Sunday, January 21, 2007
Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Valentine (Paramount, $14.99) brings a classic Valentine's Day episode and three additional loved-themed animated episodes. This is the third set from Paramount featuring the Chipmunks. The last set was the Halloween set. Previously we had the Christmas special release. Paramount has also released the Chipmunk feature film from 1987 on a separate set. This set has a 1984 half-hour Valentine's Day episode titled "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" that aired during the original series' run! I'm so glad they put that on here because 1983-1987 or so is the best version of the Chipmunks, I think. DiC took over after that and changed the animation. It was good, but I loved the original. The classic half-hour episode is a music-filled adventure as Alvin develops an alter ego after Brittany rejects his invitation to the Valentine Ball. In a dream state, he becomes a dashing Don Juan called Captain Chipmunk. I remember watching this and loving it every time they aired it in the rotation on TV. The set also has three loved-theme episodes from The Chipmunk years, like I mentioned. The classic "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" episode runs 24:03. The other three are mini episodes, meaning each half hour had two episodes when they originally aired, and we get one of them here. The mini-episodes on this set are: "Dr. Simon and Mr. Heart Throb" (11:26), "Dear Diary" (11:16) and "Theodore and Juliet" (11:48). Only one of the three mini episodes have closing credits, as they probably were the first episodes of the half-hour. No chapter stops. Packaging is simple and in the same line as the previous sets--a nice case. The menu screen has Play All and Episode Selection, with a song from the Chipmunks in the background. A colorful menu with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes. When we go to episode selection, the episodes are listed with a screenshot from the episode. The menu is designed quite well and is easy to navigate. The video and audio are decent and very watchable. The classic 1984 special episode looks very good, but not as good as the mini-episodes. I hope we get full season episodes in the future starting with the 1983 episodes. I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. New fans might also want to, but I am hoping Paramount (or any other studio) releases the series on DVD in order with the classic episodes, and not just select episodes from The Chipmunks years. I like the old style animation the series had on NBC from 1983-87, and glad to see it for once on these DVDs. So, hopefully we get the series on DVD from the start next, but for now go out and buy this set to make that happen before Brittany doesn't accept Alvin's invitation to the Valentine Ball!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Alvin & the Chipmunks TV.com Page
Our regular ratings blog will return next Sunday, as I didn't have final numbers and I hate using the prelim fast nationals.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, May 30
American Dad - "Mine Struggle" (TBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Stan discovers a salt mine in the backyard, but Steve turns out to be the rightful owner of the land, and faces pressure from the family to sell.
The Detour - "The Track" (TBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Nate's plan to get his job back unravels once they arrive; a nearby race track offers hope.
The Detour - "The Beach" (TBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
The Parkers try to take down Nate's company through whistle blowing.
Monday, May 30
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Watch Anthony on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara (Schitt's Creek) - Eugene and Catherine are guests on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat/Victorious) - Ariana is a musical guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jason Sudeikis (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Jason is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Riki Lindhome (Another Period/Super Fun Night) - Riki appears on a repeat of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Tom Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ron Funches (Undateable) - Ron appears on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Ray is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jussie Smollett (On Our Own) - Jussie guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zendaya (K.C. Undercover/Shake It Up) - Zendaya appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Michael races against the clock in a celebrity guessing game on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.