Saturday, May 19, 2007
Kyle XY: The Complete First Season - Declassified (Buena Vista, $39.99) brings all ten episodes from the first season of the highest rated original series in ABC Family Channel's history! When a boy emerges from the forest with no recollection of who he is, a kind social worker takes him into her family and everyone wants to know: who is Kyle XY? As the Trager family works to help Kyle discover his world, they must also address the truths in their own lives as they struggle to adjust to the newest member of their family. TV's most compelling new family drama comes to DVD in a 3-disc set features each thrilling first season episodes as well as bonus features that reveal more than ever about the remarkable boy named Kyle. Only on DVD can you get declassified show secrets and an exclusive alternate season pilot and extended season finale.
You will be hooked and want to watch each episode in order because it is very entertaining and interesting. So all 10 are memorable to me, but the ones that stand out are the "Pilot," "Diving In," and "End Game." Each episode runs approx. between 43-45 minutes (highest being 44:43 and lowest being 42:53). There are about 8 or 9 chapter stops per episode and the video and audio is superb, as it should be. The video is in widescreen and for those who watched it on ABC Family, will like it even more this way! Packaging has a nice outer box with Kyle showing he has no belly-button on the front cover...the back cover has tons of information and more pictures. Inside the box is the digipak case. All three discs are inside. There are three panels, the first panel holds an ad for season two coming this summer on television and a coupon for Sour Patch candy...if you watched the show, this product is featured in many episodes. The second panel holds discs one and two...overlapping each other. The third panel has the final disc. Disc art is cool, with Kyle on disc one (same art as cover), disc two has the entire family, and disc thee has another shot of Kyle. The episodes per disc are four each, but the final disc has two episodes and the extras.
The menu screen has Play All, Episode Selection, Set Up, Audio Commentary, Sneak Peeks, and Bonus Features. The first three are on each disc. Audio Commentary and Sneak Peeks are just on disc one and Bonus Features is just on disc three. The main menu has a nice piano type music playing in the background with nice clips playing, with some white confetti type thing on the clips. It looks classical. The selector is cool, when we point to an option, the wordings below the actual wording turns upside down. Auto previews playing before the menu comes on disc one (they are the same previews as in sneak peeks). Set Up has where you can choosewhich language (English or Spanish) and subtitles (English, Spanish, or French).
Moving on to the extras. Disc one has the audio commentaries. "Pilot" has commentaries from Matt Dallas (Kyle), Eric Brass (co-creator), David Himelfarb (executive producer) and Julie Plec (producer). "Diving In" has commentaries from Matt Dallas (Kyle), April Matson (Lori), and Julie Plec (producer).
Then on disc three we have the remaining extras. An alternate pilot episode that runs 41:44. It has a different voice of Kyle with the narration, different opening credits, and more. Interesting to see. Then we have the extended season finale ("End Game"). It runs 45:39, so we get over a minute or so of new material. They should have given us deleted scenes instead, I guess. Finally, we have a featurette called "Kyle XY Declassified." It runs 18:02. The first 14 minutes or so it declassifies for us what happened in the first season, via clips and narration. The final four minutes or so has cast and crew interviews about season two, which is well underway. Season 2 premieres June 11 at 8pm on ABC Family! The extras are good, but they could have been a bit better...especially since BV usually gives a whole bunch of extras on their current series.
I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. And if you never have watched the show, pick this set up...this is the best basic cable series EVER! I am hooked and I cannot wait to watch the second season. It has comedy, drama, action, science fiction, and everything you can imagine. It is a fun show not just for families, but everyone. So, pick-up this set and join Kyle and the Trager family try to find out who he is!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Kyle XY TV.com Page
How I Met Your Mother - "Daisy" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Marshall enlists Ted and Barney to help him figure out where Lily went when she left in the middle of their fight.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Soft Opening" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Business booms for Max and Caroline’s new cupcake walk-up window when word spreads about a shocking incident involving a rock star.
Mike & Molly - "Rich Man, Poor Girl" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Victoria brings home a new boyfriend and the entire family wonders if he’s finally “the one.”
Mom - "Belgian Waffles and Bathroom Privileges" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Christy has trouble accepting how much easier life is with Bonnie in the house. Meanwhile, Baxter sets up camp in the driveway.
Monday, March 10
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Watch Steve on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today between 7-9am. Finally, he chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andy appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Minnie Driver (About a Boy) - Minnie is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Weeds) - Kevin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nia Long (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), Zulay Henao (Love Thy Neighbor), Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) and Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs) - The cast of The Single Moms Club are guests on The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Paul Scheer (The League) - Paul appears on The Pete Holmes Show at midnight on TBS.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Ray appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Krysten Ritter (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - Krysten talks about her new movie Veronica Mars on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jennie Garth (What I Like About You) - Jennie joins Clinton Kelly and prepares a savory layered dish with mushrooms and polenta and discusses her new book (Deep Thoughts from a Hollywood Blonde) on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey and Troy Gentile (The Goldbergs) - Wendi and Troy will be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings. Wendi will also be on The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Chris Lowell (Enlisted) - Chris talks about the new Veronica Mars movie on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He will also be on WPIX Morning News at 8:45AM in New York and on HuffPost Live.
- Jenna Elfman (Growing Up Fisher/1600 Penn/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- The Cast of Mixology - The cast of Mixology will be guests on Pop Sugar on TV Guide Network at 6pm and on the next day on their website at noon.
- Jason Ritter (The Class) - Jason appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/Silver Spoons) - Jason visits NBC's Today between 7-9am.
- Wilmer Valderrama (That '70s Show) - Wilmer is a guest on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.