Thursday, September 22, 2005
I hope everyone saw episode two of that interesting series TV Land Confidential. The last two weeks TV Land has aired box sets featuring some of the shows featured in the Confidential episode. Now, TV Land has revealed all the shows airing for the rest of the series' run!
Some of the topics include the Happy Days gang talking about Chuck, poker, a rigged beauty contest and Mork; famous Good Times episodes involving James wanting to take a $100 a day job from a holy man and J.J.'s drug addict fiancee (Debbie Allen).
For the complete episodes airing in these box sets, click here. And don't forget to watch the TV Land Confidential episodes themselves, every Wednesday night at 10 p.m. ET/PT on TV Land!
And in today's TV DVD news, short-lived but great sitcom All-American Girl is coming to DVD! The show was about a Korean family and it aired on ABC in the 1994-95 season, starring Margaret Cho. Culture-clash comedy about a hip, thoroughly assimilated Korean-American girl and her very traditional mother. Twenty-one-year-old Margaret and her mother, Katherine, fought constantly, mostly over dates; Mom wanted her to become the deferential wife of some nice Korean boy, while Margaret favored Caucasians in leather biker garb. Stuart was Margaret's Goody Two-shoes older brother, engaged and studying to become a cardiologist while deferentially spending most of his time at his parents'. Eric, the younger brother, looked up to his sister, much to Mom's chagrin. Dad (Benny) just ducked for cover as the women lobbed one-liners at each other. The scene alternated between the Kims' nice white town house, their family business ("Kim's Books"), and the department store where Margaret worked at a cosmetics counter, all presumably in San Francisco. Ruthie and Gloria were coworkers who egged Margaret on. Another unexpected ally was Grandma, a stereotype-buster in her younger days, who was now either senile or very wise.
Some of the other sitcoms that aired on ABC in 1994-95 include Thunder Alley, Grace Under Fire, Home Improvement and Roseanne. All-American Girl will come out on DVD January 31 via Shout! Factory, according to TVShowsonDVD.com. We are very happy that this sitcom will make it to DVD!
We are a bit early on today's news, so keep checking back if we have anything else to share.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, March 4
The Middle - "Flirting with Disaster" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Frankie finds herself innocently flirting with Axl's hot friend, Finn. But when she makes a not-so-innocent remark about him to her sister, she fears that both Finn and Axl may have overheard her conversation. Meanwhile, Sue is forced to take Brick to a “Planet Nowhere” sci-fi convention, and Frankie's dad, Tag (Jerry Van Dyke), asks Mike to secretly help him study and pass his driver's test so that he can keep his license from being taken away.
The Goldbergs - "Happy Mom, Happy Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Dana and Adam have to parent a doll for class, Beverly becomes a grand-smother and compromises their project AND relationship. Meanwhile, Erica is annoyed Barry takes up all her best friend time with Lainey. To get back at him, she joins the JTP and they shun Barry out of the group, but it later backfires for Erica.
Modern Family - "Closet? You'll Love It" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jay and Claire scramble to shoot a Pritchett Closets commercial in response to their competitor’s new and catchy ad, but there might be some creative differences between father and daughter. A peeping-Tom in the neighborhood keeps using a drone to spy on Gloria sun-bathing so Phil, Luke and Manny make it their mission to take it down. Elsewhere, a tone deaf Lily prepares to perform in her school talent show and Cameron is more worried about it than she is, and Haley’s feelings for Andy become even more complicated when he gets rushed to the hospital with appendicitis.
black-ish - "Parental Guidance" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre, determined to make up for the no-frills, last-minute wedding he and Bow had, organizes an amazing vow renewal for their 15th anniversary. But when Bow’s hippie-dippy parents, Alicia (Anna Deveare Smith) and the very white Paul (Beau Bridges) show up unannounced -- bombshells are dropped and old disagreements re-ignite between the two families, especially with Pops and Ruby (Jenifer Lewis).
Schitt's Creek - "The Cabin" (Pop, 10:00PM ET/PT)
When Johnny and Moira use the mayor's cabin for the night, Alexis and David throw a party.
Melissa & Joey - "Parental Guidance" (ABC Family, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Joe makes the difficult decision to call Felicia when he learns that Dani has broken the rules.
Baby Daddy - "Happy Birthday Too You" (ABC Family, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Ben panics when he forgets his mother's birthday; Emma is injured while in Riley and Tucker's care.
The Game - "Switch!" (BET, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Blue has suspicions about Keira and Malik; Coach Sparks has a heart attack; Chardonnay vows to return to San Diego for revenge.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Goes on Family Fight" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
When the gang appears on a nationally broadcasted game show, Dennis does his best to keep the gang's weirdness under wraps.
Man Seeking Woman - "Branzino" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Josh is convinced that he's finally found his soul mate.
Love Thy Neighbor - "The Ring" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Philip doubts himself; Hattie convinces him to start over and give Linda the ring.
Wednesday, March 4
- Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Aziz on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Danny is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She will also be on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She also talks about her new ABC series American Crime on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Vivica A. Fox (True Jackson, VP/Arsenio/Out All Night) - Vivica talks about her experience on The Celebrity Apprentice and tells us what she really thinks about Kenya Moore on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren talks about dating her Parenthood co-star Peter Krause and reveals why one of her co-stars sent stolen property to her house on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Fran Drescher (The Nanny/Happily Divorced) - Fran appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- James Van Der Beek (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - James and the cast of CSI: Cyber are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about Archer on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Jeremy Sisto (Suburgatory) - Jeremy is a guest on Big Morning Buzz Live on VH1 at 9am.
- Nick Jonas (Jonas LA) - Nick appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.