Monday, April 16, 2007
'Fresh Prince' Comes to TBS in May, 'Sister, Sister' to WGN in the Fall; TV Land Awards Preview, Includes Spoof 'Ugly Betty...White'
This means nearly all of Nick at Nite's shows are shared with other cable networks (Full House - ABC Family, Cosby Show - TBS/WGN, Roseanne - Oxygen). Even the shows that are not airing much like A Different World and Mad About You are shared (both with Oxygen). Murphy Brown and Designing Women are the only Nick at Nite shows that are not shared with another cable network (well, Growing Pains was on ION, but ION is really a broadcast channel, so it technically isn't shared).
Beginning this fall, Sister, Sister will join Superstation WGN. All six seasons of the half-hour comedy have been acquired for a three-year run.
It will air back-to-back episodes this fall on weekdays beginning at 5pm ET. Sister, Sister will be paired with The Cosby Show, leading into a comedy block of Funniest Pets & People, and America's Funniest Videos. No word yet on what will become of Moesha, but it will most likely air before Cosby Show.
Additionally, an episode of Sister, Sister is scheduled to air on Saturdays along with Even Stevens and Lizzie McGuire, which also appeal to young viewers.
The 5th TV Land Awards will premiere on April 22, but the awards show taped this past Saturday. It looks like it will be a fun-fest. Kelly Ripa was the host and I hear she did great. She might be the best host since the first awards host, which was the late John Ritter. It was an unforgettable evening as celebrities from television, music and film bestowed special tribute awards tonight to some of television's most iconic series and stars at the fifth annual TV Land Awards. The honorees included Lucille Ball (Legacy of Laughter Award), The Brady Bunch (Pop Culture Award), Roots (Anniversary Award), Hee Haw (Entertainer Award), Taxi (Medallion Award) and Heroes (Future Classic Award).
Legendary actress and comedienne Carol Burnett and Emmy Award-winning actress Kirstie Alley presented Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz Jr. with the Legacy of Laughter Award in honor of their mother, Lucille Ball. Actresses Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips of One Day at a Time presented the cast of The Brady Bunch with the Pop Culture Award. Grammy Award-winning country superstar Willie Nelson performed hits "On The Road Again" and "City of New Orleans" in a tribute to Hee Haw. Academy Award-winning actors Forest Whitaker and Morgan Freeman presented the cast of Roots with the Anniversary Award celebrating the epic 30th Anniversary. The cast of Taxi -- Danny DeVito, Jeff Conaway, Tony Danza, Judd Hirsch, Carol Kane, Randall Carver and creator James L. Brooks -- were presented with The Medallion Award by actress Sharon Stone. Actor Luke Wilson presented Heroes creator and executive producer Tim Kring with this year's Future Classic Award along with executive producers Dennis Hammer and Allan Arkush and cast members Masi Oka, Leonard Roberts, Noah Gray-Cabey, Zachary Quinto, Santiago Cabrera and Jack Coleman.
Other memorable moments included:
A hilarious videotaped intro where host Kelly Ripa reenacted the show opens to several memorable sitcoms including The Mary Tyler Moore Show, That Girl, and Laverne & Shirley. The package ended with Kelly flying above the live audience and making her entrance as "Sister Bertrille" from The Flying Nun.
TV's most beloved TV stars spoofed one of television's most popular shows, Ugly Betty, in a parody entitled Ugly Betty - White. The parody starred Betty White with cameos by Erik Estrada, Joan Collins, George Hamilton, Charo and Peter Scolari.
And a performance at the end of the show by The Brady Bunch's "The Silver Platters," as Maureen McCormick and Barry Williams were joined by host Kelly Ripa -- singing the unforgettable songs "Keep On" and "It's A Sunshine Day."
For more highlights, click HERE. And don't forget to watch the awards on TV Land on Sunday, April 22 at 9 p.m. ET/PT
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, July 19
The Middle - "Birds of a Feather" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Axl has big plans for his first day as a business intern at Little Betty. But his dreams of coming up with new ideas for the snack-making company go out the window when he’s reduced to doing menial tasks for an ungrateful boss. Meanwhile, while having to listen to Frankie complain about how much she hates working for the new dental-office owners, Smile Superstars International, Cindy informs Mike that she has kissed another boy and that he has to break the news to Brick; and Sue’s professor challenges her to stop seeing the world through rose-colored glasses and really open up and hone in on her critical thinking for a writing assignment.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Week in Review" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
There’s no question that Louis and Jessica make a great team. They each do their part to make sure everything runs smoothly at home, at the restaurant and the investment property. But when Eddie comes home with lice and infects others in the family, Louis leaves it to Jessica to clean up the mess. Meanwhile, Eddie tries to back out of a bet he made with his teacher, and his classmates suffer the consequences.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Shaquille O'Neal Motors" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
It’s Louis and Jessica’s wedding anniversary and Louis plans a romantic evening out – to the car dealership. Meanwhile, Evan and his “friends” help Eddie buy The Hot Dogger, a hot dog-shaped water slide.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Pat plans a camping trip to enjoy some father-and-son bonding time with Jimmy, Kenny also joins them to prove that even though he’s gay he can still be manly. During the camping trip, Pat continuously pressures Jimmy about his upcoming wrestling match, which leads to a surprising result. Meanwhile, after Eileen discovers Shannon has been skipping her classes and refuses confirmation, she invites Father Phil over to help answer Shannon’s challenging questions she has about Catholicism.
Wrecked - "The Trial" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
The survivors hold a trial after someone is seriously injured; the island makes a discovery that could change everything.
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck in Lockdown" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley and Ethan are determined to prove that Daphne is not as innocent as she portrays herself to be.
In the Cut - "Beverly's Back" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Beverly Clark, Jay's one-night stand and Kenny's mother, makes a surprise visit; Smitty has a bad case of the hiccups.
Tuesday, July 19
- Dave Franco (Scrubs/Do Not Disturb) - Catch Dave on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Keegan-Michael Key (Playing House/Gary Unmarried) - Keegan-Michael stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Free Agents) and Annie Mumolo (About a Boy) - Kathryn appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. Kathryn and Annie discuss their new comedy Bad Moms on the AOL Build Show at 2:15pm.
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Michael is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Paul Feig (The Jackie Thomas Show/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Paul visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tom Cavanagh (Ed/Scrubs) - Tom appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Lauren Lapkus (Clipped/Are You There, Chelsea?) - Lauren is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Jennifer appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison talks about Tallulah on NBC's Today in the 10am hour and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Loretta DeVine (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta joins the Chew Crew on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Abby Elliott (Odd Mom Out) - Abby talks about her show Odd Mom Out and real Upper East Side moms on People Now at 8:30am.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - The cast of Ghostbusters will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- George Lopez (Lopez/Saint George/George Lopez) - George guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Aimee Carrero (Young & Hungry) - Aimee is a guest on People Now at 8:30am.
- Busy Phillips (Cougar Town) - Busy appears on People Now at 8:30am.