Sunday, January 21, 2007
Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Valentine (Paramount, $14.99) brings a classic Valentine's Day episode and three additional loved-themed animated episodes. This is the third set from Paramount featuring the Chipmunks. The last set was the Halloween set. Previously we had the Christmas special release. Paramount has also released the Chipmunk feature film from 1987 on a separate set. This set has a 1984 half-hour Valentine's Day episode titled "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" that aired during the original series' run! I'm so glad they put that on here because 1983-1987 or so is the best version of the Chipmunks, I think. DiC took over after that and changed the animation. It was good, but I loved the original. The classic half-hour episode is a music-filled adventure as Alvin develops an alter ego after Brittany rejects his invitation to the Valentine Ball. In a dream state, he becomes a dashing Don Juan called Captain Chipmunk. I remember watching this and loving it every time they aired it in the rotation on TV. The set also has three loved-theme episodes from The Chipmunk years, like I mentioned. The classic "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" episode runs 24:03. The other three are mini episodes, meaning each half hour had two episodes when they originally aired, and we get one of them here. The mini-episodes on this set are: "Dr. Simon and Mr. Heart Throb" (11:26), "Dear Diary" (11:16) and "Theodore and Juliet" (11:48). Only one of the three mini episodes have closing credits, as they probably were the first episodes of the half-hour. No chapter stops. Packaging is simple and in the same line as the previous sets--a nice case. The menu screen has Play All and Episode Selection, with a song from the Chipmunks in the background. A colorful menu with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes. When we go to episode selection, the episodes are listed with a screenshot from the episode. The menu is designed quite well and is easy to navigate. The video and audio are decent and very watchable. The classic 1984 special episode looks very good, but not as good as the mini-episodes. I hope we get full season episodes in the future starting with the 1983 episodes. I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. New fans might also want to, but I am hoping Paramount (or any other studio) releases the series on DVD in order with the classic episodes, and not just select episodes from The Chipmunks years. I like the old style animation the series had on NBC from 1983-87, and glad to see it for once on these DVDs. So, hopefully we get the series on DVD from the start next, but for now go out and buy this set to make that happen before Brittany doesn't accept Alvin's invitation to the Valentine Ball!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Alvin & the Chipmunks TV.com Page
Our regular ratings blog will return next Sunday, as I didn't have final numbers and I hate using the prelim fast nationals.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Read Our Review
11/04 - The Exes - Seasons 1 & 2
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series / Read Our Review
11/06 - Kenan & Kel - The Best of Seasons 3 & 4
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dharma & Greg - The Complete Season 2
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Broad City - Season 1
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/02 - The Simpsons - The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - Family Guy - Volume 13
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 18
The Big Bang Theory - "The First Pitch Insuffiency" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Wolowitz is nervous after NASA asks him to throw out the first pitch at a Los Angeles Angels game. Meanwhile, Leonard and Penny try to prove Sheldon wrong after he says that he and Amy are a “superior couple.">
Mom - "Free Therapy and a Dead Lady's Yard Sale" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Family secrets come out when Christy and Bonnie are asked to join Violet's therapy session.
Two and a Half Men - "Clockwise in Back Hole Until Tight" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
alden and Alan are determined to convince Louis that Santa Claus is real.
The McCarthys - "Red Sox Swap" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Pam, the McCarthys’ upstairs tenant, is heartbroken over a recent breakup, Marjorie invites her to celebrate Christmas with the family and watch them play their extremely competitive annual gift exchange game. Alyson Hannigan guest stars as Pam, the upstairs tenant; Gilles Marini guest stars as Maurice, Ronny’s date.
Thursday, December 18
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Catch Nick on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Christine Baranski (Cybill/Welcome to New York) - Christine is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) - Jim drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rosie O'Donnell (Gimme a Break!) - Rosie appears on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris) - Chris visits Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11pm. Charlie Rose interviews Chris on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Margaret Cho (All-American Girl) - Margaret is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew will be on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John C. McGinley (Ground Floor/Scrubs) - John stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Rockmond Dunbar (The Game/Girlfriends) - Rockmond is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Pauly Shore (Pauly) - Pauly stops by SportsNation at 3pm on ESPN2.
- Willie Garson (Sex and the City/Mr. Belvedere) - Willie discusses what to expect in the final season of White Collar on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Annie on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer's new breakout role of playing a character battling chronic pain who is addicted to prescription painkillers will be featured on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri talks about Top Five and her Gotham Comedy Club appearance on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.