Saturday, January 06, 2007
The New Adventures of He-Man - Volume 1 (BCI, $49.98) brings the first 33 episodes from the series only season. BCI did a VERY nice job with the original series, and this set is right on par I think. The series had just one season, and probably isn't as popular as the original series. I don't remember much about this series at all actually. Like the original He-Man, this was a first-run syndicated series and aired weekdays after school in 1990-91, so every day was basically a new episode. BCI will create two volumes for this series, which is a smart move and will be treated in the same manner just like the original series. So, of the 65 episodes, we got them on just two six-disc sets...not bad at all. Plus extras are included. In this series, He-Man heads to the future to the planet Primus. No more planet Eternia, but the villain Skeletor is back! The main villain in this really is Flogg and his mutants. This is certainly a new beginning and different from the original series, but still good! None of the original characters are back but He-Man and Skeletor. The menu screen has the options of Play All, Episodes, and Settings, with nice animated menus. When we select a sub-menu we get a nice transition music or even a nice transition video. When we select Settings, we change from English to Spanish, or vice versa. When we go to Episodes, nice animation and music plays with the episode title listed, you can choose play or select chapters to get to a scene faster. The director and writers of each episode are listed along with a nice long synopsis of the episode. Like the original series DVDs, these are the most informative episode menus I have ever seen. Nicely done! Chapters sub-menu has 4 stops with a nice little video in the box of each and interesting facts from Gleep on the right...again informative! The video is pretty good and the audio is also decent. There is one episode on disc 5 that had to be digitally remastered. I guess it had terrible prints, but the remastered episode looks great! The packaging is the same style as the original series, a nice outer box with a very nice looking digipak. There are nice images on the digipak along with memorable quotes from the episodes on this set. Each disc has its own section, so no overlapping and easy to take out. A nice episode booklet comes with the set that details so much along with two collectible 4 X 6 cards by two wonderful artists. On the episodes itself, each one runs just over 22 minutes or so. The bonus features are all on disc six. All the extras are listed on the main menu. The first option is Documentary Features, there are two of them: "Creating the New Adventures of He-Man" and this runs 28:04. Find out how the show got started and what it is about...great interviews. The next documentary is "The Comic Book Adventures of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" and this runs 25:16. This documentary shows us the 1982 comics and more! Then the next extra is called "Character Profiles." 50 detailed profiles of various Characters, Guest Characters and Technologies. When selecting one from each category, you get some text and you can play a little clip related to what you chose. Very cool. Then we have the series bible and scripts from episodes that can be accessed on your computer via DVD-ROM. They are in PDF format, so you will need Adobe Acrobat. Then we have four very short commercial bumpers that was used in first-run syndication. The total run time for all 4 in total is just 15 seconds. I wish they would have just kept this in the actual episodes. Finally, we have an Image Gallery where we can see 19 cool images. There is also a trailers section for other BCI/Ink & Paint DVDs such as She-Ra, Flash Gordon and the original He-Man.
This is indeed a wonderful set and BCI continues the He-Man brand in a great and quality way. I don't remember much about this show, but thanks to BCI, I can relive this and try to remember. Volume 2, which will have the final 32 episodes should be out in early 2007, I would think. They are releasing spin-off She-Ra as we speak and two more sets are still to come! By the power of good and the way of the magic, the battle begins anew, but buying this DVD is still the old way by clicking on the link below!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
The New Adventures of He-Man TV.com Page
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/01 - The League - The Complete Season Six
09/01 - New Girl - The Complete Fourth Season
09/08 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Two
09/08 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Second Season
09/08 - Mr. Belvedere - Season Four
09/15 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
09/15 - Family Guy - Season 13
09/18 - black-ish - The Complete First Season
09/22 - The Cosby Show - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
09/22 - Cristela - The Complete First Season
09/22 - Good Times - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
09/22 - King of the Hill - The Complete 12th Season
09/22 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete First Season
09/22 - Modern Family - The Complete Sixth Season
09/22 - The Nanny - Season Four
09/22 - The Partridge Family - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
09/29 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete First Season
09/29 - Mom - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, September 5
Monday, September 7
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) and Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Tina and Amy on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi is a panelist and musical guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Thomas Sadoski (Life in Pieces) - Thomas chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Vivica A. Fox (True Jackson, VP/Out All Night) - Vivica appears on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Alec Mapa (Half & Half/Some of My Best Friends) - Alec will be on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal talks about his book Yes, My Accent Is Real: And Some Other Things I Haven't Told You on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - Melissa is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Mario Cantone (Sex and the City) - Mario appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Danny is a guest on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Swoosie Kurtz (Mike & Molly/Love & Money) - Swoosie drops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jonathan Sadowski (Young & Hungry/S#*! My Dad Says) - Jonathan will be on People Chatter.