Sunday, January 21, 2007
Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Valentine (Paramount, $14.99) brings a classic Valentine's Day episode and three additional loved-themed animated episodes. This is the third set from Paramount featuring the Chipmunks. The last set was the Halloween set. Previously we had the Christmas special release. Paramount has also released the Chipmunk feature film from 1987 on a separate set. This set has a 1984 half-hour Valentine's Day episode titled "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" that aired during the original series' run! I'm so glad they put that on here because 1983-1987 or so is the best version of the Chipmunks, I think. DiC took over after that and changed the animation. It was good, but I loved the original. The classic half-hour episode is a music-filled adventure as Alvin develops an alter ego after Brittany rejects his invitation to the Valentine Ball. In a dream state, he becomes a dashing Don Juan called Captain Chipmunk. I remember watching this and loving it every time they aired it in the rotation on TV. The set also has three loved-theme episodes from The Chipmunk years, like I mentioned. The classic "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" episode runs 24:03. The other three are mini episodes, meaning each half hour had two episodes when they originally aired, and we get one of them here. The mini-episodes on this set are: "Dr. Simon and Mr. Heart Throb" (11:26), "Dear Diary" (11:16) and "Theodore and Juliet" (11:48). Only one of the three mini episodes have closing credits, as they probably were the first episodes of the half-hour. No chapter stops. Packaging is simple and in the same line as the previous sets--a nice case. The menu screen has Play All and Episode Selection, with a song from the Chipmunks in the background. A colorful menu with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes. When we go to episode selection, the episodes are listed with a screenshot from the episode. The menu is designed quite well and is easy to navigate. The video and audio are decent and very watchable. The classic 1984 special episode looks very good, but not as good as the mini-episodes. I hope we get full season episodes in the future starting with the 1983 episodes. I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. New fans might also want to, but I am hoping Paramount (or any other studio) releases the series on DVD in order with the classic episodes, and not just select episodes from The Chipmunks years. I like the old style animation the series had on NBC from 1983-87, and glad to see it for once on these DVDs. So, hopefully we get the series on DVD from the start next, but for now go out and buy this set to make that happen before Brittany doesn't accept Alvin's invitation to the Valentine Ball!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Alvin & the Chipmunks TV.com Page
Our regular ratings blog will return next Sunday, as I didn't have final numbers and I hate using the prelim fast nationals.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/07 - Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season
04/07 - The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series
04/07 - The Crazy Ones - The Complete First Season
04/07 - Frasier - The Complete Series
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 9th Season
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 10th Season
04/07 - 1600 Penn - The Complete Season 1
04/07 - Wanda at Large - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
04/07 - Wilfred - The Complete Season 4
04/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
04/21 - What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
04/28 - I Love Lucy - I Love Mom Edition
04/28 - The Jeffersons - Season Seven
04/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites: Season 5
04/28 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, April 19
The Simpsons - "Waiting for Duffman" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Duffman (guest voice Stacy Keach) undergoes hip replacement surgery and retires, the company sets up a reality show competition to find his replacement. Homer wins the competition, and because the job requires him to stay sober, he learns that beer isn’t as necessary as he thought to have a good time.
Bob's Burgers - "My Big Fat Greek Bob" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Bob scores a temporary gig as a cook at an “underdog” frat house and discovers that he fits right in! Hijinks ensue as Bob and the rest of the fraternity brothers find themselves in the middle of a collegiate prank war that involves the house's most famous alumnus, Dr. Yap (guest voice Ken Jeong). Meanwhile, the kids are on a mission to invade the frat house and get in on the action.
The Simpsons - "Peeping Mom" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bart lies about being involved in a bulldozer crash, so Marge decides to follow him everywhere until he confesses. Meanwhile, Homer ignores Santa’s Little Helper when Flanders gets a new dog.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Beach House" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
The team is excited to spend the weekend at Charles’ beach house for a detectives-only-getaway, until Jake ruins the fun by inviting Captain Holt. Meanwhile, Charles helps Rosa send romantic texts to her new boyfriend (guest star Nick Cannon), and Gina tries to get Amy drunk, simply for her own enjoyment.
Family Guy - "Once Bitten" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
After attending obedience school, Brian becomes much more submissive, and Peter realizes he misses his old, feistier pal. Meanwhile, Chris makes a new friend at school, but feels betrayed when he discovers it was all a ploy to get closer to Meg.
The Last Man on Earth - "Moved to Tampa" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Is it Tucson or Tampa for Phil Miller & the gang?
Liv and Maddie - "Prom-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 7:30PM ET/PT)
Andie asks Holden to prom before Liv can; Karen arranges for Craig to take Maddie to prom while Diggie's away.
Austin & Ally - "Duos & Deception" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Trish books a famous brother-sister duo to perform with the A&A students; a code inspector threatens to shut the school down.
K.C. Undercover - "Spy-anoia Will Destroy Ya" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
K.C.'s brother Ernie brings home his new girlfriend, Jolie; K.C. is suspicious and believes Jolie is a spy.
I Didn't Do It - "Stevie Likes Lindy" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A rich kid named Stevie falls for Lindy and tries to buy her heart; Garrett's hiding that he has his driver's license.
Sunday, April 19
- Brandy Norwood (The Game/Moesha/Thea) - Catch Brandy on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Travolta (Welcome Back, Kotter) - Watch John on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- John Stamos (Jake in Progress/Full House/You Again?) - John drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ron Funches (Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Dick Van Dyke (The Dick Van Dyke Show/The New Dick Van Dyke Show) - Dick is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny Slate (Married/Parks and Recreation) - Jenny appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Tony Hale (Veep/Arrested Development) - Tony drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Josh Gad (The Comedians/1600 Penn/Back to You) - Josh chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Michael joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:15am.
- Suzanne Cryer (Silicon Valley/Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place) - Suzanne talks about what to expect on the second season of Silicon Valley on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick discusses his new film Adult Beginners and talks about saying goodbye to his sketch comedy series Kroll Show on HuffPost Live at 12pm.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily discusses her new comedy Grandma and shares details on reuniting with Jane Fonda in the upcoming Netflix series Grace and Frankie (premiering May 8) on HuffPost Live at 12:30pm.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Parks and Recreation/Free Agents) - Kathryn talks about Happyish on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister/Roommates) - Tamera will be on People Now.
- Wendy Raquel Robinson (The Game/The Steve Harvey Show/Minor Adjustments) - Wendy is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.