Friday, March 02, 2007
FOX Mid-Season Pilot Review: The Winner - Premieres March 4; 'Cheers' Star Joins 'Dancing with the Stars'!
The Winner - Sundays at 8:30PM and 9:30 PM ET/PT for three weeks on FOX
Premieres March 4th at 8:30PM ET/PT
The summer of 1994 was a magical one – O.J. Simpson was on the run, Snoop Dogg was climbing the charts, Olympic hopeful Nancy Kerrigan was clubbed on the knee and 32-year-old GLEN ABBOTT (Rob Corddry) was finally on his way to becoming a man.
Back in 1994, when the series begins, Glen is still living with his parents when the only girl he’d ever kissed, ALISON McKELLAR (Erinn Hayes), returns to town with her 13-year-old son JOSH (Keir Gilchrist). The recently divorced Alison inspires Glen to become a “grown-up” and win her heart. There may be hope for late-bloomers everywhere as Glen moves through his formative years a mere 20 years later than most. But, hey, some people’s “Wonder Years” just happen a little later.
Luckily, Glen doesn’t have to go through this awkward period alone. He becomes best friends with Josh – a fellow hypochondriac and the only person he can truly relate to – and receives parental advice from his enabling mother IRENE (Linda Hart) and quasi-rage-aholic dad RON (Lenny Clarke). As narrated by present-day Glen, this story proves that an unlikely underdog can eventually transform from fear-riddled underachiever to the richest man in Buffalo.
THE WINNER comes from 20th Century Fox Television and is executive-produced by Seth MacFarlane (FAMILY GUY, AMERICAN DAD) and Ricky Blitt (FAMILY GUY, “The Ringer”).
Cast: Rob Corddry as Glen Abbott, Erinn Hayes as Alison McKellar, Lenny Clarke as Rob Abbott, Keir Gilchrist as Josh McKellar, Linda Hart as Irene Abbott
Read our review of the pilot and other episodes here.
Discuss the show after you watch it on Sunday on our message board.
Looks like I got my wish! A former sitcom star is joining Dancing with the Stars. Following the departure of Sopranos star Vincent Pastore, the producers of Dancing has chosen none other than John Ratzenberger, of Cheers fame. John of course played the mailman Cliff on the hit sitcom. Everybody knows his name and I'm sure fans are glad that he came! Show producers had previously extended an invitation to him to participate this season, but a scheduling conflict prevented him from accepting until now. He takes on the added challenge of having less time to train than his fellow competitors before the series premieres – two weeks versus four. The series' fourth season premieres March 19 on ABC.
Read the details here.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/07 - Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season
04/07 - The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series
04/07 - The Crazy Ones - The Complete First Season
04/07 - Frasier - The Complete Series
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 9th Season
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 10th Season
04/07 - 1600 Penn - The Complete Season 1
04/07 - Wanda at Large - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
04/07 - Wilfred - The Complete Season 4
04/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
04/21 - What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
04/28 - I Love Lucy - I Love Mom Edition
04/28 - The Jeffersons - Season Seven
04/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites: Season 5
04/28 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 28
New Girl - "Panty Gate" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Schmidt takes the fall to help Fawn out of a political scandal. Meanwhile, Jess declares herself a “love doctor” and Coach faces a life-changing decision with May.
Weird Loners - "The Weirdfather" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Stosh and Eric visit Stosh’s 12-year-old son, Frank, for the first time, and they bond over watching “The Godfather.” Meanwhile, Caryn becomes clingy and overbearing in her friendship with Zara.
Undataeable - "A Sibling Rivalry Walks Into a Bar" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
After Danny (Chris D'Elia) sets Leslie (Bianca Kajlich) up on a horrible blind date, Justin (Brent Morin) steps up when she needs a date to a work event. To prove he is a good brother, Danny makes his case to accompany Leslie. Meanwhile, Shelly (Ron Funches) helps Burski (Rick Glassman) get a cheap suit so he can impress Leslie.
One Big Happy - "Wedlocked" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Luke (Nick Zano) learns about a secret that Prudence (Kelly Brook) has been keeping from everyone, he disappears - leaving both their future and her immigration status in serious jeopardy. While Lizzy (Elisha Cuthbert) attempts to console Prudence and fix the situation, Luke hits the bars with Markus (Brandon Smith). And when all looks lost, Lizzy jumps in with a big, bold solution that will catch everyone by surprise.
Your Family or Mine - "The Will" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Gil's aunt dies, but nobody liked her until they find out she was leaving beh ind a potential fortune in her will. Oliver and Kelli scramble to find a way out when Shawni asks them to be her horrible son's guardians.
Younger - "Shedonism" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Liza gets to prove herself when Diana tasks her with running a book launch party for a notoriously demanding author. Maggie runs into an old crush, who's finally single, while Kelsey starts to fall for her new author, who's not.
Mann & Wife - "The Ex-Mann" (Bounce TV, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Daniel's ex-wife, Michelle, comes to visit and the family anxiously awaits her arrival; Michael's girlfriend has Daniel worried.
Tuesday, April 28
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Catch Patricia on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie) - Edie visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael is a guest on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Faris (Mom) - Anna stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Linda Cardellini (The Good Family/Guys Like Us) - Linda visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Stephen Tobolowsky (Californication) - Stephen is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zach Woods (Playing House/Silicon Valley/The Office) - Zach drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mo'Nique (The Parkers) - Mo'Nique opens up about why she believes she was blackballed by Hollywood after her Oscar win and more on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) and Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Anthony and Tracee are guests on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Tahj Mowry (Baby Daddy/Smart Guy) - Tahj is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings. He shares the latest, including his role on ABC Family's comedy series Baby Daddy, his transition into music and his upcoming debut album on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Tom Arnold (Sin City Saints/Tom/The Tom Show/Roseanne) - Tom talks about Any Day and Sin City Saints on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Yara Shahidi (black-ish) - Yara is a guest on People Now.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe appears on People Now.