Sunday, January 21, 2007
Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Valentine (Paramount, $14.99) brings a classic Valentine's Day episode and three additional loved-themed animated episodes. This is the third set from Paramount featuring the Chipmunks. The last set was the Halloween set. Previously we had the Christmas special release. Paramount has also released the Chipmunk feature film from 1987 on a separate set. This set has a 1984 half-hour Valentine's Day episode titled "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" that aired during the original series' run! I'm so glad they put that on here because 1983-1987 or so is the best version of the Chipmunks, I think. DiC took over after that and changed the animation. It was good, but I loved the original. The classic half-hour episode is a music-filled adventure as Alvin develops an alter ego after Brittany rejects his invitation to the Valentine Ball. In a dream state, he becomes a dashing Don Juan called Captain Chipmunk. I remember watching this and loving it every time they aired it in the rotation on TV. The set also has three loved-theme episodes from The Chipmunk years, like I mentioned. The classic "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" episode runs 24:03. The other three are mini episodes, meaning each half hour had two episodes when they originally aired, and we get one of them here. The mini-episodes on this set are: "Dr. Simon and Mr. Heart Throb" (11:26), "Dear Diary" (11:16) and "Theodore and Juliet" (11:48). Only one of the three mini episodes have closing credits, as they probably were the first episodes of the half-hour. No chapter stops. Packaging is simple and in the same line as the previous sets--a nice case. The menu screen has Play All and Episode Selection, with a song from the Chipmunks in the background. A colorful menu with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes. When we go to episode selection, the episodes are listed with a screenshot from the episode. The menu is designed quite well and is easy to navigate. The video and audio are decent and very watchable. The classic 1984 special episode looks very good, but not as good as the mini-episodes. I hope we get full season episodes in the future starting with the 1983 episodes. I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. New fans might also want to, but I am hoping Paramount (or any other studio) releases the series on DVD in order with the classic episodes, and not just select episodes from The Chipmunks years. I like the old style animation the series had on NBC from 1983-87, and glad to see it for once on these DVDs. So, hopefully we get the series on DVD from the start next, but for now go out and buy this set to make that happen before Brittany doesn't accept Alvin's invitation to the Valentine Ball!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Alvin & the Chipmunks TV.com Page
Our regular ratings blog will return next Sunday, as I didn't have final numbers and I hate using the prelim fast nationals.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)
10/06 - Bewitched - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Grace Under Fire - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Happyish - Season One
10/06 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/06 - Party Down - The Complete Series
10/06 - South Park - The Complete Eighteenth Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - C.P.O. Sharkey - Mr. Warmth: The Ultimate Don Rickles TV Collection
10/20 - The Facts of Life - Season Seven
10/20- King of the Hill - The Complete 13th Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - My Favorite Martian - The Complete Series
10/20 - Nurse Jackie - Season Seven ((Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, October 8
Thursday, October 8
- Brie Larson (United States of Tara/Raising Dad) - Catch Brie on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lena Dunham (Girls) - Lena visits Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ted Danson (Cheers/Becker) - Ted drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nathan Lane (Charlie Lawrence/Encore! Encore!) - Nathan is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Paul F. Tompkins (DAG) - Paul appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Clark Gregg (The New Adventures of Old Christine) - Clark will be on the AOL Build Show at 2pm. He can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM Hits 1 at 9:50am.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia appears on People.com Chatter.
- John Larroquette (Night Court/The John Larroquette Show) - John talks about The Librarians on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso visits ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex) - Jenna talks about her new movie Big Stone Gap on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim talks about Madam Secretary on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Keisha Knight Pulliam (The Cosby Show/Tyler Perry's House of Payne) - Keisha is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.