Sunday, January 21, 2007
Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Valentine (Paramount, $14.99) brings a classic Valentine's Day episode and three additional loved-themed animated episodes. This is the third set from Paramount featuring the Chipmunks. The last set was the Halloween set. Previously we had the Christmas special release. Paramount has also released the Chipmunk feature film from 1987 on a separate set. This set has a 1984 half-hour Valentine's Day episode titled "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" that aired during the original series' run! I'm so glad they put that on here because 1983-1987 or so is the best version of the Chipmunks, I think. DiC took over after that and changed the animation. It was good, but I loved the original. The classic half-hour episode is a music-filled adventure as Alvin develops an alter ego after Brittany rejects his invitation to the Valentine Ball. In a dream state, he becomes a dashing Don Juan called Captain Chipmunk. I remember watching this and loving it every time they aired it in the rotation on TV. The set also has three loved-theme episodes from The Chipmunk years, like I mentioned. The classic "I Love Chipmunks Valentine" episode runs 24:03. The other three are mini episodes, meaning each half hour had two episodes when they originally aired, and we get one of them here. The mini-episodes on this set are: "Dr. Simon and Mr. Heart Throb" (11:26), "Dear Diary" (11:16) and "Theodore and Juliet" (11:48). Only one of the three mini episodes have closing credits, as they probably were the first episodes of the half-hour. No chapter stops. Packaging is simple and in the same line as the previous sets--a nice case. The menu screen has Play All and Episode Selection, with a song from the Chipmunks in the background. A colorful menu with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes. When we go to episode selection, the episodes are listed with a screenshot from the episode. The menu is designed quite well and is easy to navigate. The video and audio are decent and very watchable. The classic 1984 special episode looks very good, but not as good as the mini-episodes. I hope we get full season episodes in the future starting with the 1983 episodes. I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. New fans might also want to, but I am hoping Paramount (or any other studio) releases the series on DVD in order with the classic episodes, and not just select episodes from The Chipmunks years. I like the old style animation the series had on NBC from 1983-87, and glad to see it for once on these DVDs. So, hopefully we get the series on DVD from the start next, but for now go out and buy this set to make that happen before Brittany doesn't accept Alvin's invitation to the Valentine Ball!
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Alvin & the Chipmunks TV.com Page
Our regular ratings blog will return next Sunday, as I didn't have final numbers and I hate using the prelim fast nationals.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - Season Seven - The Farewell Season
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series
06/02 - Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
06/02 - The Abbott and Costello Show - The Ultimate Collection
06/09 - The Facts of Life - Season Six
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 7 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 7 & 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series
06/16 - The Odd Couple - The Complete Series
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Twelfth and Final Season
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Series
06/23 - George Lopez - The Complete Fourth Season
06/23 - Workaholics - Season Five (Blu-ray)
06/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 3 (MPI Home Video)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, July 2
The Big Bang Theory - "The Intimacy Acceleration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
As a joke, Sheldon and Penny try an experiment designed to make participants fall in love. Also, Leonard, Amy, Raj and Emily spend the evening trying to escape a room with a “zombie.” And, after returning from Mrs. Wolowitz’ funeral, Bernadette and Howard run into trouble at the airport.
Mom - "Crazy Eyes and a Wet Brad Pitt" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Christy and Bonnie are in the lap of luxury when Christy's wealthy sponsee, Jill, asks them to keep her company on her first night out of rehab. Jaime Pressly guest stars as Jill. Rick Fox guest stars as James, Jill’s husband.
Thursday, July 2
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Catch Andy on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Laura Prepon (That '70s Show/Are You There, Chelsea?) - Laura appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Parks and Recreation/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Jennifer Morrison (How I Met Your Mother) - Jennifer visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Joey McIntyre (The McCarthys) - Joey appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira ShoW, so check your local listings.
- Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie) - Peter is a guest on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Adrian chats on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time), Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier) and Wendie Malick (Hot in Cleveland/Just Shoot Me!) - The ladies of Hot in Cleveland chat on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Melissa Peterman (Baby Daddy/Reba) - Melissa chats on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Married with Children) - Christina drops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Bella Thorne (Shake It Up) - Bella stops by Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on People Now.
- J.K. Simmons (Growing Up Fisher/Family Tools) - J.K. talks about Terminator: Genisys on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.