Sunday, January 21, 2007
Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Valentine (Paramount, $14.99) brings a classic Valentine's Day episode and three additional loved-themed animated episodes. This is the third set from Paramount featuring the Chipmunks. The last set was the Halloween set. Previously we had the Christmas special release. Paramount has also released the Chipmunk feature film from 1987 on a separate set. This set has a 1984 half-hour Valentine's Day episode titled "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" that aired during the original series' run! I'm so glad they put that on here because 1983-1987 or so is the best version of the Chipmunks, I think. DiC took over after that and changed the animation. It was good, but I loved the original. The classic half-hour episode is a music-filled adventure as Alvin develops an alter ego after Brittany rejects his invitation to the Valentine Ball. In a dream state, he becomes a dashing Don Juan called Captain Chipmunk. I remember watching this and loving it every time they aired it in the rotation on TV. The set also has three loved-theme episodes from The Chipmunk years, like I mentioned. The classic "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" episode runs 24:03. The other three are mini episodes, meaning each half hour had two episodes when they originally aired, and we get one of them here. The mini-episodes on this set are: "Dr. Simon and Mr. Heart Throb" (11:26), "Dear Diary" (11:16) and "Theodore and Juliet" (11:48). Only one of the three mini episodes have closing credits, as they probably were the first episodes of the half-hour. No chapter stops. Packaging is simple and in the same line as the previous sets--a nice case. The menu screen has Play All and Episode Selection, with a song from the Chipmunks in the background. A colorful menu with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes. When we go to episode selection, the episodes are listed with a screenshot from the episode. The menu is designed quite well and is easy to navigate. The video and audio are decent and very watchable. The classic 1984 special episode looks very good, but not as good as the mini-episodes. I hope we get full season episodes in the future starting with the 1983 episodes. I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. New fans might also want to, but I am hoping Paramount (or any other studio) releases the series on DVD in order with the classic episodes, and not just select episodes from The Chipmunks years. I like the old style animation the series had on NBC from 1983-87, and glad to see it for once on these DVDs. So, hopefully we get the series on DVD from the start next, but for now go out and buy this set to make that happen before Brittany doesn't accept Alvin's invitation to the Valentine Ball!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Alvin & the Chipmunks TV.com Page
Our regular ratings blog will return next Sunday, as I didn't have final numbers and I hate using the prelim fast nationals.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, March 29
The Simpsons - "Super Franchise Me" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Marge opens a sandwich franchise store after her sandwiches become a huge hit at Springfield Elementary. But running day-to-day at the store proves challenging, especially when the same franchise opens another location across the street.
Bob's Burgers - "Carpe Museum" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
While acting as a parent chaperone on the school’s trip to the museum, Bob has a father-daughter bonding moment with Louise. Meanwhile, Gene and his friends are on a hunt to find exhibits that feature the female anatomy. Also, Tina questions her dorkiness and, on the steps of the museum, Linda lends her unique chanting abilities to striking museum workers.
The Simpsons - "Covercraft" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Homer has a mid-life crisis, takes up bass guitar and forms a cover band with some of the other dads in town. But the band’s modest early success is soon overwhelmed by the breakout potential of their most unlikely star, Apu.
Family Guy - "Our Idiot Brian" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Meg convinces Brian to take the SATs for her, but when he tests poorly, they start to suspect that Brian might not be that smart, after all. Naturally, Peter shows Brian the joys of being stupid and the benefits of having a low IQ.
The Last Man on Earth - "She Drives Me Crazy" / "Mooovin' In" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Phil Miller continues to live in Tucson.
I Didn't Do It - "Logan Finds Out" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Logan is dumped by his girlfriend; Lindy, Garrett and Delia find out that Jasmine likes Logan but she begs her friends to keep her secret.
K.C. Undercover - "Daddy's Little Princess" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Coopers are tasked with protecting Prince Promomomo; Craig becomes worried when K.C. and the Prince begin flirting.
Sunday, March 29
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/Mary Tyler Moore) - Betty talks about her passion for life on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 9pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Regina King (227) - Catch Regina on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Watch Neil on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kristen Schaal (The Last Man on Earth/The Hotwives of Orlando/30 Rock) - Kristen visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Becki Newton (Weird Loners/The Goodwin Games/How I Met Your Mother) - Becki appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. Becki and Zachary Knighton will also be on Good Day LA on Fox 11 LA KTTV in Los Angeles.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Regina King (227) - Regina chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy talks about the game show Monopoly Millionaires’ Club on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace discusses her new Hallmark Movies & Mysteries original A Bone to Pick: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kevin Rahm (I Hate My Teenage Daughter) - Kevin talks about what to expect on the final season of his popular show Mad Men on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton discusses her starring role in TV Land's Younger and talks about her exciting solo debut at Carnegie Hall on HuffPost Live at 3:40pm.
- Rob Corddry (The Winner) - Rob is a guest on SportsNation at 3pm on ESPN2.
- Garcelle Beauvais (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Garcelle guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee is a guest on VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am.
- The Cast of Younger - Patricia Field, Sutton Foster, Hilary Duff, Debi Mazar, Miriam Shor, Nico Tortorella and creator Darren Star are guests on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.