Sunday, January 21, 2007
Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Valentine (Paramount, $14.99) brings a classic Valentine's Day episode and three additional loved-themed animated episodes. This is the third set from Paramount featuring the Chipmunks. The last set was the Halloween set. Previously we had the Christmas special release. Paramount has also released the Chipmunk feature film from 1987 on a separate set. This set has a 1984 half-hour Valentine's Day episode titled "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" that aired during the original series' run! I'm so glad they put that on here because 1983-1987 or so is the best version of the Chipmunks, I think. DiC took over after that and changed the animation. It was good, but I loved the original. The classic half-hour episode is a music-filled adventure as Alvin develops an alter ego after Brittany rejects his invitation to the Valentine Ball. In a dream state, he becomes a dashing Don Juan called Captain Chipmunk. I remember watching this and loving it every time they aired it in the rotation on TV. The set also has three loved-theme episodes from The Chipmunk years, like I mentioned. The classic "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" episode runs 24:03. The other three are mini episodes, meaning each half hour had two episodes when they originally aired, and we get one of them here. The mini-episodes on this set are: "Dr. Simon and Mr. Heart Throb" (11:26), "Dear Diary" (11:16) and "Theodore and Juliet" (11:48). Only one of the three mini episodes have closing credits, as they probably were the first episodes of the half-hour. No chapter stops. Packaging is simple and in the same line as the previous sets--a nice case. The menu screen has Play All and Episode Selection, with a song from the Chipmunks in the background. A colorful menu with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes. When we go to episode selection, the episodes are listed with a screenshot from the episode. The menu is designed quite well and is easy to navigate. The video and audio are decent and very watchable. The classic 1984 special episode looks very good, but not as good as the mini-episodes. I hope we get full season episodes in the future starting with the 1983 episodes. I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. New fans might also want to, but I am hoping Paramount (or any other studio) releases the series on DVD in order with the classic episodes, and not just select episodes from The Chipmunks years. I like the old style animation the series had on NBC from 1983-87, and glad to see it for once on these DVDs. So, hopefully we get the series on DVD from the start next, but for now go out and buy this set to make that happen before Brittany doesn't accept Alvin's invitation to the Valentine Ball!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Alvin & the Chipmunks TV.com Page
Our regular ratings blog will return next Sunday, as I didn't have final numbers and I hate using the prelim fast nationals.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, June 25
The Thundermans - "Chutes and Splatters" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Phoebe's newest superhero mission is to babysit President Kuckbutt's troublemaking teen daughter, but the assignment quickly snowballs out of control when Phoebe's charge sneaks into the town's illegal nightclub.
Bella and the Bulldogs - "Biggest. Game. Ever" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Everything the Bulldogs have worked for has led up to this game- the state championship against their rivals Whitworth! But when their new game plan is not working, the team has a shocking realization.
Sunday, June 26
- Sandra Bernhard (Roseanne) - Catch Sandra on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Watch Eric on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Nia Long (Uncle Buck/The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Nia is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Marc Maron (Maron) - Marc appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Natasha Leggero (Another Period/Free Agents) - Natasha appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenny Slate (Married/Bob's Burgers) - Jenny stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Zach Woods (Silicon Valley/Playing House/The Office) - Zach appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Greg Proops (True Jackson, VP) - Greg is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jill Kargman (Odd Mom Out) - Jill visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kellita Smith (The First Family/The Bernie Mac Show) - Kellita stops by The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101) - Jamie reveals that her husband and daughter are hounding her for more children on People Now at 8:30am.
- Craig Bierko (Unhitched/Madman of the People/Sydney) - Craig is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela talks about Hulu's Casual on the AOL Build ShoW at 11am.
- Louis C.K. (Louie) and Kevin Hart (The Big House/Undeclared) - Louis and Kevin talk about The Secret Life of Pets on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Tony Shalhoub (We Are Men/Wings)- Tony will be on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.