Saturday, August 26, 2006
Alvin & the Chipmunks: Trick or Treason (Paramount, $14.99) brings a classic Halloween special and four spooky animated episodes. This is the second set from Paramount featuring the Chipmunks. The last set was the Christmas special release along with a few holiday-themed episodes. Both releases have episodes only when the show was renamed to The Chipmunks in 1988 and 1989. DiC designed the show then and they don't look the same as from 1983-87, but they still look great! Paramount has also released the Chipmunk feature film from 1987 on a separate set. This set has a 1994 half-hour Halloween special that aired on cable, titled "Trick or Treason," hence the title of this DVD. Alvin wants to join the Monster Club this Halloween and you will get to see them perform a great rendition of the hit tune "Monster Mash." The set also has spooky episodes, like I mentioned. On this volume are all mini episodes, meaning each half hour had two episodes when they originally aired, and we get one of them here. The episodes on this set are: "Babysitter Fright Night," "Theodore's Life as a Dog," "Nightmare on Seville Street," and "No Chipmunk is an Island." Two of the four episodes do not have closing credits, as they probably were the first episodes of the half-hour; runtimes range from about 10-12 minutes each. The menu screen has Play All and Episode Selection, with a song from the Chipmunks in the background. When we go to episode selection, the episodes are listed with a screenshot from the episode. The menu is designed quite well and is easy to navigate. The video and audio are decent and very watchable. I highly do recommend any fan to pick up this set. New fans might also want to, but I am hoping Paramount (or any other studio) releases the series on DVD in order, and not just select episodes from The Chipmunks years. So, hopefully that happens, but for now go out and buy this set to make that happen before Dave says "Alvinnnnn!"
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase the DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Alvin & the Chipmunks TV.com Page
We might have two special mini-DVD reviews during the week this week. So stay tuned for that. And if all goes well, next Saturday we will have a special mini-review of not a DVD, but a TV-movie, about Diff'rent Strokes, which will premiere on Labor Day on NBC. We also will have a review of Barry Williams' (Greg Brady on The Brady Bunch) new CD. Should be fun!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/01 - The League - The Complete Season Six
09/01 - New Girl - The Complete Fourth Season
09/08 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Two
09/08 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Second Season
09/08 - Mr. Belvedere - Season Four
09/15 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
09/15 - Family Guy - Season 13
09/18 - black-ish - The Complete First Season
09/22 - The Cosby Show - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
09/22 - C.P.O. Sharkey - The Complete Season 2
09/22 - Cristela - The Complete First Season
09/22 - Good Times - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
09/22 - King of the Hill - The Complete 12th Season
09/22 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete First Season
09/22 - Modern Family - The Complete Sixth Season
09/22 - The Nanny - Season Four
09/22 - The Partridge Family - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
09/29 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete First Season
09/29 - Mom - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 5
The Big Bang Theory - "The Bachelor Party Corrosion" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The guys’ science skills are put to the test when they get a flat tire during Leonard’s bachelor party weekend in Mexico. Also, the girls force Penny to finally tell her family that she eloped with Leonard.
Life in Pieces - "Sleepy Email Bunch Tree" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Matt invites Colleen to brunch with the family, he coaches her through the difficult task of connecting with them. Also, John, Matt and Greg try to prove their masculinity by cutting down a tree in Greg's backyard, Tim has an adverse reaction to espresso, and a sleep-deprived Greg has a run-in with the cops.
Significant Mother - "Not About Bob" (The CW, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Nate asks Sam and Atticus to help convince Jimmy that he made a mistake; Lydia considers advice from her boss; Harrison has a realization about his marriage to Lydia.
Monday, October 5
- John Stamos (Grandfathered/Jake in Progress/Full House) - Watch John on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. He also discusses Grandfathered on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/How to Be a Gentleman/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Help Me Help You) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat) - Randall visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- David Krumholtz (Partners/The Trouble with Normal) - David is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nathan Lane (Charlie Lawrence/Encore! Encore!) - Nathan stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex) - Jenna talks about her new movie Big Stone Gap on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kelly Jenrette (Grandfathered) - Kelly discusses her new series Grandfathered on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James talks about Life in Pieces on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Fran Drescher (The Nanny/Happily Divorced) - Fran talks about her role in the animated movie Hotel Transylvania 2 on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Maura Tierney (NewsRadio) - Maura is a guest on People Now.
- Christina Milian (Grandfathered) - Christina appears on The Real, so check your local listings.