Tuesday, May 16, 2006
7:00PM America's Funniest Home Videos
8:00PM Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
9:00PM Desperate Housewives
10:00PM Brothers & Sisters (NEW)
8:00PM Wife Swap
9:00PM The Bachelor / Supernanny (midseason)
10:00PM What About Brian
8:00PM Dancing with the Stars / Set for the Rest of Your Life
9:00PM Let's Rob... (NEW)
9:30PM Help Me Help You (NEW)
10:00PM Boston Legal
8:00PM Dancing with the Stars: The Results / George Lopez & According to Jim
10:00PM The Nine (NEW)
8:00PM Big Day (NEW)
8:30PM Notes from the Underbelly (NEW)
9:00PM Grey's Anatomy
10:00PM Six Degrees (NEW)
8:00PM Betty The Ugly (NEW)
9:00PM Men in Trees (NEW)
8:00PM ABC Saturday Night College Football
Additionally to Supernanny & Set for Your Life, ABC will add the following to mid-season: new sitcom In Case of Emergency; new dramas Day Break, Traveler; and new reality entries Just For Laughs, Greg Behrendt's Wake-Up Call. ABC will air returning sitcoms George Lopez & According to Jim after the first installment of Dancing with the Stars' season is over in December or January.
Lost is expected to air in two big chunks without repeats. So, maybe one new drama for January will air for 6 weeks or so in its time-slot until it returns (as of now, Day Break is scheduled).
Discuss the ABC line-up here.
For the third year in a row, I had a pleasure to watch ABC's upfront presentation live today from 4-6pm ET. It was interesting and the clips for most of the shows look promising. The sitcoms all look smart and well written (all single camera). The dramas look like they can become big hits, especially Six Degrees, Brothers & Sisters and The Nine. William Shatner was on hand mocking last year's Marc Cherry dance at the upfront. Then all the men stars of ABC from Matthew Fox, Tom Bergeron, Jim Belushi and more came by. Shatner introduced the comedies portion of ABC's roster. Then Jimmy Kimmel came by and was hilarious. He introduced the alternative series ABC has. There was a bet between Kimmel and ABC head Steve McPherson on which Dancing with the Star would be booted first--Kenny Mayne or Master P? McPherson lost, so he had to do a dance with Edyta (professional dancer) live on stage. Then the cast of Grey's Anatomy introduced the dramas portion of ABC's roster. And finally the six ladies of Desperate Housewives closed the presentation.
Some answers to some questions: Yes, Commander in Chief is canceled, but ABC could bring back the show in two-hour movie format with the entire cast. Invasion is canceled, and ABC said they loved the show so much and it is too bad it never caught on in the ratings. The CW could still pick it up, so fans of the show still have some life. And mid-season drama What About Brian will return next fall. The show is from J.J. Abrams, who will have three shows on the fall lineup for ABC, but the series didn't do too well in the ratings (it did grow in each outing its last three airings). Though, a right lead-in was not provided. In the fall The Bachelor will be the lead-in, so that will help a bit. Reality show American Inventor will be back sometime next season.
Nick@Nite is adding NewsRadio and A Different World to its line-up in July. Both will not get Nick@Nite-type launch marathons, because they will be incorporated right into their annual summer marathons. NewsRadio will air Monday nights from 2-6am and A Different World will air Wednesdays from 10pm-2am. They also will get regular airings on weekends, Different at 10 p.m. and NewsRadio at 4am (ouch). The rest of the summer marathon line-up can be found here and details of reality original series Hi-Jinks' second season is there, too.
Meanwhile, sister station TV Land has not yet announced its July line-up (only change expected is 227 joining the line-up), but they made some huge schedule changes that will start this coming Monday (May 22)! The weekday line-up from 8am-2pm is completely different, as is the evening 5-8pm line-up, and some other slots later in the night. The Munsters & Green Acres get the best out of these changes, as both will have three airings. This schedule will be in effect in June too, but Benson will be the only change on June 5 as it joins the line-up at 11 p.m. You can view ALL the May 22 schedule changes by clicking here.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, March 3
Fresh Off the Boat - "Showdown at the Golden Saddle" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Things are looking up for the Huangs when Louis gets the restaurant a billboard in a prime spot in Orlando. They even get an invite to the country club. But when someone repeatedly vandalizes the billboard, they’re left wondering why. Eddie works hard to get the attention of the girl he’s crushing on (Luna Blaise as Nicole), but it doesn’t help matters when his mom hires her to babysit him.
New Girl - "Walk of Shame" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
After a night of partying at Bearclaw’s (guest star Josh Gad), Jess and Cece make their way back to the loft and run into a familiar face. Meanwhile, Coach worries about bringing Nick and Winston around his sophisticated new girlfriend, May (guest star Meaghan Rath).
The Mindy Project - "Fertility Bites" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Mindy’s fertility clinic opens. But with zero track record in the fertility field, attracting new patients is tougher than she imagined. Meanwhile, at Shulman & Associates, the nurses try to raise money for obese nurses while trying to get to know Dr. Bergdahl.
Cougar Town - "Two Men Talking" TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Fearing that her dad, Chick, is lonely, Jules tries to set him up with Grayson as a best friend. Laurie helps Andy fit in with a cool mom group and Travis and Ellie open up to each other in the Winebulance.
Sirens - "Let Pytons Be Pythons" (USA Network, 10:00PM ET/PT)
A car crash at a firehouse releases an unusual passenger; Billy accompanies Theresa and Maeve to a sample sale.
Tuesday, March 3
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Catch Tom on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Bridgit Mendler (Undateable/Good Luck Charlie/Wizards of Waverly Place) - Bridgit is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Angela Kinsey (The Hotwives of Orlando/The Office) - Angela appears on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- J.B. Smoove (The Millers/'Til Death/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - J.B. talks about the new season of Four Courses with J.B. Smoove and MSG's Garden of Laughs comedy show on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kendra C. Johnson (Tyler Perry's Love Thy Neighbor) - Kendra stops by The Real, so check your local listings.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Robbie Amell (1600 Penn/True Jackson, VP/Life with Derek) - Robbie talks about The Flash and The Duff on The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Larry talks about Fish in the Dark on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Jeremy Sisto (Suburgatory) - Jeremy talks about A&E's The Returned on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Forrest Wheeler and Ian Chen (Fresh Off the Boat) - Forrest and Ian talk about their new comedy series on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Ming-Na Wen (The Single Guy) - Ming-Na Wen will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Juliette Lewis (I Married Dora) - Juliette joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Molly Ringwald (Townies/The Facts of Life) - Molly talks about The Breakfast Club's 30th Anniversary on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour.
- Mo'Nique (The Parkers) - Mo'Nique is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.