lost, Lizzy jumps in with a big, bold solution that will catch everyone by surprise.
Your Family or Mine - "The Will" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Gil's aunt dies, but nobody liked her until they find out she was leaving beh ind a potential fortune in her will. Oliver and Kelli scramble to find a way out when Shawni asks them to be her horrible son's guardians.
Younger - "Shedonism" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Liza gets to prove herself when Diana tasks her with running a book launch party for a notoriously demanding author. Maggie runs into an old crush, who's finally single, while Kelsey starts to fall for her new author, who's not.
Mann & Wife - "The Ex-Mann" (Bounce TV, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Daniel's ex-wife, Michelle, comes to visit and the family anxiously awaits her arrival; Michael's girlfriend has Daniel worried.
Tuesday, April 28
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Catch Patricia on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie) - Edie visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael is a guest on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Faris (Mom) - Anna stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Linda Cardellini (The Good Family/Guys Like Us) - Linda visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Stephen Tobolowsky (Californication) - Stephen is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zach Woods (Playing House/Silicon Valley/The Office) - Zach drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mo'Nique (The Parkers) - Mo'Nique opens up about why she believes she was blackballed by Hollywood after her Oscar win and more on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) and Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Anthony and Tracee are guests on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Tahj Mowry (Baby Daddy/Smart Guy) - Tahj is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings. He shares the latest, including his role on ABC Family's comedy series Baby Daddy, his transition into music and his upcoming debut album on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Tom Arnold (Sin City Saints/Tom/The Tom Show/Roseanne) - Tom talks about Any Day and Sin City Saints on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Yara Shahidi (black-ish) - Yara is a guest on People Now.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe appears on People Now.