Saturday, May 19, 2007
Kyle XY: The Complete First Season - Declassified (Buena Vista, $39.99) brings all ten episodes from the first season of the highest rated original series in ABC Family Channel's history! When a boy emerges from the forest with no recollection of who he is, a kind social worker takes him into her family and everyone wants to know: who is Kyle XY? As the Trager family works to help Kyle discover his world, they must also address the truths in their own lives as they struggle to adjust to the newest member of their family. TV's most compelling new family drama comes to DVD in a 3-disc set features each thrilling first season episodes as well as bonus features that reveal more than ever about the remarkable boy named Kyle. Only on DVD can you get declassified show secrets and an exclusive alternate season pilot and extended season finale.
You will be hooked and want to watch each episode in order because it is very entertaining and interesting. So all 10 are memorable to me, but the ones that stand out are the "Pilot," "Diving In," and "End Game." Each episode runs approx. between 43-45 minutes (highest being 44:43 and lowest being 42:53). There are about 8 or 9 chapter stops per episode and the video and audio is superb, as it should be. The video is in widescreen and for those who watched it on ABC Family, will like it even more this way! Packaging has a nice outer box with Kyle showing he has no belly-button on the front cover...the back cover has tons of information and more pictures. Inside the box is the digipak case. All three discs are inside. There are three panels, the first panel holds an ad for season two coming this summer on television and a coupon for Sour Patch candy...if you watched the show, this product is featured in many episodes. The second panel holds discs one and two...overlapping each other. The third panel has the final disc. Disc art is cool, with Kyle on disc one (same art as cover), disc two has the entire family, and disc thee has another shot of Kyle. The episodes per disc are four each, but the final disc has two episodes and the extras.
The menu screen has Play All, Episode Selection, Set Up, Audio Commentary, Sneak Peeks, and Bonus Features. The first three are on each disc. Audio Commentary and Sneak Peeks are just on disc one and Bonus Features is just on disc three. The main menu has a nice piano type music playing in the background with nice clips playing, with some white confetti type thing on the clips. It looks classical. The selector is cool, when we point to an option, the wordings below the actual wording turns upside down. Auto previews playing before the menu comes on disc one (they are the same previews as in sneak peeks). Set Up has where you can choosewhich language (English or Spanish) and subtitles (English, Spanish, or French).
Moving on to the extras. Disc one has the audio commentaries. "Pilot" has commentaries from Matt Dallas (Kyle), Eric Brass (co-creator), David Himelfarb (executive producer) and Julie Plec (producer). "Diving In" has commentaries from Matt Dallas (Kyle), April Matson (Lori), and Julie Plec (producer).
Then on disc three we have the remaining extras. An alternate pilot episode that runs 41:44. It has a different voice of Kyle with the narration, different opening credits, and more. Interesting to see. Then we have the extended season finale ("End Game"). It runs 45:39, so we get over a minute or so of new material. They should have given us deleted scenes instead, I guess. Finally, we have a featurette called "Kyle XY Declassified." It runs 18:02. The first 14 minutes or so it declassifies for us what happened in the first season, via clips and narration. The final four minutes or so has cast and crew interviews about season two, which is well underway. Season 2 premieres June 11 at 8pm on ABC Family! The extras are good, but they could have been a bit better...especially since BV usually gives a whole bunch of extras on their current series.
I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. And if you never have watched the show, pick this set up...this is the best basic cable series EVER! I am hooked and I cannot wait to watch the second season. It has comedy, drama, action, science fiction, and everything you can imagine. It is a fun show not just for families, but everyone. So, pick-up this set and join Kyle and the Trager family try to find out who he is!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Kyle XY TV.com Page
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, March 31
Fresh Off the Boat - "Blind Spot" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jessica's college boyfriend, Oscar Chow (guest star Rex Lee), comes to visit. She’s a bit miffed that Louis isn’t a little more jealous….but she’s got a blind spot and is completely oblivious to the fact that Oscar is gay. Meanwhile, Eddie goes to great lengths to get out of the school science fair.
New Girl - "The Right Thing" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jess crashes a funeral, hoping to delete a “sext” she recently sent to the deceased. Then, Schmidt’s mom, Louise (Nora Dunn), arrives in town for a visit to demand he write thank-you notes for his bar mitzvah gifts, and Winston is desperate to be off-duty friends with his police partner, Aly (guest star Nasim Pedrad).
Weird Loners - "Weird Pilot" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Find out what happens when a high-strung romantic, a serial womanizer, a free-spirited heartbreaker and a sheltered man-child are unexpectedly thrust into a Queens, NY, townhouse.
Undataeable - "An Imaginary Torch Walks Into a Bar" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
ustin's (Brent Morin) world is rocked when Nicki (guest star Briga Heelan) returns to Detroit and announces that she's engaged. To prove that he is cool with her moving on, Justin offers up the bar for her engagement party and Danny (Chris D'Elia) helps him make an important realization. Meanwhile, Burski (Rick Glassman) his miguided pursuit of Leslie (Bianca Kajlich), but Candace (Bridgit Mendler) helps the gang see his romantic side.
One Big Happy - "Crushing It" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
On a group trip to the gym, Lizzy (Elisha Cuthbert) spies her secret crush, Kate (guest star Erinn Hayes) and with the help of Luke (Nick Zano ), and Prudence(Kelly Brook), she initiates a conversation that leads to some plans for group bowling. Later, Luke and Prudence help get Lizzy an appointment with the best OB-GYN in the city and Lizzy is ecstatic - until they arrive to a big surprise. Meanwhile, Prudence realizes that Lizzy's pregnancy is making her feel left out and Leisha (Rebecca Corry) helps her explain her feelings to Luke.
Cougar Town - "Mary Jane's Last Dance" TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Grayson is determined to prevent Jules from running her birthday, but it will it be possible when everyone has major changes in their lives?
Sirens - "Six Feet Over/Under" (USA Network, 10:00PM ET/PT)
When Johnny's father goes into a coma, his mother places bets on the time of his death; the guys suffer an ear worm.
Younger - "Pilot" / "Liza Sows Her Oates" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
"Pilot" - 40-year-old Liza (Sutton Foster) passes herself off as 26 to land a job in the field of her dreams. Now she just has to make sure no one discovers her secret. Also stars Hilary Duff, Debi Mazar, Nico Tortorella and Miriam Shor.
"Liza Sows Her Oates" - As she settles into her new 26 year-old life, Liza is tasked with marketing an older writer to a younger audience. Although she has a perfect date with Josh, she tries to convince herself to aim for someone more age-appropriate.
Tuesday, March 31
- Josh Gad (The Comedians/1600 Penn/Back to You) - Catch Josh on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about The Comedians on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. He can be heard on The Morning Jolt with Larry Flick on Sirius OutQ channel 106 sometime between 7-11am.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine/Friends) - Thomas and Matthew are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rick Glassman, Bianca Kajlich and Ron Funches (Undateable) - Rick, Bianca and Ron are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Chris D'Elia (Undateable/Whitney) - Chris visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show.
- Mario Cantone (Sex and the City) - Mario joins Meredith to chat about the hottest celebrity beauty treatments and if they could be right for you on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristn discusses On the 20th Century on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Elisha Cuthbert (One Big Happy/Happy Endings) and Nick Zano (One Big Happy/What I Like About You) - Elisha and Nick talk about One Big Happy on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. Nick can be heard on Wake Up with Taylor on Sirius Stars channel 109 sometime between 6-9am. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie) - Peter talks about American Odyssey on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Debi Mazar (Younger/Entourage/Working) - Debi can be heard on The Morning Jolt with Larry Flick on Sirius OutQ channel 106 sometime between 7-11am.
- Sutton Foster and Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Sutton and Nico talk about TV Land's Younger on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Mo'Nique (The Parkers) - Mo'Nique is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Raven-Symoné (That's So Raven/Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/The Cosby Show) - Raven-Symoné guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Caroline Rhea (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Caroline guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal appears on VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am.